Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jul 3, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #12,439 of 13,800
Anyone tried fixing dead dial and display by themselves? I mean like soldering out old broken components for a new ones? I never opened my unit but the dial and display is dead since September because of slight power surge, the only solution they give me is to flash firmware which is software, not hardware.

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #12,441 of 13,800
I have given up on it - I am losing a completely specc'd Wave a V2 Infinity Pulse and A Tube HPA. I had received a LPS which is sitting around completely unused and getting dusty.
As so many who do not even check at their homepage or IGG any more I had let myself been pulled into the Marketing and buying frenzy that they were so good in building up.
We should all get together and sue their a.... off. But unfortunately I have been told that we would have not many chances against IGG and LHLabs.
So I do hope that everyone of them who should turn up at a meeting (like this Gavin) will have to face the anger of his victims on a very personal level.

Jul 4, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #12,442 of 13,800
They probably do not have enough money to make the lawsuit attractive for attorneys working on a contingent basis. A settlement would likely not net each user a significant portion of the money that have lost. Besides, a win would likely push LHL into a situation where they would just declare bankruptcy. This would, of course, end any possibility of anyone ever seeing anything that they paid for.

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #12,443 of 13,800
I don't care anymore- I will use the products if they ever get delivered- but what makes me mad with the mono amps contribution was that I was led to believe they were in final stages of development and obviously they were not. I believe it was RMAF 14

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #12,444 of 13,800
hah maelob I remember your dilemma because you ordered one and didn't realize you needed two. I put the deposit down on the stereo amp and then cancelled and never got a refund been waiting like 10 months. I open a new ticket every couple months but I've given up hope :frowning2:

Jul 7, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #12,445 of 13,800
HELP

So about two months now, my Xfinity has become a pain to deal with. It's connected to windows 10. Every time I turn on the Pulse, I get a buzz through my headphones. If this happens, I can't get any music or noise through to the headphones from the computer. I have to keep turning the Pulse on and off until I don't hear the buzz. Now, even if I don't hear the buzz, no music can go through. At this point, I have to reconnect the usb that is connected to the computer. After reconnecting, if I hear the buzz, then I have to start over by turning on and off the Pulse.

Only by luck, if I happened to turn on the Pulse without any buzz, and reconnect the usb without any buzz through the headphones, only then can I listen to music. If I hear a buzz any time through this process, then basically, I have to reset the Pulse and start over. I spend about 15-30 minutes doing this whenever I want to use the Pulse.

Has this happened to anyone? If so, is there any fixes?

I have emailed Lh lab support about a month ago and still no reply.

Is this the XFI? I have the XFI.

Windows 10 creators upgrade makes is pretty much unuseable. I'll look into selling mine as I don't trust it won't blow my grado up with popping and noise.
I have to put the bitrate down to 44 to make it run. I can then upscale it but after some times it stops again. The LHM don't do anything to help. I realise this might be to the "native" usb dac support in Creators Upgrade of Winows 10. But when sometimes the device stops and starts popping.. Yeah, no good for my low impendance phones.

I have an Asus Formula VIII motherboard with a cable that works for every other dac.

I have many other "Low-end" dacs and none of them have given me problems like this.

Piece of crap really.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #12,446 of 13,800
Is this the XFI? I have the XFI.

Windows 10 creators upgrade makes is pretty much unuseable. I'll look into selling mine as I don't trust it won't blow my grado up with popping and noise.
I have to put the bitrate down to 44 to make it run. I can then upscale it but after some times it stops again. The LHM don't do anything to help. I realise this might be to the "native" usb dac support in Creators Upgrade of Winows 10. But when sometimes the device stops and starts popping.. Yeah, no good for my low impendance phones.

I have an Asus Formula VIII motherboard with a cable that works for every other dac.

I have many other "Low-end" dacs and none of them have given me problems like this.

Piece of **** really.
Did you reinstall the driver for the Pulse... after the upgrade? Is the Pulse detected in the driver control panel?

Actually I have read around here that the native support in Founders edition for Class 2 audio is spotty at best.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #12,447 of 13,800
Did you reinstall the driver for the Pulse... after the upgrade? Is the Pulse detected in the driver control panel?

Actually I have read around here that the native support in Founders edition for Class 2 audio is spotty at best.

I did reinstall them but then it stopped working... like nothing worked.

At least i can do 41K bitrate with windows native ones...

Maybe I got the wrong file this time though.

Edit: did get it working now. Anyone else here running their Pulse on 24/7 so you avoid popping?
Thinking it might die sooner.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #12,448 of 13,800
I did reinstall them but then it stopped working... like nothing worked.

At least i can do 41K bitrate with windows native ones...

Maybe I got the wrong file this time though.

Edit: did get it working now. Anyone else here running their Pulse on 24/7 so you avoid popping?
Thinking it might die sooner.
Even though many have said it makes a sonic difference, I do not leave it powered all of the time. My listening sessions with the Pulse are to few and far between. I try to do some planning when I want to use it. If possible I turn it on an hour or so before listening. I may do this on a Friday afternoon for a weekend where I hope to listen. If I listen an hour or two after turning it on, I think it is fine. I really can't tell any difference after it has been on for 24 hours. I believe that in that amount of time, it has had plenty of time to stabilize any components that require this. Including the clocks.

Electronics don't like heat, period. The Pulse does get warm. I am sure that leaving it on long term will effect its longevity. Things like capacitors will definitely deteriorate faster when at constantly elevated temperatures. The pulse is notorious for QC issues. I say, Why push it if it is not required.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #12,449 of 13,800
Even though many have said it makes a sonic difference, I do not leave it powered all of the time. My listening sessions with the Pulse are to few and far between. I try to do some planning when I want to use it. If possible I turn it on an hour or so before listening. I may do this on a Friday afternoon for a weekend where I hope to listen. If I listen an hour or two after turning it on, I think it is fine. I really can't tell any difference after it has been on for 24 hours. I believe that in that amount of time, it has had plenty of time to stabilize any components that require this. Including the clocks.

Electronics don't like heat, period. The Pulse does get warm. I am sure that leaving it on long term will effect its longevity. Things like capacitors will definitely deteriorate faster when at constantly elevated temperatures. The pulse is notorious for QC issues. I say, Why push it if it is not required.

I have the cheaper version and bought it used so I wouldn't really mind if it died on me - as long as it don't bring my Grados with it.

Everytime I turn it on There's that loud popping noise which I have to unplug the headphones for (i guess)...

I also use it with gain set on the PC. Would this strain it less or does it actually push it harder than it would if I were to set the volume on the device?

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #12,450 of 13,800
I have the cheaper version and bought it used so I wouldn't really mind if it died on me - as long as it don't bring my Grados with it.

Everytime I turn it on There's that loud popping noise which I have to unplug the headphones for (i guess)...

I also use it with gain set on the PC. Would this strain it less or does it actually push it harder than it would if I were to set the volume on the device?
I can't see why it would hurt anything. I have been using mine exclusively as a DAC. I leave the attenuation set at 0. I use a combination of the digital gain in Foobar and the volume control on the amp. I usually have the digital gain maxed for peace of mind... no lost bits.

In this configuration...and always leaving it on for an hour or more before use, I never hear any startup noises.

In your case, just let it start without the headphones plugged in. I do this with every amp and DAC/amp that I use. It is the safe thing to do.
If you really don't care if it dies early, I am not sure what the question is. Just let it run 24/7.

Doing either or both would solve your problem. But I suggest getting into the habit of NOT plugging headphones into any amplification until the device has fully started and hopefully stabilized.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back