Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Mar 30, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #11,058 of 13,800
I paid $20 more than you for a brand new one, base model.  When I first received it I thought it was too light to have quality components and the chassis wasn't anything amazing to look at.  However, about 100 hours into using it, I do think it is a quality DAC and I've previously owned DACs ranging from $100-1,500.  The amp section is actually decent as well.  I can't say it is my end-game DAC, but it gets the job done and I can't really find any major faults.  It's probably more psychological that I don't rate it higher.  The cheap wall wart and the aesthetics aside, use it for a while and then decide.  Give it a little break-in period too.   

Quote:
  I just bought the GEEK PULSE basic version off ebay for $280, is this version crap? I thought it had two DACs, but apparently it's just one. Should I just resell this? 

Mar 30, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #11,059 of 13,800

Quote:

I paid $20 more than you for a brand new one, base model.  When I first received it I thought it was too light to have quality components and the chassis wasn't anything amazing to look at.  However, about 100 hours into using it, I do think it is a quality DAC and I've previously owned DACs ranging from $100-1,500.  The amp section is actually decent as well.  I can't say it is my end-game DAC, but it gets the job done and I can't really find any major faults.  It's probably more psychological that I don't rate it higher.  The cheap wall wart and the aesthetics aside, use it for a while and then decide.  Give it a little break-in period too.   

If it works I think is a great deal. Listen to it to see if you like it. 

It's essentially as new, I'm asking because I've only had the dragonfly before and it broke (got bent while USB was plugged in). Since I have no reference how something in the range 300+ should sound like, I'm asking if there are better things out there at that price point. I have the x2 headphones (WOOX version). If in your opinion a cheaper DAC sounds just as good i'll just resell it for the same amount of money and get that instead.

Mar 30, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #11,060 of 13,800
Still waiting on Pulse Infinity 2.0, and I was an early backer. Anyone else from the UK still waiting?

I'm still waiting on mine in the USA. I've been told three times in the last two months that I should expect as shipping notice within a couple of days. Two weeks ago I was told "my" board was on the bench for a listening test, but no update since. Makes me wonder whether it didn't pass or whether it's just gathering dust in a soon-to-be-empty warehouse. I saw some recent posts here that suggest the Infinity units are trickling out, but it's hard to remain optimistic about ever receiving the unit.

EDIT: Meanwhile, I listen through a vanilla pulse > LC > LCD2, which sounds great, so I definitely hope the Infinity will someday find it's way here.

Mar 30, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #11,061 of 13,800
I'm not sure how good resale is on the Pulse, but I dare say that if you don't need portability, the Pulse is an excellent value at $300 and you might not find much better at that range.  My vote is for you to keep it.  The last sub-$300 DAC/amp I had was the iFi iDSD Nano and I prefer the Pulse over that.  After the Nano I had the iFi iDSD Micro and I would probably choose the Micro over the Pulse.  It's been a while since I've had the Dragonfly, but definitely I would pick the Pulse.  DAC preference is subjective, but you likely will be pleasantly surprised with your $300 Pulse.  If you really want to save money and didn't really want to spend $300 then that's a different situation and lots of sub-$200 USB DACs.          

Quote:

It's essentially as new, I'm asking because I've only had the dragonfly before and it broke (got bent while USB was plugged in). Since I have no reference how something in the range 300+ should sound like, I'm asking if there are better things out there at that price point. I have the x2 headphones (WOOX version). If in your opinion a cheaper DAC sounds just as good i'll just resell it for the same amount of money and get that instead.

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #11,062 of 13,800
Just heard back from LHL support and they indeed want me to try flashing the MCU.  
Trouble is I can't seem to figure out how the top plate slides over to expose the microSD slot.
Am I an idiot?  Probably.  

Can anyone help?

Cheers
Sam 

EDIT

Never mind ... the top was just very tight.  I gave it some more elbow grease and it slid off.  Its only held in place with 4 magnets and whatever friction there is with the case.

redface.gif

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #11,063 of 13,800
I'm not sure how good resale is on the Pulse, but I dare say that if you don't need portability, the Pulse is an excellent value at $300

it'll be resold for $300 again, portability isn't an issue for me. The ifi Macro has been sold for $250, Nano for $100 on ebay before, geek out v2 at $160, Audioquest nighthawk for $350. ebay prices have not much incommon with retail, the only reason I paid that much for pulse is cause I thought it's $1000 retail. it's all about the timing on ebay.

Is there a big difference between nano/micro, geek pulse and what kind of micro (ican/idac, etc)? and what do you think about the x2's, what's better than it?

Thanks. 

Mar 31, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #11,064 of 13,800
  it'll be resold for $300 again, portability isn't an issue for me. The ifi Macro has been sold for $250, Nano for $100 on ebay before, geek out v2 at $160, Audioquest nighthawk for $350. ebay prices have not much incommon with retail, the only reason I paid that much for pulse is cause I thought it's $1000 retail. it's all about the timing on ebay.

Is there a big difference between nano/micro, geek pulse and what kind of micro (ican/idac, etc)? and what do you think about the x2's, what's better than it?

Thanks. 

I see that you're looking for advice, but what you're continuing on with is starting to get like asking what someone else's favourite colour is and whether you should change yours...

WNBC has given you some pretty decent feedback/advice and certainly enough for you to firm up a personal decision with. In my opinion you seem to be wanting to sell the vanilla Pulse and that's skewing your interpretation of what he's telling you. 

Just make a call, then follow through. Any of these DAC-amps are OK, but only as long as you accept that they could be. If component chasing is your thing, then move on up to spending some real money and there you can start to discuss the potential worthiness of the pieces vs. another. 

That's my take.

Regarding people waiting:
Yeah, I agree that opening a ticket and asking LH Labs for ETA is next to useless. Besides finding out that they just haven't forgotten about you or checking that they've still got enough money to pay someone to sit at a computer and answer tickets, whatever they tell you about an ETA doesn't hold any water. We all know that from getting "it'll be ready in1-4 months" answers for the past 3 years. 

I'm happy with my gear and the more I read about this stuff the more I feel that the stars aligned to put the Pulse X Infinity V2 and LPS4 V2 in my hands...

Mar 31, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #11,065 of 13,800
  I see that you're looking for advice, but what you're continuing on with is starting to get like asking what someone else's favourite colour is and whether you should change yours...

WNBC has given you some pretty decent feedback/advice and certainly enough for you to firm up a personal decision with. In my opinion you seem to be wanting to see the vanilla Pulse and that's skewing your interpretation of what he's telling you. 

Just make a call, then follow through. Any of these DAC-amps are OK, but only as long as you accept that they could be. If component chasing is your thing, then move on up to spending some real money and there you can start to discuss the potential worthiness of the pieces vs. another. 

I asked for clarification on those comments. Appreciate the money wasting advice though.

Mar 31, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #11,067 of 13,800
How were you able to get a LPS4 in the 2.0 chassis?

Here's my post about it:

Here's a little eye candy for y'all!

I finally got back from my trip and got time to hook it all up, so here is the Infinity Stack. Pulse X Infinity and Pulse LPS4 both in V2 chassis. As far as I've seen, I'm the only person I know of that has the combo. Eat it! Hahahaha!

Really though, who's eating it, me? It took nearly 2.5 years to get it and I had to live through Perkagedon... The real stepping stone were the several issues that my V1 LPS4 had which sent it in for an extended RMA with no estimated date of return. That then coincided with the release of the V2 LPS4 which has a totally new PCB and layout.

After a slew of emails I got slotted in for a V2 LPS4 and now have a matching stack, which I am quite pleased about.
That old LPS4 with the new V2 Infinity would have been horrible.

As for sound, the blackness is what grabs me. The notes climb out of the darkness like I've never heard. There's also GOBS of detail. The plankton is much appreciated. With this and the new headphones it's made for a great night.

Next step is to get a balanced cable for my headphones, then try an outboard amplifier with the X Infinity on dedicated DAC duties.

Basically I got my original LPS4 in the V1 chassis, but it was borked. I filed an RMA, but it fell through as I was never given the proper details to take care of it and then the case was auto-closed, unbeknownst to me. I then went on the road for several months and no progress happened. Once work calmed down and I got home I filed a second RMA that just happened to be just before they released the teasers of the LPS4/8 in chassis 2.0. When discussions started up about the repairs we were on the rocks for a while over a few issues, #1 being the non-included, custom wound OFC R-cores that were supposed to be in the LPS4 originally and what it was sold as as an ungrade to the regular LPS, but that were then not put in it. #2 being the "matching set" that it was also sold as, but that clearly wasn't happening with a V2 Infinity and an ugly V1 LPS4. Some how the trickled out remedy was to abort any work with my V1, chuck it, and send me a new V2 chassis with the redesigned and fixed PCB once available. And that's what happened and it seems to be working great, so far. 

In the end I was happy with what they did as there wasn't really an alternative to making good on the custom wound r-cores this late in the game. I'm not happy I don't have probably the biggest selling point of the original upgrade, but I also had to understand it was basically this or nothing. They were also pretty great with emails and shipping out the LPS4 V2 on the dates I had to work with. I was on a tight schedule and flying out for another few months on the road, so they had to fit in the work they were doing and shipping lead time. 

Edit: I'm pretty sure going forward the single rail LPS is discontinued and all retail units will be LPS4 or LPS8.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #11,068 of 13,800

Sharing my JRiver Settings. These are the same I use Geek Out also.

Normally I prefer Kernel Streaming:

And upsample everything to DSD128..

If you prefer ASIO these are the settings under Audio Device:

Remember:

1. Setting Bitstreaming to NONE converts everyhing to PCM

2. Output Encoding under DSP studio changes Output.
NONE = leave as is
DSD in DoP = converts/upsamples everything to DSD64
2x DoP  = converts/upsamples everything to DSD128

3. Sample Rate as the name imply changes PCM sample rates. This will work only if in Output Encoding section is NONE (no DSD convertion).
NONE = leave as is 
44100 - 384000 = respective sample rates that you can convert.

Examples:
Bistreaming: NONE, Output Encoding: NONE, Sample Rate: All 384000
Meaning: All signals are converted to PCM at 384000 Hz

Bitstreaming: DSD, Output Encoding: DSD in DoP, Sample Rate: NONE
Meaning: All signals are upsampled to DSD64. DSD128 is downsampled to DSD64

Bitstreaming: DSD, Output Encoding: NONE, Sample Rate: NONE
Meaning: DSD are played/bitstreamed to their respective sample rates, and so does PCM.

Happy tweaking...

Hey I followed this guide and now I have no sound from my browser, media players. The windows default setting says it's LG geekPulse labs, but it doesn't show anything being played even when I am playing stuff in jriver (which sounds fine only there). Can you tell me how to fix this?

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #11,069 of 13,800
I've been living for many months with sound only out of JRiver, and only through the Geek Out into headphones. Could use this advice myself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back