Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Mar 25, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #11,026 of 13,800
I was one of the lucky ones to have received my LPS and Pulse Infinity 2.0 in early fall.  Since then I have been thoroughly enjoying it.  I love how detailed and neutral this dac is and how well it compliments the HE560.  Balanced cables are a must.  There is a perfect weight on the bottom end and there is absolutely zero background noise ... black as can be.

Till now I have managed to stay away from the drama and headaches that have plagued some other customers.  Other than some initial issues where my PC did not recognise the unit, things have been great.  So much so that I have been considering adding a dedicated amp.

Unfortunately this evening my Pulse became unresponsive to any dial input.  I went to adjust the volume but this had no effect.  The screen seemed frozen and the unit did not respond when the dial was depressed either.  Weird thing is the music was still playing.  After a power cycled, the Pulse's display stopped working and the dial remains unresponsive.  The unit still plays music though.  I'm listening to HDTrack's 24/96 release of Graceland as I post this message.  I've never heard this album sound better.

I loath the idea of having to send this unit back to LH labs.  Perhaps support can come up with a solution which avoids this.

I'll let you know how it goes. 

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #11,027 of 13,800
I woke up this morning (Good Friday morning in Australia) and found a shipment email from LHLabs for my Pulse Infinity X unit, 1G and 2G cables. I wonder how long DHL will take to deliver this unit. I hope very much that there would be no issues with the unit when I receive it.

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #11,028 of 13,800
I had this exact problem with my infinity, which was apparently due to a a bug in the MCU firmware. I ended up returning for a fix, but it wis probably worth trying to update the MCU firmware (I'm using 1.27 - i found problems with 1.28 / 1.29 which made the volume knob unresponsive - a bug which should be fixed in later versions when released).

My present issue is cross talk between SPDIF inputs making my BLUE useless, sadly despite initial personal contact with Larry and usual support requests I'm getting nowhere (it needs fixing!). Ticket #23685 has been open for more than a month Larry! Ignoring and merging my reminder tickets won't fix the problem!

Perhaps all is not well in LH Labs towers?!

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #11,029 of 13,800
  I had this exact problem with my infinity, which was apparently due to a a bug in the MCU firmware. I ended up returning for a fix, but it wis probably worth trying to update the MCU firmware (I'm using 1.27 - i found problems with 1.28 / 1.29 which made the volume knob unresponsive - a bug which should be fixed in later versions when released).

My present issue is cross talk between SPDIF inputs making my BLUE useless, sadly despite initial personal contact with Larry and usual support requests I'm getting nowhere (it needs fixing!). Ticket #23685 has been open for more than a month Larry! Ignoring and merging my reminder tickets won't fix the problem!

Perhaps all is not well in LH Labs towers?!

It appears the latest display firmware is MCU 2.4.  And I believe it is what came with my unit. Is the firmware included with with the "app.BIN" file linked on LHL's site (https://support.lhlabs.com/helpdesk/attachments/5046756424) or do I need a separate MCU firmware file as well?  In addition to having an unresponsive dial, did your display go black?

Sorry to hear about your crosstalk issues.  I haven't had a chance to use the SPDIF inputs on my unit nor do I have another source other than my PC to test it.  That sucks.

Like most, my confidence in the unit and in LHL has indeed taken a hit.  I'm worried to send it out for warranty work for fear the company folds an I wont get it back.  Mind you if the unit isn't working there is not much point in worrying.  I'm really rooting for Larry and everyone at LH Labs and hope the company overcomes its mistakes.  Like many others however, I feel the company became too big, too fast, and released far too many products.  I never bought into Gavin's rhetoric or Casey's bravado.  No boutique or startup company is financially secure enough to not succumb to the many ways in which LHL can hemorrhage money.  It will be difficult from here on out for the company as they deal with lost momentum and the brand's tarnished image.  Larry and his team have fallen squarely on the double edge sword of crowd funding.  This is a real shame as this is a very nice sounding DAC/AMP.

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #11,030 of 13,800
Never thought I'd see the day. 
My Pulse arrived! Along with a Lightspeed 2G cable.

Very impressed with it. The signal is incredibly clean. Sound is very nicely detailed. Day and night difference vs my EF2A, which would get very muddy/distorted at louder volumes. Listening on my Hifiman HE400.

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #11,031 of 13,800
Congratulations! Enjoy!

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #11,032 of 13,800
What no Easter Eggs??? Enjoy!!

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #11,033 of 13,800
  It appears the latest display firmware is MCU 2.4.  And I believe it is what came with my unit. Is the firmware included with with the "app.BIN" file linked on LHL's site (https://support.lhlabs.com/helpdesk/attachments/5046756424) or do I need a separate MCU firmware file as well?  In addition to having an unresponsive dial, did your display go black?

Sorry to hear about your crosstalk issues.  I haven't had a chance to use the SPDIF inputs on my unit nor do I have another source other than my PC to test it.  That sucks.

Like most, my confidence in the unit and in LHL has indeed taken a hit.  I'm worried to send it out for warranty work for fear the company folds an I wont get it back.  Mind you if the unit isn't working there is not much point in worrying.  I'm really rooting for Larry and everyone at LH Labs and hope the company overcomes its mistakes.  Like many others however, I feel the company became too big, too fast, and released far too many products.  I never bought into Gavin's rhetoric or Casey's bravado.  No boutique or startup company is financially secure enough to not succumb to the many ways in which LHL can hemorrhage money.  It will be difficult from here on out for the company as they deal with lost momentum and the brand's tarnished image.  Larry and his team have fallen squarely on the double edge sword of crowd funding.  This is a real shame as this is a very nice sounding DAC/AMP.

Hi, 

Please message me your ticket number, I will let tech team to help you solve the issues ASAP.  We will get it fixed. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #11,034 of 13,800
OMG i just got my shipment email from LH. Glad to finally get it, now i can use my Regen that's been sitting in the box for the past 6 months.
Looking forward to trying it with the LC. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #11,035 of 13,800
Thanks Larry!

I'll go through regular channels and put in a ticket with your support staff as I have had nothing but great service and feedback from your team.  There is no need to get involved at this point so keep your eye on the ball.  I just hope this is software related and I don't have to send the unit back to the US.  I live in Canada.

This has become my de facto forum for all things LH Labs Pulse as many respected Geek Force forum contributors are active members of the Head-Fi Community.  I wanted to share my experiences both positive and negative with the group.  I am not trying to bash LH and  I haven't given up on you folk either.  I am looking forward to LH's future products and hope that the company's image better reflects the passions and efforts of the LHL team and its core founder.     

Live, learn, and keep making beautiful music.

Cheers

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #11,036 of 13,800
  I woke up this morning (Good Friday morning in Australia) and found a shipment email from LHLabs for my Pulse Infinity X unit, 1G and 2G cables. I wonder how long DHL will take to deliver this unit. I hope very much that there would be no issues with the unit when I receive it.

Good to hear about that. I'm in Australia too but haven't received any word yet on my 2.0 Infinity or LPS. Also hoping there won't be any issues when it does arrive...  

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #11,037 of 13,800
It has cleared customs and is at the delivery depot since 6am this morning. Pity no delivery today.

Mar 28, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #11,039 of 13,800
Congratulations Guys!

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #11,040 of 13,800
The box is sitting on my office desk unopened. Can't wait to go home to test it with my ATH-R70X headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back