Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Mar 29, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #11,041 of 13,800
Pulse sounds pretty nice for the little time i got to test it today. Though for the life of me I can't figure out how to hook up my LC and have that work as well. Wondering if the XLR outputs aren't working as I've tried everything i could think of, nothing I do will let me listen from the LC. 

Was in a rush before work so I must be overlooking something, will try it out more when i got off. Still for what I got to hear Pulse sounds pretty good

Mar 29, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #11,042 of 13,800
From everything they say on the LC thread, if you can get single ended our to the LC, the splitter should work to give you a balanced out from the LC with minimal loss of quality. Use my Pono single ended line or for that.

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #11,043 of 13,800
Pulse sounds pretty nice for the little time i got to test it today. Though for the life of me I can't figure out how to hook up my LC and have that work as well. Wondering if the XLR outputs aren't working as I've tried everything i could think of, nothing I do will let me listen from the LC. 

Was in a rush before work so I must be overlooking something, will try it out more when i got off. Still for what I got to hear Pulse sounds pretty good

There is a little button on the bottom front right that switches between SE imput and balanced input.

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #11,044 of 13,800
From everything they say on the LC thread, if you can get single ended our to the LC, the splitter should work to give you a balanced out from the LC with minimal loss of quality. Use my Pono single ended line or for that.

I knew there was something I was overlooking! Thanks I'll try that as soon as I get home, though I'm sure that was the problem.

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #11,045 of 13,800
There is a little button on the bottom front right that switches between SE imput and balanced input.

Exactly right nudd. If the bottom right light is red it's in SE input mode (RCA or 3.5mm TRS), and if it's white it's in balanced input (XLR). Cheers

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #11,046 of 13,800
Exactly right nudd. If the bottom right light is red it's in SE input mode (RCA or 3.5mm TRS), and if it's white it's in balanced input (XLR). Cheers

I completely forgot about that button. Thanks to all that helped
That fixed it! Sounds very good, now to start the burn in.

How long is recommended for the Pulse?

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #11,048 of 13,800
  Shawnb - burn-in approx. 200 to 400 hours with little change after 200 hours. Enjoy!!

Thanks I was figuring around there.

I have to say looking at my LC sitting next to the Pulse, I can fit almost 10 LC's in that chassis. It's nice and all but I forget what reasons did they give to move it into such a massive chassis. Original design was great, this thing is just huge. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #11,049 of 13,800
It will start singing after 100

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #11,050 of 13,800
Agreed that it starts sounding good around 100 hours. My not so discerning ear was still hearing some refinement in the sound up near 400 hours, but beyond 400 I could not hear any more change. Really good DAC for $1000. Seems like good but not really special in its retail $2500 price class.

J.P.

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #11,053 of 13,800
Agreed that it starts sounding good around 100 hours. My not so discerning ear was still hearing some refinement in the sound up near 400 hours, but beyond 400 I could not hear any more change. Really good DAC for $1000. Seems like good but not really special in its retail $2500 price class.

J.P.

Surprisingly when I compared the DAC sections of the Infinity versus the Ayre Codex using speakers in a treated room (hifi store demo room), the imaging was much more holographic/3d on the Infinity. The folks in the Codex thread claim it competes with $5k dacs, better than their own QB-9, and end-game performance for some. I thought the Codex amp section was more musical and less congested than the Infinity on a HD800, but the dac sections running to speakers sounded much better on the Infinity.

My fiancee which knows nothing about hifi said the Codex didn't sound anything special, like just music coming from the speakers. The Infinity she said sounded more like the singer was in the room. To be fair, I've heard it takes also at least 200+ hours to burn in on the Codex, and I've no way of knowing how long the store demo Codex has been (though I would want to assume a hifi store would fully burn in before demoing it's performance). I was debating on whether it would be worth selling the Infinity for the Codex, but not anymore since I normally use my Infinity with speakers. The only comparison I'm still curious about is how it would compare to a Schiit Gungnir Multibit/Mjolner 2 stack.

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #11,055 of 13,800
  Not in the 

Not in the UK but international as well.  Still waiting on mine.  Sent a ticket for an updated ETA but no reply.

There is no point in asking for ETA. Over the past year I have received many estimations usually for one or two months. At least they should say they don't know so I can get something in the meantime instead of just getting my hopes up it will finally arrive. My biggest regret is upgrading to the infinity when they said it will ship in 2 months back in July.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back