Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 2, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #9,946 of 13,800
I just have a really tough time with the fact that burn in improves every problem you can think of with little evidence to support it. 

I don't expect the infinity to improve with any kind of burn in much but with better upstream components and downstream synergy. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #9,947 of 13,800
  I just have a really tough time with the fact that burn in improves every problem you can think of with little evidence to support it. 

I don't expect the infinity to improve with any kind of burn in much but with better upstream components and downstream synergy. 

As I indicated, believe what you will.  To my knowledge, there are no definitive tests to support or disprove the phenomenon so it's all subjective.  I respect your right to believe that it's placebo, and it may in fact be just that, but please respect my right to believe otherwise until it's definitively proven one way or the other.

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #9,948 of 13,800

IME the Infinity does need some time to settle down. I like the phrase "power aging" versus "burn-in". Cheers 

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #9,949 of 13,800
Love those worms, especially with a bit of salt and ketchup, yum, yum, yum!!!
I know this is a controversial subject of course, like high resolution files, amps sounding different, things that cause much heat here on Head Fi.
What makes burn in different than Shakti Stones, special plugs for unused outlets, other audiophile add ons is that IT DOESN'T COST ANYTHING TO DO IT!. Even if there is a slight chance it may make a slight difference, what's the big deal about letting something run for a few days? I'll do it just so I don't feel like I'm missing something, and because there's no big down side to doing it!!!
just my $0.02...

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #9,950 of 13,800
Anyone knows the part for the plugs???? Maybe I'd custom myself with beldens

Check it out from here: that's the molex connector:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0430250200/WM1783-ND/252496L

The other end is a 5.5 mm to 2.1 mm 12 v DC barel connector, search the net with the provided dimensions and you shall find. As far as wires, I would suggest a good 2 wire with a sleeved copper based ground wire like a Mogami or Belden cable. Buy yourself some parachute cords to finish the outside and have some black shrink tubing to garnish each end. You cost should most likely be about 10 box max for each cable and most likely less. Good price for something you'd pay three to four times more somewhere else (group buys for example) :wink:

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #9,951 of 13,800
snip3r77:

You need those Molex parts:

http://www.tme.eu/de/details/mx-43025-0200/signalsteckverbinder-raster-300mm/molex/0430250200/
and
http://www.tme.eu/de/details/mx-43030-0009/signalsteckverbinder-raster-300mm/molex/0430300009/

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #9,952 of 13,800
Speaking of burn-in, my vanilla Pulse is continuing to change and smooth out, and right now it's just a tad aggressive but wonderfully detailed, smooth, with a quiet background and lush tonality. The bass is also back to being tight as it was out of the box.
The difference between now to what I heard about 2 days after I received it is night and day to my ears. So for me burn in is a very real thing.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #9,953 of 13,800
  So after playing some music through my infinity for about 2 weeks now (I am sure I have racked up 150hours on it), I decided to do a quick comparison to my Audio-gd NFB-28 (late 2013). 

I have my Pulse Infinity hooked up with my LPS (supplying power only) but I am not using the 2G cable yet.

I am having a difficult time noticing any differences. At times, I do feel the Pulse Infinity extends slightly deeper, and the soundstage seems to be more open/3d like feeling expands. However, it feels so close. I wasn't expecting a big improvement over the audio-gd, but a noticeable nonetheless.

I currently don't own any balanced headphones, but for those that appreciate the sound coming out of the Pulse, do you feel the same way when using the SE headphone input?

I guess I feel underwhelmed after this long wait but perhaps I am doing something wrong.

2G cable + LPS + balanced headphones makes quite a difference. The NFB has an excellent Sabre chip in it though, so it won't be a huge difference.

If you found the NFB too bright, the Infinity tames it and adds some more detail.

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #9,954 of 13,800
Hi I received my Pulse (vanilla version) about 1 month ago and I opened a ticket with LHLabs because the device seems so buggy that it almost is a paperweight for me.  I am posting what I am experiencing here in case anyone else has had the same issues.  I did try to search this thread and LHLabs forum but it was hard to find any combination of what I found. Forgive me if it sounds confusing but here is what I put in the ticket:

I have tried Toslink to Ak120, SPDIF1 to DX50 and X5, USB to a Windows 7 laptop and line out to various portable amps.  I also have used an HD650, Alpha Prime, SE846 and other iems and headphones of varying sensitivity and ohms.   I have a the following:
 - vanilla Geek Pulse - looks like the first chassis based on photos
-  Firmware is Main 2.0, MCU 2.4
- on windows 7 LH control Panel  I see Geek Pulse 1V4
- I don't have LPS but I have the 1G USB cable

The output for each combination seems sporadic.  Sometimes I hear sound and sometimes I don't.  The issue seems worse whenever I switch gain, input or volume.  If I change input from toslink to USB or spdif one of the others doesn't work when I switch back.  Sometimes they work if I power off the device sometimes not.  The gain sometimes works but there isn't always a change.  The volume only seems to work if i make the change then switch the device off and on but then sometimes the sound is gone when I do that.  In other words, in order for any combination of volume/gain/input  to work consistently, i have to play with changing them turning on and off and when one combination works 'NEVER POWER OFF THE DEVICE OR MAKE ANY CHANGES' otherwise at least one of the three (gain/volume/input) doesn't have any effect.  I like the sound but it is sometimes either too loud or too low (which I cannot change or something will go wrong) or the input doesn't work at all.  The device at this point is so buggy that I feel like I have a paperweight instead of a good dac/amp. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #9,956 of 13,800
  Hi I received my Pulse (vanilla version) about 1 month ago and I opened a ticket with LHLabs because the device seems so buggy that it almost is a paperweight for me.  I am posting what I am experiencing here in case anyone else has had the same issues.  I did try to search this thread and LHLabs forum but it was hard to find any combination of what I found. Forgive me if it sounds confusing but here is what I put in the ticket:

I have tried Toslink to Ak120, SPDIF1 to DX50 and X5, USB to a Windows 7 laptop and line out to various portable amps.  I also have used an HD650, Alpha Prime, SE846 and other iems and headphones of varying sensitivity and ohms.   I have a the following:
 - vanilla Geek Pulse - looks like the first chassis based on photos
-  Firmware is Main 2.0, MCU 2.4
- on windows 7 LH control Panel  I see Geek Pulse 1V4
- I don't have LPS but I have the 1G USB cable

The output for each combination seems sporadic.  Sometimes I hear sound and sometimes I don't.  The issue seems worse whenever I switch gain, input or volume.  If I change input from toslink to USB or spdif one of the others doesn't work when I switch back.  Sometimes they work if I power off the device sometimes not.  The gain sometimes works but there isn't always a change.  The volume only seems to work if i make the change then switch the device off and on but then sometimes the sound is gone when I do that.  In other words, in order for any combination of volume/gain/input  to work consistently, i have to play with changing them turning on and off and when one combination works 'NEVER POWER OFF THE DEVICE OR MAKE ANY CHANGES' otherwise at least one of the three (gain/volume/input) doesn't have any effect.  I like the sound but it is sometimes either too loud or too low (which I cannot change or something will go wrong) or the input doesn't work at all.  The device at this point is so buggy that I feel like I have a paperweight instead of a good dac/amp. 

I know this probably won't make you feel much better at this point but there is hope.  I initially had issues with both my Vanilla and Xfi Pulses that rendered them unusable.  To their credit, LH was very responsive and I've since had units that work well.  Hopefully you'll have a similar experience.

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #9,957 of 13,800
There seems to be an issue with some Pulses where they either dont sync at all or have random sync issues I think you should open a ticket and get it returned for a replacement or repair.

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #9,958 of 13,800
Just to make it extra confusing you can also get an upgraded umbilical power cord between the LPS and the Pulse. There was a group buy a while ago of a nice custom cord - picked up one or two and have used them from the start. Well made cord and nice purple color. Cheers 

I am working on another cable vendor and will let others know if it happens.

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #9,959 of 13,800
Nov 2, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #9,960 of 13,800
I have actually ordered a few Molex connectors and a few 12 v DC barrel connectors with some 18 AWG power cable, I think I can build it for say less than 10 $ a cable so truly hard to beat. Most of the components come from DigiKey here in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back