Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 1, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #9,932 of 13,800
  The Infinity standard delivery is pretty weak.

The power cord is only on the LPS.

Just to make it extra confusing you can also get an upgraded umbilical power cord between the LPS and the Pulse. There was a group buy a while ago of a nice custom cord - picked up one or two and have used them from the start. Well made cord and nice purple color. Cheers 

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #9,933 of 13,800
Just to make it extra confusing you can also get an upgraded umbilical power cord between the LPS and the Pulse. There was a group buy a while ago of a nice custom cord - picked up one or two and have used them from the start. Well made cord and nice purple color. Cheers 

Actually with a little research and some wires and connectors you can easily make some that will beat the off the shelf variety for just few dollars and save yourself lots of money as long as you can solder and have steady hands and patience, everything's possible. I would push this a little further and build good AC cords with good wires and connectors again for very little. If you have a conditioner or better still an isolation transformer, you can build a good AC cord for the transformer and use custom low costs ones for the LPS, all that would make the entire system as clean as one can get for a low price.

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #9,934 of 13,800
So after playing some music through my infinity for about 2 weeks now (I am sure I have racked up 150hours on it), I decided to do a quick comparison to my Audio-gd NFB-28 (late 2013). 

I have my Pulse Infinity hooked up with my LPS (supplying power only) but I am not using the 2G cable yet.

I am having a difficult time noticing any differences. At times, I do feel the Pulse Infinity extends slightly deeper, and the soundstage seems to be more open/3d like feeling expands. However, it feels so close. I wasn't expecting a big improvement over the audio-gd, but a noticeable nonetheless.

I currently don't own any balanced headphones, but for those that appreciate the sound coming out of the Pulse, do you feel the same way when using the SE headphone input?

I guess I feel underwhelmed after this long wait but perhaps I am doing something wrong.

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #9,935 of 13,800
Audio-gd typically makes some pretty solid products, and usually are very competitive for the sound/performance ratio. I wouldn't be surprised if it sounded similar to the X Infinity, but I can't say for sure. Their dual-Wolfson DAC (I don't remember the model...their naming convention is confusing as heck) was still one of the best-sounding DACs I've heard.

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #9,936 of 13,800
So after playing some music through my infinity for about 2 weeks now (I am sure I have racked up 150hours on it), I decided to do a quick comparison to my Audio-gd NFB-28 (late 2013). 

I have my Pulse Infinity hooked up with my LPS (supplying power only) but I am not using the 2G cable yet.

I am having a difficult time noticing any differences. At times, I do feel the Pulse Infinity extends slightly deeper, and the soundstage seems to be more open/3d like feeling expands. However, it feels so close. I wasn't expecting a big improvement over the audio-gd, but a noticeable nonetheless.

I currently don't own any balanced headphones, but for those that appreciate the sound coming out of the Pulse, do you feel the same way when using the SE headphone input?

I guess I feel underwhelmed after this long wait but perhaps I am doing something wrong.

I liked the 28 when I had it but found it powerful yet not as musical as I wanted. I am getting a sense of the infinity being clean but not musical from the hp out. But I dont have my lps and also I listen to better quality music now with an even better headphone. At the time it was the he500 and ZMF vibro. Now ita the ZMF Omni that I prefer over both. So I probably should just be quiet. I think my personal taste would be for a meetier sound with blacker space and a little darker. I hope the lps does that but I suppose it wont be any darker.

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #9,938 of 13,800

The 2g cable is far superior to the 1g. Unfortunately it also needs burn in

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #9,939 of 13,800

Anyone knows the part for the plugs???? Maybe I'd custom myself with beldens

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #9,943 of 13,800
Cable needs burn in? What the...

Please explain that to me...I'm pretty gullible.

Not again.

Look I'm trying to be helpful based on my experience. It could be all in my head. Do it, don't do it, I don't care. Just trying to be helpful. The advice may be ignored. Thanks. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #9,944 of 13,800

Not again.

Look I'm trying to be helpful based on my experience. It could be all in my head. Do it, don't do it, I don't care. Just trying to be helpful. The advice may be ignored. Thanks. 

Even Larry mentions 2 weeks of burn-in for the 10G cable so it should follow suit with the other cables as well.  For what it's worth, the cable insulation, dielectric, acts as a capacitor which stores and releases energy from and back into the cable and, according to some, the interaction between the metal conductor and the insulation takes time to reach equilibrium.  I'm not looking to argue, just stating what others have indicated.  Believe what you will!

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #9,945 of 13,800
Not again.

I'd say thank you for helping, I know you did not mean bad but on this site the word burn-in is seen with a lot of sketisism so best is to avoid. :wink:

Even Larry mentions 2 weeks of burn-in for the 10G cable so it should follow suit with the other cables as well.  For what it's worth, the cable insulation, dielectric, acts as a capacitor which stores and releases energy from and back into the cable and, according to some, the interaction between the metal conductor and the insulation takes time to reach equilibrium.  I'm not looking to argue, just stating what others have indicated.  Believe what you will!

You guys are opening up a can of woop arse worms. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back