Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 1, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #9,916 of 13,800
It's definitively different, look at their website for the explanation of how it's built and you'll understand what it does. The chief engineer has a blog on their website that explains the principle. I also had a few email exchanges with him to get further details and when I got their design principles, it just made sense. The TOT is actually their entry level in their isolating power transformer line. The other models allow for lan based remote administration so you don't have to walk to the unit to do any settings. Those are for automated studios. The price is also very different, the largest component being the heavy toroidal transformer weighing 30 and above pounds.

My point is you need the two to make it as clean as it can be.

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #9,917 of 13,800
OK, don't quite get the electronic lingo, but get the concept. Now, I have a Regen, a Geek Out Special Edition, and a MicroZOTL2, all of which are said to benefit from adding an LPS. (have a Vi Tube DAC coming eventually, but they built the LPS in, had to trade in the LPS4/Pulse to go the the Vi). Is there any recommended LPS that could work for all these components, or would it require 3 different LPS units for each one?

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #9,918 of 13,800
OK, don't quite get the electronic lingo, but get the concept. Now, I have a Regen, a Geek Out Special Edition, and a MicroZOTL2, all of which are said to benefit from adding an LPS. (have a Vi Tube DAC coming eventually, but they built the LPS in, had to trade in the LPS4/Pulse to go the the Vi). Is there any recommended LPS that could work for all these components, or would it require 3 different LPS units for each one?

You don't need anything else with the Vi because of the internally designed LPS however the other units require one, the key is what voltage and amperage do they need plus do they need handshaking?

The LPS will be providing you with a 1.1A, 0.5A 12V outputs plus a 5V 2.0 Amp outputs if I am not mistaken, that's three power feeding inputs to your gear.

What's the requirements for all of your devices, meaning voltage, current and if it needs USB handshaking, without that it's impossible to tell you what you need.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #9,919 of 13,800
Hmmm, I know that people are using the Mojo LPS for the MicroZOTL, which is 12V. The Regen is supposed to use 5-7V if I remember correctly.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #9,921 of 13,800
The amperage is also important say you have a 5V 2A input, you can't use a 5 V 1A power supply you sure will flip the internal fuse or just plainly burn the PS.

I have seen people using the 5V supply from the LPS to power the Regen so you could do that with the LHL LPS and then use the 12 V output to power another 12V input device as long as it won't be more than 1.1 A, that should work. I poroposed another vendor up there with the ability to get couple of your own output voltages as ordered from the vendor. One unit can have it's voltage flipped from 5V up to 19V I believe, they use an internal switch to change the voltage but once you set it the other gets set to be set to one of the 4 possible voltage combinations. I think you can get 5V and 12V outputs, each with 6 A and 3 A respectively allowing you to power many devices. You get yourself an output splitter and can connect multiple devices in pararallel. Lots of combinations.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #9,922 of 13,800
...and if @doctorjazz wasn't confused before, he sure is now
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #9,923 of 13,800
Studying for the final, think I'm going to need a tutor :D

(I'm sure they're written well, but I haven't understood a thing @musicheaven has posted. Think I'll stick to jazz...)
(Jets up in 10 minutes, need a win!!!!!)

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #9,924 of 13,800
I use an SBooster Ultra - https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-ultra/switch-mode-upgrade-for-the-regen - with my Regen and it runs a heck of a lot cooler using it. Sonically it appears to impart a marginal but positive impact, tightening up bass notes and adding a smidgeon more dynamism to the music. Though this may just be my positive purchaser bias. Anyhow, there's a white paper below the SBooster product listing verifying the 'positive' impacts of this gizmo, so it's worth reading if you're technically inclined.

The Regen can take a higher voltage input, but only if your DAC doesn't require a power feed from the Regen. I think it's a potential overheating issue with the Regen. Check out their FAQ on the Uptone website.

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #9,925 of 13,800
Studying for the final, think I'm going to need a tutor :D

(I'm sure they're written well, but I haven't understood a thing @musicheaven has posted. Think I'll stick to jazz...)
(Jets up in 10 minutes, need a win!!!!!)

If you just can write down the voltage and current needed for each, I can help you pick, basically what I need is the max power (voltage by current) the devices are specified at. Sorry if that sounds technical, electronics always is. :wink:

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #9,927 of 13,800
This is the Geek Pulse thread, isn't it?

Sure is.  I wish I was more of a wordsmith to describe how the Pulse Infinity is really coming on its own.  For the most part I have been listening through Grado HP2 or GH1 and both have never sounded better.  I have been listening to all type of music from Blues, Vocals, Jazz, Rock and the combination has always envelop me into the music.  I can't remember when I have sat and listen to music as much as I have since the Pulse Infinity arrived.  

It has been a long 2 year wait from those 2 am orders followed by all the disappointments along the way but in the end, the Pulse Infinities is definitely a very addicting piece of gear.  I have to give it a two thumbs up.  

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #9,928 of 13,800

This is the Geek Pulse thread, isn't it?

Sure is.  I wish I was more of a wordsmith to describe how the Pulse Infinity is really coming on its own.  For the most part I have been listening through Grado HP2 or GH1 and both have never sounded better.  I have been listening to all type of music from Blues, Vocals, Jazz, Rock and the combination has always envelop me into the music.  I can't remember when I have sat and listen to music as much as I have since the Pulse Infinity arrived.  

It has been a long 2 year wait from those 2 am orders followed by all the disappointments along the way but in the end, the Pulse Infinities is definitely a very addicting piece of gear.  I have to give it a two thumbs up.  

I got an lhlabs lps incoming so I can't wait to join the fun. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #9,929 of 13,800

They are basically a must for the Pulse as the default power supply almost doesn't count.  I would suggest trying something other than the $3 power cord to it.  It doesn't have to be too exotic but I recently switched it out and didn't expect the change I experience.  YMMV.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #9,930 of 13,800

They are basically a must for the Pulse as the default power supply almost doesn't count.  I would suggest trying something other than the $3 power cord to it.  It doesn't have to be too exotic but I recently switched it out and didn't expect the change I experience.  YMMV.

You mean the lps cord? or the infinity cord?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back