Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 3, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #9,978 of 13,800
You could keep your earphones connected at low level, as long as there is a load, there's a burn-in or better still put it on your ears and wait until they get red.
biggrin.gif

Well that's nice - maybe i could also rub it until it glows ?  That could be classified as burn in as well I guess?
very_evil_smiley.gif

But honestly - I was asking about burn in of the DAC?

Should it be feeded with Music all the time or would it be sufficient to just leave it on for 200 hours. I don't have my infinity yet - but as even some top shots declared that burn in for it makes a real difference I want to be sure that it burns in properly.

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #9,979 of 13,800
  Well that's nice - maybe i could also rub it until it glows ?  That could be classified as burn in as well I guess?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Should it be feeded with Music all the time or would it be sufficient to just leave it on for 200 hours. I don't have my infinity yet - but as even some top shots declared that burn in for it makes a real difference I want to be sure that it burns in properly.

Burn in with music. I just plug in a cheapo set of headphones and turn the volume way down and leave an album playing with a wide dynamic range on repeat. Everyone has their own way of doing this. Some use white or pink noise, some people have published "burn-in" tracks. Just getting electrons flowing through is the key IMO. Cheers

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #9,980 of 13,800
From what I've read, there is a particular burn in with the Femto clocks, and they like to be on all the time, need to warm up each time they are shut. Seems to be part of the design issue with the Wave, managing to keep it on all the time, not drain the portable's battery at the same time.

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #9,981 of 13,800
Well that's nice - maybe i could also rub it until it glows ?  That could be classified as burn in as well I guess? :veryevil:

I'd follow mscott58 advise. Under load meaning music on will heat up the board further in order to bring the internal temperature in equilibrium.

Burn in with music. I just plug in a cheapo set of headphones and turn the volume way down and leave an album playing with a wide dynamic range on repeat. Everyone has their own way of doing this. Some use white or pink noise, some people have published "burn-in" tracks. Just getting electrons flowing through is the key IMO. Cheers

Great advise!

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #9,982 of 13,800
Again, I don't get what the big deal is about break in, it's not like it costs anything to break in the gear, just leave music playing (get funny looks from my wife when I do it, but she's used to my mishuggas by now...). It's not a $1K interconnect, just takes a bit of time.

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #9,983 of 13,800
Again, I don't get what the big deal is about break in, it's not like it costs anything to break in the gear, just leave music playing (get funny looks from my wife when I do it, but she's used to my mishuggas by now...). It's not a $1K interconnect, just takes a bit of time.

Well said. And I use crappy cheap headphones just in case something goes wrong during the process (e.g. like a volume surge) so there's very little risk to letting things run for a while. Cheers 

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #9,984 of 13,800
Also remember brain break in and placebo effects are a huge part of break-in process. - bottom line do whatever you need to make the equioment sound better- if after that you dont like the product then move on.

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #9,985 of 13,800
Also remember brain break in and placebo effects are a huge part of break-in process. - bottom line do whatever you need to make the equioment sound better- if after that you dont like the product then move on.

I agree.
A lot of people tend to forget that the placebo effect is still, in effect, generally a positive effect.
Its all about improving our enjoyment of music.

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #9,986 of 13,800
At the end...ITS YOUR EARS,

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #9,989 of 13,800
Nov 3, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #9,990 of 13,800
For 2, one still in the box, figured it'd make a good doorstop, nice to have another use for them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back