Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 13, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #9,616 of 13,800
  I hope good things come to those that wait
539a8b6bd2effa70c0b17c79778eb8f6.jpg

Although not even close to being as luxurious, I had a 98' Camry that had over 300K miles and was still going strong when I sold it 2 years ago.  Not too shabby for 13 hours worth of work.

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #9,621 of 13,800
Well the native DSD do bring us DSD256 because DoP will exceed the USB 2.0 bandwidth. 

Does it?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/764639/lh-labs-announces-puredsd-mode#post_11560211
44,100 Hz * 256 * 2 channels = 22,579,200 bits/sec = 22,579.2 kbit/sec = 22.5 Mbit/s << 280 Mbit/s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_2.0

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #9,623 of 13,800
Hi guys, I am back, this time with an SFi :D

I have a couple of questions.

1- Do I need to upgrade or is it the latest one? I got worried cause I read I might brick my unit with a wrong upgrade :xf_eek:

2- What should be the settings here?

3- What filter should I use? I am using the FTM atm.

4- My SFi is connected to my tube amplifier via RCA, should I keep volume to -0.0db in this case?

5- I am not using a power supply, I don't hear any hiss or noise at all when I listen to the SFi's amplifier, do I need an LPS?

6- Can I use a remote with an Android?

Thank you for your guidance and suggestions.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #9,624 of 13,800
With all the horror stories about product failure because rush shipping like this scare me away, I'm living outside US so it will be a massive pain if I get a faulty one. Getting a good and working Geek Pulse is like playing lottery now.

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #9,625 of 13,800

Although not even close to being as luxurious, I had a 98' Camry that had over 300K miles and was still going strong when I sold it 2 years ago.  Not too shabby for 13 hours worth of work.

LOL yeah.  So basically the quicker they build it, the easier it is to maintain and the longer they will last?  Unfortunately that's not holding true for LHL products.  
  Hi guys, I am back, this time with an SFi :D

I have a couple of questions.

Thank you for your guidance and suggestions.

2- What should be the settings here?
You can play around, but you should only change if you're experiencing dropouts.  
4- My SFi is connected to my tube amplifier via RCA, should I keep volume to -0.0db in this case?
Normally with line out that's how it works, to avoid the degradation of the signal by the digital volume.  But that's when you have a preamp.  Since you didn't mention that, I'm assuming your tube amp has a volume control.  But then the SFi has a remote right?  Depends on what you prefer.  
5- I am not using a power supply, I don't hear any hiss or noise at all when I listen to the SFi's amplifier, do I need an LPS?
I don't know.  Do you want the marketing speak answer or a truthful one?  But you never know.  Maybe you will hear a better sound.  But I say just enjoy your setup for now and upgrade later.
6- Can I use a remote with an Android?
Not that I know of.  It's not like my Oppo HA-1 which has iOS and Android apps to control it.  It's a nice to have, but I still use the remote since it's quicker usually.  

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #9,626 of 13,800
  LOL yeah.  So basically the quicker they build it, the easier it is to maintain and the longer they will last?  Unfortunately that's not holding true for LHL products.  

Can't say that I completely agree with you but I understand where your coming from.  Is it a PIA to have to wait so long? Yes, but I knew that going into it.  Their communication leaves much to be desired.  They're a young company and learning how to do business so there definitely are growing pains.  They are heavy into "marketing" and take that for what it's worth as you should be able to discern what's real and what's not. Overall, their products are well engineered but the rest of the "experience" leaves something to be desired.  They have shown progress!!

Overall, I'm fully enjoying what I've purchased from them and looking forward to what's to come.  I've purchased 6 LHL products so far and have had no major problems whatsoever with any of them and for the price paid, I'm getting a boat load of bang for my buck.

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #9,627 of 13,800

Can't say that I completely agree with you but I understand where your coming from.  Is it a PIA to have to wait so long? Yes, but I knew that going into it.  Their communication leaves much to be desired.  They're a young company and learning how to do business so there definitely are growing pains.  They are heavy into "marketing" and take that for what it's worth as you should be able to discern what's real and what's not. Overall, their products are well engineered but the rest of the "experience" leaves something to be desired.  They have shown progress!!

Overall, I'm fully enjoying what I've purchased from them and looking forward to what's to come.  I've purchased 6 LHL products so far and have had no major problems whatsoever with any of them and for the price paid, I'm getting a boat load of bang for my buck.

From what I've seen (still waiting for my Vi Tube DAC) the products were not that well engineered.  There were many stability issues, basic usage problems, problems with inputs non-USB, etc.  Not to mention their ill performing IEMs.  That was the problem that I was most concerned and at the same time happy that I went with the Vi since I'm assuming the issues would be ironed out by the time that rolls out.  They definitely have shown progress.  I was mainly referring to what people are experiencing to them rushing out stuff.  Good that you have had no problems with your LHL products!  I think they are one of the great examples of the crowd funding actually working.  They have had their bumps etc but the stuff they put out still sound great.  

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #9,629 of 13,800
  Sigh... My vanilla Pulse was playing fine for a while and burning in nicely. Now, series of popping noises. Working with technical support: firmware downgrade... firmware upgrade... still pop-pop-pop.

A Customer Service reply in the LH Labs forum reads: "We have had a surge in technical questions due to our mass shipment of Pulse units recently." I bet.

Just. So. Disappointing.

LH Labs tech support has pretty responsive. The sent another new rev of firmware today and I took the time to update the LH driver, foobar2000, and all components. Have no idea what the culprit was, but the updates seem to have done the trick! Haven't tried beating it up yet (restarting, swapping cords, DSD, etc.) -- for now just want to enjoy listening.

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #9,630 of 13,800
Week 3 and 4 days into the burn-in of my Xfi.

Bass seemed to start coming back around 2.5 weeks, then receeded again, strangely volume seem to be decreasing slowly without touching the knob, had to compensate.

Currently listening to Journey's "Separate Ways" at -15.0dB with HD650 on High Gain (Single Ended), this is normal volume right now and my hearing is absolutely fine.

Pretty sure this is not exactly normal volume setting.

*Sign*... can't I just get a nice sounding amp/dac unit?

Now what? Burn in yet another week?

Seriously?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back