Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 12, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #9,586 of 13,800
Hey guys. 
I have my NIB pulse SE and LPS for sale. Asking 550 shipped, but I'm not sure what these would go for as a set new. Is that too high?

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #9,587 of 13,800
  vi dac definitely has feet of some kind, look how elevated above the surface of the table it is.  Anyone else trying to plan where they're going to put the vi dac?  I still intend to put it on my desk not an av rack :p  "The chassis is planned to be around 17in long and 12in deep. About 1.5" at its shortest height."

I just looked closer at their instagram pictures of the Vi DAC.

Yup, you will be getting these same rubber dome feet.

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #9,589 of 13,800
Pulse S(ignature) E(dition) and LPS for $550 shipped.

Wow, great price considering what the perks were.

I think you just meant Pulse + LPS for $550 shipped?

If it is $550 for Signature Edition and LPS then I'll take it!!! Seriously!

Guessing however you mean vanilla single-ended Pulse.

Cheers

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #9,590 of 13,800
Anybody here using a Pulse+LPS with an android tablet as a source? I want to buy one as an alternative to my Mac mini/Audirvana+. It worked with my cellphone as a source, but only when I plugged it directly to the Pulse, not with the LPS. Has anybody found a way to overcome this obstacle?

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #9,591 of 13,800
eac hmm you're right, they do show the rubber dome feet on their instagram.  I thought I read it would have screw in type feet.  Oh well it's just feet.

Oct 12, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #9,592 of 13,800

Pulse S(ignature) E(dition) and LPS for $550 shipped.

Wow, great price considering what the perks were.

I think you just meant Pulse + LPS for $550 shipped?

Oh no sorry. To clarify "SE" single ended. It's just a standard vanilla pulse.

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #9,593 of 13,800
My Vi Tube DAC will likely be the top of a rack...don't have the desk space to accommodate it on any desktop in my house! Looks to be a big mother!

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #9,594 of 13,800
Sigh... My vanilla Pulse was playing fine for a while and burning in nicely. Now, series of popping noises. Working with technical support: firmware downgrade... firmware upgrade... still pop-pop-pop.

A Customer Service reply in the LH Labs forum reads: "We have had a surge in technical questions due to our mass shipment of Pulse units recently." I bet.

Just. So. Disappointing.

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #9,595 of 13,800
There's something digital going on (duh...). I mean, I have the Geek Out Special Edition, no popping problem. I also have the CEntrance M8, and it does exactly what you describe. If you've ever played old, scratchy vinyl records, you'll know the sound. Sent it back to CEntrance twice, nothing wrong. I'm guessing (in my total ignorance) it has to do with some setting, maybe some sampling rate discrepancy or something (the CEntrance is unusable from my PC, works fine from an iPad). Never figured out exactly how to fix it (or how to get sound it off my PC through anything other than JRIVER, for that matter). Boy, and people think vinyl is a pain! Any other ideas out there?

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #9,596 of 13,800
There's something digital going on (duh...). I mean, I have the Geek Out Special Edition, no popping problem. I also have the CEntrance M8, and it does exactly what you describe. If you've ever played old, scratchy vinyl records, you'll know the sound. Sent it back to CEntrance twice, nothing wrong. I'm guessing (in my total ignorance) it has to do with some setting, maybe some sampling rate discrepancy or something (the CEntrance is unusable from my PC, works fine from an iPad). Never figured out exactly how to fix it (or how to get sound it off my PC through anything other than JRIVER, for that matter). Boy, and people think vinyl is a pain! Any other ideas out there?

I had that issue with a USB cable and WIN 7.0.  I switched the cable out and the replacement cable hasn't shown any issues.  I put the other cable on a WIN 8.1 laptop and it worked fine for a while but then it stopped being able to connect to the laptop.  I am not sure the cable died or what.  Waiting on a replacement cable right now.

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #9,597 of 13,800

I have had pops and clicks using different DACs on my Win 7 laptop that is connected to a share  over WIFI. I found that using WASAPI instead of ASIO (Foobar2000) minimizes if not eliminates it. With the same dac connected to the machine holding the files locally, there are no problems. This is a 3 to 4 year old Lenovo laptop with and i7, SSD and 16 gig of RAM. I have speculated that internal latency (over 500 ms) or the WIFI (though  I can stream HD video and uncompressed 5.1 audio  DTS or Dolby, on the same link with no problems,) may be the cause. The USB cable, as  have tried several decent cables including the 1G, has not made any difference. A newer laptop (X240 latency around 220 ms and a faster AC radio) does not have the problem.
Thing is, I don't think it is the DAC, because I have seen this with multiple DACs.  I have a portable 2 TB HDD with most of my music on it. One day I will plug it in to the laptop just to eliminate the WIFI as a factor.

BTW, I don't notice the issue on any machine when playing standard blue book files. I do hear it with high bit rate 96-192/24bit files or DSD. This is why I was looking at connection speed and internal latency as the potential causes.

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #9,598 of 13,800
  Oh no sorry. To clarify "SE" single ended. It's just a standard vanilla pulse.

I think its a pretty darn good price. However, it would make me rest easier as a buyer if you've tested it to make sure it is working properly. Not that I'm a prospective buyer, just thinking that there have been some units that don't work, and that makes a buyer uneasy. Just my 2 cents.

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #9,600 of 13,800
My Infinity + LPS + 2G + 1G is silly good. Once I figured out how to use the 2G cable properly with the LPS, I could immediately hear the difference with and without the LPS. Blackest background I've ever heard (or not heard). 

Add an Uptone Regen in front of it and IME it will get incrementally even better! Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back