Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Feb 4, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #5,011 of 13,800
For those of you that are interested in Vi DAC, formerly known as Geek Soul, here's the link to check out the latest configurations and offerings........

http://bit.ly/lhlabsvidac

Wow a lot of perks picked up already. Casey, is the Vi DAC still going to have the headphone amplifier in it? The table in the IGG details page seems to indicate this, but with the re-naming I wasn't too sure if this was correct or not.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #5,012 of 13,800
A manufacturer can put all the disclaimers they like against potential damage caused by their product. Doesn't mean it'll stand up if tested in court.

Schiit had similar popping issues with their amps. After a bout of negative publicity (including that YouTube video of the AKG being tortured), they took the sensible (imho) decision to add a relay into their amps to prevent the cap charge/discharge popping.

LH have stated they took the decision not to add a relay for sound quality reasons. Of course, we can debate how much impact a good relay would have on sq compared to the risk posed by the capacitor spikes...

And the lack of ability to mute the line outs when headphones are plugged in.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #5,013 of 13,800

I think that's typical apologist bull.

There have been many, many crowd funding campaigns, most of them ran by only a few people or even less, and most of them were able to communicate with the backers clearly and in a timely fashion.

LH Labs is either incompetent at customer communications, or they bit off more than they could chew but did it anyways due to the money, simple as that.

Cool. There are indeed many crowdfunding campaigns that have gone off without a hitch in communications. And there are ones I've backed which are still crap more than 2 years later. I don't know how many crowdfunding campaigns you've backed (I'm almost in triple digits myself) but I've seen plenty of both.

I'm not apologizing for the LH Labs team. There are many things I want to see improved as well and I hold them accountable. I'm just sharing my perspective as someone who works in communications. If you think that you could do better than the LH Labs team I recommend reaching out to them and submitting your resume. They could use a hand in that department.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #5,014 of 13,800
The way I am seeing this is that, the update page is the easily the best way to communicate.

1, Because of the Geek Force special price thing, almost all of the backers are aware of LHL forum.
2, There is a bloody big UPDATES on the homepage. That is the first thing I want to click if I am all new to this.
3, It is one page, instead of million posts spread across HF, LHL... Seriously I now don't really bother to read LHL forum. I don't expect to see things I want to see the most: where is the Pulse.

Too bad they stopped update that page, just like the estimate shipping status for Pulse X, etc... They've made their effort meaningless/useless and the backers more frustrated.
Just don't set the expectation if you don't intend to meet, or to explain if you somehow can't.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #5,015 of 13,800

From my outsider's perspective it seems that LH Labs would benefit by having a dedicated group whose sole purpose is to handle external communications instead of having a VP and the founder doing it. Casey is a marketing manager and for my employer a marketing executive will never send out emails to the customer base. However I work for a company with over 50,000 employees and LH Labs has fewer than 50; they're two completely different worlds. I don't claim to know anything about the inner workings of LH Labs and I don't know the needs of their business for sustainable growth. But I do know that it will take a considerable effort to get communications reaching a point where most backers are happy. It's impossible to please everyone and striving to do so is an effort in futility. I would love to see the information coming out of LH Labs more consistently and covering multiple outlets. Hopefully they already have a plan of action to improve the updates going forward.

Hi,

From my outsider's perspective if LHL could update backers with actual information in a timely manner, a lot of communications are not needed.

Of course, problems regarding the product quality is not counted.

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #5,017 of 13,800
Also some important pieces of information and updates scattered within IGG comments, one of the geek force discussion, head-fi, that's never able to official releases in one, clear communication pathway.

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #5,018 of 13,800
  Also some important pieces of information and updates scattered within IGG comments, one of the geek force discussion, head-fi, that's never able to official releases in one, clear communication pathway.

I agree. There are a lot of small things that have been missed here and there. That's one of the areas that they need to improve.

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #5,019 of 13,800

Cool. There are indeed many crowdfunding campaigns that have gone off without a hitch in communications. And there are ones I've backed which are still crap more than 2 years later. I don't know how many crowdfunding campaigns you've backed (I'm almost in triple digits myself) but I've seen plenty of both.

I'm not apologizing for the LH Labs team. There are many things I want to see improved as well and I hold them accountable. I'm just sharing my perspective as someone who works in communications. If you think that you could do better than the LH Labs team I recommend reaching out to them and submitting your resume. They could use a hand in that department.

Please don't deflect the actual topic of discussion.

You have suggested that keeping many backers properly informed is some sort of Herculean task requiring complicated systems and massive manpower to accomplish.

I simply pointed to the overwhelming evidence that no, that is absolutely, without a doubt not the case.

Despite your statement to the contrary, you definitely are apologizing for LH labs and doing some kind of volunteer damage control.

If I could do better? Do you know that's one of the oldest comebacks from companies with bad product and/or customer service?

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #5,020 of 13,800

Please don't deflect the actual topic of discussion.

You have suggested that keeping many backers properly informed is some sort of Herculean task requiring complicated systems and massive manpower to accomplish.

I simply pointed to the overwhelming evidence that no, that is absolutely, without a doubt not the case.

Despite your statement to the contrary, you definitely are apologizing for LH labs and doing some kind of volunteer damage control.

If I could do better? Do you know that's one of the oldest comebacks from companies with bad product and/or customer service?

Knowing AxelCloris/Brian personally he's not voluntarily doing damage control to help LHL. That's not his MO. 

How about we all agree on this. LHL needs to do a better job in communication. Period - full stop. 

Cheers and happy listening 

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #5,023 of 13,800

So, while we are in the LPS topic... :)

I received the cheap LPS from ebay.  Alas, the Pulse does not work with it.  It turns on, but it is not recognized by the computer.  

I checked and it indeed produces 12V DC.  So, I can only assume it does not have enough current.  Either it does not put our 1.25A as advertised, or the Pulse actually need more than 1.2A. 

did you disconnect and reconnect the USB data cable with the computer running and the Pulse powered on...
There was discussion and complaints about this having to be done...

Yeap.  I tried lots of stuff. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back