Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Feb 4, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #5,027 of 13,800

Yes, it works fine.  But, FWIW, the original power supply is rated at 2A.

I would try to measure the voltage under load. Some supplies can sag considerably under load. If you are measuring it with no load at 12 volts...
You could measure current.. if you have a meter that will measure up to at least two amps. It would mean cutting one of the wires and putting your shunt... or meter in series.
Bottom line, you supply doesn't cut it for the Pulse.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #5,029 of 13,800

Yes, it works fine.  But, FWIW, the original power supply is rated at 2A.

I would try to measure the voltage under load. Some supplies can sag considerably under load. If you are measuring it with no load at 12 volts...
You could measure current.. if you have a meter that will measure up to at least two amps. It would mean cutting one of the wires and putting your shunt... or meter in series.
Bottom line, you supply doesn't cut it for the Pulse.

Yes, that appears to be the case. :)

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #5,031 of 13,800
Feb 5, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #5,032 of 13,800
Any ideas how the amp on the Geek Pulse xfi + LPS would play with the Alpha Prime? Also how would that stack up to the ifi micro idsd? Comparisons of both the DAC and the amp are welcome. Also what about the centrance hifi-m8?

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #5,033 of 13,800
  Any ideas how the amp on the Geek Pulse xfi + LPS would play with the Alpha Prime? Also how would that stack up to the ifi micro idsd? Comparisons of both the DAC and the amp are welcome. Also what about the centrance hifi-m8?

The only part of this I have experience with is the Alpha Prime with the Geek Pulse Xfi and the LPS when I was RMAF in October.

They were one of the sets of headphones available for testing and they sounded amazing. I am considering buying a pair when my headphone budget is padded again.

They had great soundstage, and I didn't find any frequencies overpowering the others (it's been too long to really get granular on how everything sounded in relation to everything else).

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #5,034 of 13,800
Did anyone outside USA, but not Asia, got their HiFiMAN can? I haven't had any notification that it's been shipped, a tracking number, or anything like that... I am considering opening a ticket by this time. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #5,035 of 13,800
Yes indeed, open up your wallets Soul backers as the Vi DAC has arrived and it's time to go perk crazy!  How I've missed these incessant perks upgrades, so come on LH Labs milk my wallet dry, as you know you want to. 
L3000.gif

Quote:
That is the Geek Soul, newly renamed!

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #5,036 of 13,800

Care to tell us exactly what LPS that is? Others may want to avoid it...
Or are you going to work with the seller on a replacement?

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #5,037 of 13,800
Did anyone outside USA, but not Asia, got their HiFiMAN can? I haven't had any notification that it's been shipped, a tracking number, or anything like that... I am considering opening a ticket by this time. 

I got mine last Thursday 1/29/2015. I did get a notification that a label had been printed (shipping notification). A day later they were scanned into the USPS system. Three days later I got them.

The question was asked on the LHL forums. Manny... in his typical way of answering questions so briefly that his answers just generate more questions.... said that they intended to finish shipping on all of the 400is this week. The rest of the phones are in transit. ..
I know he must have had more information on the projected arrival and their plans to get them out... but he said nothing about any of that.

Of course we were told a couple of weeks ago that the Hifiman shipment had arrived... They neglected to mentioned that it was only a partial shipment.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #5,038 of 13,800

Care to tell us exactly what LPS that is? Others may want to avoid it...
Or are you going to work with the seller on a replacement?

It is a DC-1 LPS, available from ebay by many sellers.  For example, http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XHifi+linear+power+DC-1&_nkw=Hifi+linear+power+DC-1&_sacat=0

To be fair, the never advertised it would work with the Pulse.  I assumed so based on the specs.  I need to measure current to make the claim my unit indeed falls short of spec.  I am thinking a way to do it without destroying the cable.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #5,039 of 13,800
Walfredo, stop by my desk and borrow the Jay's LPS next week (I'm not there this week).

You can see if its just the LPS you have or what.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #5,040 of 13,800
It is a DC-1 LPS, available from ebay by many sellers.  For example, http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XHifi+linear+power+DC-1&_nkw=Hifi+linear+power+DC-1&_sacat=0

To be fair, the never advertised it would work with the Pulse.  I assumed so based on the specs.  I need to measure current to make the claim my unit indeed falls short of spec.  I am thinking a way to do it without destroying the cable.

If you can open it up and disconnect one leg of the cable internally you could get your meter in series with the load.
You could measure the voltage under load without disconnecting anything.
How hard is it to open it.
Does it have a seal ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back