Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 18, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #2,791 of 13,800
Thank you all for the reply, I backed a geek pulse xfi already and thinking about getting another for my home audio system, and I'm not that much interested in dsd, in my ears the difference between flac and dsd is not that big to change the game. The release date for Yggdrasil and Geek Soul is pretty close so I guess I will wait for Yggdrasil. Larry even said Geek Pulse xfi + lps and Soul is actually the same thing...

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #2,792 of 13,800
I ordered my Pulse also as Super Early Bird.. on Oct 29 last year....

I don't even know where am I in line nor received any notifications.... Opened a ticket some time now and have not received any updates....I was hoping to get my LPS early

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #2,797 of 13,800

Don't assume there are 4 wires in each leg.  The leg going to the PC should have only 2 wires, one for Data + and one for Data -, effectively removing the influence of dirty power from the PC.  The leg going to the power source, LPS, should only have +5V and GND.  If you're using the Pulse then after the USB handshake initialization takes place then you should be able to unplug the power leg.  The reason for the split is to effectively isolate any RF or EMI on the power leg from affecting the Data leg.  Understand that the Pulse does not use the USB power leg to power it's USB XMOS chip.  That power comes from the LPS via the 12V (umbilical) input.  Hopefully, that makes sense.

Thanks germay,

I believe I am understanding now..maybe not. I thought you would achieve the same clean power regardless of the split USB or not. But as you pointed out, if utilizing two USB cables...between the PC and LPS, and the other between the LPS and Pulse, in both of those cables, they have both power and data...so even though the LPS may "clean up" the power provided in the cable....the data will still be subject to things like RF or EMI.

So what if what is providing the data (the PC has been affected by RF or EMI before leaving the PC....would it matter which Lightspeed cable you get?

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #2,798 of 13,800

Thanks germay,

I believe I am understanding now..maybe not. I thought you would achieve the same clean power regardless of the split USB or not. But as you pointed out, if utilizing two USB cables...between the PC and LPS, and the other between the LPS and Pulse, in both of those cables, they have both power and data...so even though the LPS may "clean up" the power provided in the cable....the data will still be subject to things like RF or EMI.

So what if what is providing the data (the PC has been affected by RF or EMI before leaving the PC....would it matter which Lightspeed cable you get?

To answer your last question, IMO , yes and it's a matter of degrees of improvement.  The PC, internally, is notorious for emitting all kinds of RF and EMI.  I've read on some forums where individuals go to extraordinary levels and apply shielding to internal portions like the CPU and memory, including internal power and SATA cables, of their PC's to reduce those emissions.  You have to be EXTREMELY careful when doing this as you can damage internal components if not done properly.

One thing I have not compared is the split LightSpeed 10G (White) to the semi-split LightSpeed 10G (Red) cable so I can't comment on which one "sounds" better.  Every little bit helps but only you can decide on whether the cost benefit is worth it to you.  Theoretically, the split version should reduce that interference a bit more than it's non-split counterpart.

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #2,799 of 13,800
You all have been waiting for over a year?

Feel sorry for those who put down more than $1.00...

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #2,800 of 13,800
  You all have been waiting for over a year?

Feel sorry for those who put down more than $1.00...

its not too bad, the payoff could be huge

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #2,801 of 13,800
What's the jury on the upgrades the Pulse Xfi brings over the Pulse X? All I could gather is that internal (passive and active) components have been upgraded and you get the Femto clocks instead of the TCXO. The pdf of the key features of the models only notes that the transconductance amp has been upgraded and we get the Femto clocks. Is there any other info on the difference between these models? My friend, who is better informed than me, is skeptical that the Femto clocks will make an audible difference alone, so that leaves the other upgrades to make the difference sound quality wise. Are the changes worth the current $622 upgrade from Pulse X to Pulse Xfi? I am sure they are worth considering the retail price difference between the models, but how about the campaign price of the models: the X - $777 and the Xfi - $1399? What are your opinions, can someone chime in? 

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #2,802 of 13,800
The Xfi will be dual mono for each channel through the entire signal path.  The X only has separate Op-Amps at the end of the signal path for balanced output.

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #2,803 of 13,800
  What's the jury on the upgrades the Pulse Xfi brings over the Pulse X? All I could gather is that internal (passive and active) components have been upgraded and you get the Femto clocks instead of the TCXO. The pdf of the key features of the models only notes that the transconductance amp has been upgraded and we get the Femto clocks. Is there any other info on the difference between these models? My friend, who is better informed than me, is skeptical that the Femto clocks will make an audible difference alone, so that leaves the other upgrades to make the difference sound quality wise. Are the changes worth the current $622 upgrade from Pulse X to Pulse Xfi? I am sure they are worth considering the retail price difference between the models, but how about the campaign price of the models: the X - $777 and the Xfi - $1399? What are your opinions, can someone chime in? 

IMO, until the pulses are out in the wild, with many different people relating their findings, any opinions as to whether the upgrades are "worth it" is pretty much conjecture
having said that, i have the pulse x/f/i coming, so i hope so ! lol

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #2,804 of 13,800
  The Xfi will be dual mono for each channel through the entire signal path.  The X only has separate Op-Amps at the end of the signal path for balanced output.

Not true, the X will be fully mono. The fi adds femto clock and upgraded components plus more digital inputs.

http://lhlabs.com/geekpulse3/images/Geek_Pulse_Soul_Technology_Breakdown.pdf

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #2,805 of 13,800

I thought all types of the pulse were dual mono...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back