Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 31, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #2,296 of 13,800

The Geek Pulse is in the wild!  The Pulse X-fi with the Linear Power supply. review will be up on Headphone.guru next week.

Could you also please post impressions of GO with LPS? And provide how much improvement, if any.  Much appreciated!

I have to use the LPS as they did not send the wall wart. So the review will be from that perspective. 

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #2,297 of 13,800
Several good questions coming from everyone. I have passed them along to the Geek team for clarification.

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #2,298 of 13,800

The Geek Pulse is in the wild!  The Pulse X-fi with the Linear Power supply. review will be up on Headphone.guru next week.

is this the version after RMAF, when Larry applied some modification to add more weight in the bottom end?

My understanding is that this unit (The X fi) is stock with no mods.

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #2,299 of 13,800
Can we let go the chap, so that he can finish the review? ^_^

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #2,300 of 13,800
Can we let go the chap, so that he can finish the review? ^_^

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

beerchug.gif

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #2,301 of 13,800
  I have to use the LPS as they did not send the wall wart. So the review will be from that perspective.

Hello, you may have misunderstood my question.  I meant can you power the Geek Out using the 5V USB output of the LPS and compare to sound quality versus straight from the USB port or slacker.  Many will be interested as the LPS is shipping now but Pulse may not be delivered until 1 or 2 months from now so I assume those backers with Geek Out will be able to put LPS to use.  Thanks again.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #2,302 of 13,800

Hello, you may have misunderstood my question.  I meant can you power the Geek Out using the 5V USB output of the LPS and compare to sound quality versus straight from the USB port or slacker.  Many will be interested as the LPS is shipping now but Pulse may not be delivered until 1 or 2 months from now so I assume those backers with Geek Out will be able to put LPS to use.  Thanks again.

(Note to self...Never answer questions immediately after getting out of bed.....
tongue.gif
 )

Yes it does power the GO.

I am currently listening to Lyn Stanley's Lost in Romance. DSD64 files (Note the blue light on the GO). The MacBook Pro is controlling the volume. Everything is working well. As to sound quality, I need some time to review that. I have a bunch of travel today so I won't have much new to comment on for a couple of days. 

The good news is that the LPS can work just fine with the GO and the Geek Pulse! Nice to know it is a versatile device.

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #2,303 of 13,800
  (Note to self...Never answer questions immediately after getting out of bed.....
tongue.gif
 )

Yes it does power the GO.

I am currently listening to Lyn Stanley's Lost in Romance. DSD64 files (Note the blue light on the GO). The MacBook Pro is controlling the volume. Everything is working well. As to sound quality, I need some time to review that. I have a bunch of travel today so I won't have much new to comment on for a couple of days.

The good news is that the LPS can work just fine with the GO and the Geek Pulse! Nice to know it is a versatile device.

Awesome!  Thank you.  My fault for posting from GMT+1 time zone.  :p

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #2,304 of 13,800
I'm fighting with my inner self to buy a LPS, but LHLabs already said it's not gonna work with Japan voltage....
sigh...guess I will just use iUSBPower as a replacement, but still....want to have a matched LPS.

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #2,305 of 13,800
  I'm fighting with my inner self to buy a LPS, but LHLabs already said it's not gonna work with Japan voltage....
sigh...guess I will just use iUSBPower as a replacement, but still....want to have a matched LPS.

So get a US model and use a 100v to 120v step-up transformer. Or get a 220v model and appropriate transformer if you think you'll be also using it in Europe.

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #2,306 of 13,800
The line frequency of the LPS you use in your area may be important for best performance. I'm not sure how critical line frequency is for filtering, regulators, circuit design etc. I think they're pretty tweaked for best performance. And according to Wikipedia Japan has 50hz in some areas and 60hz in others. So you should probably ask before you buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back