Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 1, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #2,326 of 13,800
Why isn't the LPS feeding clean USB to the Pulse?!

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #2,327 of 13,800
Why isn't the LPS feeding clean USB to the Pulse?!

That is not how it connects. Note the lower left corner of the LPS is the power out to the pulse. It feeds the 12v power in for the pulse.

The USB A input allows for you to use the LPS with the Geek Out. For example; MacBook Mini USB B out to LPS USB A in Geek Out from LPS USB B. That allows the LPS to power the Geek Out with clean power rather than connecting directly to the Mac

Like this.....

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #2,328 of 13,800
My question still stands.
You say
"That is not how it connects. Note the lower left corner of the LPS is the power out to the pulse. It feeds the 12v power in for the pulse."

BUT is that 12volt in NECESSARY to operate the :pULSE? Or is Audio {PLus POwer input form a computer via USB SUFFICIENT?

I ask becasue I cannot afford both PULSE and LPS. But there is no point in buying PULSE if it needs a separate LPS for me.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #2,329 of 13,800
The Pulse can operate without the LPS using a switched power supply. The USB can run from a computer (USB A) to the LPS (USB B) and then from the LPS (USB A) to the Pulse (USB B). This does not give power to the Pulse but it completes the handshake (5V) from a computer to the Pulse. Running through the LPS is supposed to clean/filter the USB signal and improve sound quality. Note that the LPS cannot be used with a Geek Out when wired in that fashion.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #2,330 of 13,800
LPS is completely optional. Pulse will work with regular switching supply if you didn't order an LPS.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #2,331 of 13,800
  The Pulse can operate without the LPS using a switched power supply. The USB can run from a computer (USB A) to the LPS (USB B) and then from the LPS (USB A) to the Pulse (USB B). This does not give power to the Pulse but it completes the handshake (5V) from a computer to the Pulse. Running through the LPS is supposed to clean/filter the USB signal and improve sound quality. Note that the LPS cannot be used with a Geek Out when wired in that fashion.

Axel,
EXACTLY the answer I was expecting!  this usb-reconnect is what we were trying to accomplish at RMAF table, but were missing a second USB cable.

I hope the reviewer actually uses the LPS to feed USB to the Pulse as you mention (and unplug the GeekOut for now), to help discern the overall impact of Pulse Xfi with AND without the LPS (for power AND USB).

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #2,332 of 13,800

Axel,
EXACTLY the answer I was expecting!  this usb-reconnect is what we were trying to accomplish at RMAF table, but were missing a second USB cable.

I hope the reviewer actually uses the LPS to feed USB to the Pulse as you mention (and unplug the GeekOut for now), to help discern the overall impact of Pulse Xfi with AND without the LPS (for power AND USB).

Lucky I have a spare Lightwave USB cable around here......
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #2,333 of 13,800
biggrin.gif

Wouldn't the optimal setup be Computer > Lightspeed 10G > LPS > Lightspeed 1G > Pulse? You'd at least be maximizing the transfer between the computer and LPS before dropping in quality. The other way around just seems like overkill to me.

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #2,334 of 13,800

biggrin.gif

Wouldn't the optimal setup be Computer > Lightspeed 10G > LPS > Lightspeed 1G > Pulse? You'd at least be maximizing the transfer between the computer and LPS before dropping in quality. The other way around just seems like overkill to me.

I'll give both ways a try Brian. Either way we have massive bandwidth to play with.

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2,335 of 13,800
  I'll give both ways a try Brian. Either way we have massive bandwidth to play with.

Just know that I'm anxiously awaiting your impressions. You're one of the lucky few who get to listen to the Pulse in a properly controlled environment. I know that CanJam didn't do it justice thanks to the outside noise, even on the Primes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back