Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 2, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #2,356 of 13,800
How about using the Pulse only for the DAC section? Any way to get it to "line out" status to feed into another amp, bypassing the Pulse's volume control?

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #2,358 of 13,800
It will be competitive at it's retail price point. At the currently available Indiegogo price it is a flat out steal.

Hmmm. Maybe I should be buying another Xfi!

I wasn't convinced by the LPS and intend to knock up my own for less money. However, it would be useful if you could give the LPS a try with some other suitable equipment to see where it sits as a stand alone PS. If that lives up to it's MSRP as well, then I may be persuaded to save some solder and go for one on the latest campaign.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #2,359 of 13,800

It will be competitive at it's retail price point. At the currently available Indiegogo price it is a flat out steal.

Hmmm. Maybe I should be buying another Xfi!

I wasn't convinced by the LPS and intend to knock up my own for less money. However, it would be useful if you could give the LPS a try with some other suitable equipment to see where it sits as a stand alone PS. If that lives up to it's MSRP as well, then I may be persuaded to save some solder and go for one on the latest campaign.

Thanks in advance.

I appreciate the interest in the capabilities of the LPS and the LPS 4. Clean power has a role in quality sound for sure. However, This review is focused on the Pulse X-Fi primarily. From a practical stand point, I would be at this for several weeks to consider the differences and implications of the LPS and its properties. I have to draw the line somewhere considering the time constraints of the review due date.

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2,361 of 13,800
Does anyone know how long the Geek Pulse "Forever Funding" program is going to to be open? Thanks!

And yes, the slope is looking quite slippery...

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #2,362 of 13,800
  Does anyone know how long the Geek Pulse "Forever Funding" program is going to to be open? Thanks!

And yes, the slope is looking quite slippery...

You know you want it Mike.....Slippery slope indeed.....
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2,363 of 13,800
evil_smiley.gif

Ha! You got me. Guilty as charged. 

But seriously, I'm currently running my Burson Conductor just for the USB and DAC sections, feeding my Bakoon HPA-21 which drive my LCD-3F's. Am wondering if a Pulse Xfi with LPS would beat out the Burson for USB/DAC duties? I'm guessing so. The outside stretch would be if the Pulse Xfi/LPS would make my Bakoon amp irrelevant. Any thoughts? 

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #2,364 of 13,800

evil_smiley.gif

But seriously, I'm currently running my Burson Conductor just for the USB and DAC sections, feeding my Bakoon HPA-21 which drive my LCD-3F's. Am wondering if a Pulse Xfi with LPS would beat out the Burson for USB/DAC duties? I'm guessing so. The outside stretch would be if the Pulse Xfi/LPS would make my Bakoon amp irrelevant. Any thoughts? 

I have seen a lot of happy posts regarding the Bakoon. I do think the Pulse would out perform the Burson for DAC duties. The Pulse with LPS is an impressive DAC/Amp combo. Plenty of power yet great nuances and coherence. We are all using some great gear. The Pulse is hanging with my big boys just fine so far.

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #2,365 of 13,800
  I have seen a lot of happy posts regarding the Bakoon. I do think the Pulse would out perform the Burson for DAC duties. The Pulse with LPS is an impressive DAC/Amp combo. Plenty of power yet great nuances and coherence. We are all using some great gear. The Pulse is hanging with my big boys just fine so far.

Okay, here's the next step on the slope that's so slippery. USB cables - Lightspeed 1G versus 2G? I've pre-ordered the Lightspeed 1G Micro for my Geek Wave, but now that I'm considering the Pulse Xfi and LPS it looks like I'll need 2 additional cables (and not micros) for that setup. So is the 1G at $59 the better buy or the 2G at $259? I do believe in the power of good cables, but have no experience with Larry's wires. Thanks again!

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #2,366 of 13,800

Okay, here's the next step on the slope that's so slippery. USB cables - Lightspeed 1G versus 2G? I've pre-ordered the Lightspeed 1G Micro for my Geek Wave, but now that I'm considering the Pulse Xfi and LPS it looks like I'll need 2 additional cables (and not micros) for that setup. So is the 1G at $59 the better buy or the 2G at $259? I do believe in the power of good cables, but have no experience with Larry's wires. Thanks again!

Cables!! Are we going to have a cable discussion on Head-Fi??  
eek.gif

OK...The 1G is an easy comparable to say the Audioquest Carbon (Which I have) It is a very nice USB cable. The big boy I am using is the full 10 GPS Lightspeed. It is not part of the campaign. It is the single best USB cable I have ever used. I plugged it in and turned on my Vandersteen's and just stood there unable to believe what I was hearing. It was the only change to the system. Holy cow!

So, anyway, given the value proposition we are seeing from LH, I would feel comfortable with the 2G as being worth the extra $$. The Lightspeed is another conversation.

BTW, nice writeup about the Big Lightspeed by John Darko. 

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/10/light-harmonic-lightspeed-usb-cable-meta-review/

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #2,367 of 13,800

Mike, when you get it you could try it both ways.  Straight Pulse Xfi/LPS to yours cans or use the line out to the Bakoon to see which HA is better!

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #2,368 of 13,800

Mike, when you get it you could try it both ways.  Straight Pulse Xfi/LPS to yours cans or use the line out to the Bakoon to see which HA is better!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Thanks!

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #2,369 of 13,800
eek.gif

OK...The 1G is an easy comparable to say the Audioquest Carbon (Which I have) It is a very nice USB cable. The big boy I am using is the full 10 GPS Lightspeed. It is not part of the campaign. It is the single best USB cable I have ever used. I plugged it in and turned on my Vandersteen's and just stood there unable to believe what I was hearing. It was the only change to the system. Holy cow!

So, anyway, given the value proposition we are seeing from LH, I would feel comfortable with the 2G as being worth the extra $$. The Lightspeed is another conversation.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/10/light-harmonic-lightspeed-usb-cable-meta-review/

Thanks for the input. 

Have to admit I haven't been paying as much attention to the development of Larry's cables as I have the rest of the LH Labs lineup. I seem to remember there being debate about whether the 2G was going to be a split configuration or not. How did that turn out? Will all 2G's be split, or is that just an option? If the 2G is split I'll definitely take the jump from the 1G (but the 10G is a little too rich for my blood). 

Thanks again 

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #2,370 of 13,800

eek.gif

Thanks for the input. 

Have to admit I haven't been paying as much attention to the development of Larry's cables as I have the rest of the LH Labs lineup. I seem to remember there being debate about whether the 2G was going to be a split configuration or not. How did that turn out? Will all 2G's be split, or is that just an option? If the 2G is split I'll definitely take the jump from the 1G (but the 10G is a little too rich for my blood). 

Thanks again 

I do not know all the iterations of their cables. I am enjoying a 10G atm along with a 1G. Both part of the review gear. Fun to play with high end toys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back