aes/ebu
optical toslink
usb
outputs:
rca out on back
dual 3 pin xlr on back
1/4" headphone out on front
4 pin XLR out on front

so if you get the X you can still use your single ended equipment but you also have the option of using balanced xlr equipment in the future..  I'm pretty sure that's right, maybe someone else can verify my listing of ports

And digital out since it was the $500k stretchgoal. Or have I missed something?

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #979 of 13,800
I'm late at this indiegogo backup, so I am in this thread, so I beg you pardon if the point has already been mentionned.

About the standard Pulse vs. S / X versions :
The "balanced" concept looks like a marketing gimmick to me.
XLR cables have important advantages over really long distances, mainly to fight noise. It's infact a plus when you do pro audio, creating the sound system for a concert hall, even recording live events, etc.
For us home persons there's pretty close to no sense to use those balanced cables, so to buy balanced systems.
Just my 2 cents.

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #980 of 13,800
Yes there is of course an on-going debate as to whether or not balanced audio setups for home use provide any benefits.

....but must of us here in Head-Fi are audiophiles which means you have people from both sides of that arguement, that is why there is the standard Geek Pulse as well as the Pulse X.

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #981 of 13,800
Whether or not the xlr cabling gives a sound improvement, running two dac chips in dual mono differential mode gives higher SNR and reduced noise floor, I've heard anyway :p  Plus the highest end equipment uses xlr and it opens up those options to you.  Also usually the connection between the xlr connector and the pcb is better than the connection between the rca and pcb I've noticed in general.  No reason technically for it to be that way but in testing it usually is for some reason
edit:  another advantage of the X I just thought of.. the line outs are both active at the same time so you could run the RCA to one device like a subwoofer and the XLR to another device like powered monitors

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #982 of 13,800
And ALL Outputs have GAIN settings. So you can tune your Pulse to your Cans, Preamp, Amp, Integrated Amp.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #983 of 13,800
I'm too lazy to find the post for you but larry basically said these are the improvements from the upgrades in order of biggest change to smallest
Geek Pulse X/S
Femto
LPS
Active components
Passive components

but my friend who is an amateur amp/dac designer suggested the LPS will make a bigger difference than anything else in a system that is otherwise well designed.. so there you go.. two opinions.  Also my opinion is that if you can afford the S you may as well get the X, it contains BOTH types of ports and is only 20 bux more.. that way if you upgrade other stuff in the future you can use the xlr ports

I would also put the LPS at the top.

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #984 of 13,800
I feel like this has gone much too far. It started out as a $300 DAC/AMP that was well priced for the features. Now it has turned into, I don't even know. Anybody else in the same boat?

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #985 of 13,800
not really. they still have the basic if you want that, and the upgraded if you want more. pretty much covering all their bases the best way possible so no one is left out.

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #986 of 13,800
Heh yes I feel like all the new cables are a bit too much for a crowdfunding campaign.  They should have stuck with pulse, pulse x, femto, lps

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #987 of 13,800
  I feel like this has gone much too far. It started out as a $300 DAC/AMP that was well priced for the features. Now it has turned into, I don't even know. Anybody else in the same boat?

I still think the base spec will be very impressive for $300. They've released additional options and upgrades to improve on it. I feel if you came for a $300 DAC/amp then you won't be disappointed. But I also wouldn't expect that $300 DAC/amp combo to take on the same competition that it's bigger siblings are targeting.

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #988 of 13,800

Did you get a basic Geek Pulse unit? Fellow Seattle-ite here. I went with pretty much all the upgrades....my poor wallet. :frowning2:
Maybe we can have a local meet some day to compare the two units [upgraded vs basic]!

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #989 of 13,800

You may feel that way, but 425+ other people felt otherwise for Femto clocks. Another 400+ felt that way for the LPS, X, etc. You also get the option to not get stuck with extra options that you don't want. With multiple versions/upgrades, everybody wins.

It wasn't like they just added them all randomly. They were requested, and they made it happen. Kudos to them for listening to the community, which is very rare nowadays.

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #990 of 13,800
In the past 48 hours I've made it half way to a free Geek Out. Too bad I won't make the freebie. But hey, more people are getting a Pulse, huzzah!

Quote:
Did you get a basic Geek Pulse unit? Fellow Seattle-ite here. I went with pretty much all the upgrades....my poor wallet.
frown.gif

Maybe we can have a local meet some day to compare the two units [upgraded vs basic]!

I would love to see those two compared side by side. I support this meet idea.

[edit] Random idea. If I receive enough referrals to get a Geek Out I could donate it in a Head-Fi giveaway. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back