Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 28, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #991 of 13,800
In for a Pulse X with Femto clock, upgraded opamps and the LPS. Seems like a great deal. I hope sound quality and build quality are up to par and of course it would be a nice surprise to get more than I bargained for (or at least feel that way after delivery). Buying it for my small office system. Will compare in my main system with the Meitner MA-1 when I get it and post impressions.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #993 of 13,800
Now that the campaign is over, and in honor of my kids, I'll ask the age old question of the impatient:

"Are we there yet?"

Stay tuned for tomorrow's episode, where once again I ask the question:

"Are we there yet?"

Larry, congratulations on a very successful campaign, and good luck with the work still ahead!  All kidding aside with the impatience thing... I think most would agree with me when I say that we're more interested in things being done right than done fast.  I look forward to getting some awesome products from you in the coming year!

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #994 of 13,800
  Now that the campaign is over, and in honor of my kids, I'll ask the age old question of the impatient:

"Are we there yet?"

Stay tuned for tomorrow's episode, where once again I ask the question:

"Are we there yet?"

Larry, congratulations on a very successful campaign, and good luck with the work still ahead!  All kidding aside with the impatience thing... I think most would agree with me when I say that we're more interested in things being done right than done fast.  I look forward to getting some awesome products from you in the coming year!

Uzi,

I completely understand and agree.

In modern design and engineering, we always face the de Lima of quality vs speed. 
This campaign has created enough awareness in the general public, not only inside audiophile circle. So this is the project that we could not fail. 

From the day one, my vision is to make more people believe that music's sound quality should be more important than convenience. 
MP3 was a great invention.  But we should not and no need to use it any more.  44.1K was a good compromise in 1980. But we should not and no need to limit ourselves there any more.

This vision sounds so easy inside computeraudiophile.com... but trust me, for most people, they still don't understand what we are fighting for. 

Geek Out/Pulse is the first battle. We can not lose. Geek Out is not against the other portable DAC in Hi-end audio industry. 

The most powerful enemy for Geek Out is: Computer lap top's headphone jack and the 50-cent ICs behind.
We don't even need to talk about iPhone, Android combo. 

If you know my whole logic here, you will understand why Light Harmonic choose Kickstarter and Indiegogo as our product launching and design platform. And you will know why I still put that terrible sounding Dr. Dre in Kickstarter's introduction video.

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #995 of 13,800
Yep, I definitely agree.  In my ideal (and realistic) world, music streaming services like the one I work on are there for music discovery and casual listening, and high resolution music downloads are what people buy and download instead of mp3s.  (And don't get me started on the fact that many albums can be bought at Amazon on CD with a free mp3 copy for cheaper than just the album in mp3 format.)

In other news, the "My Impact" page on Indiegogo shows a "
$2,539 USD" value in the "Funds Contributed" column.  I figure the extra Geek Pulse will go for upgrading my wife's setup at work.​

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #996 of 13,800
So just a quick question: I bought the geek pulse holiday special with femto and X upgrade and I was wondering how I pay the second and third payments for the holiday special. Also, Does it make a difference that I bought the holiday special or will I still get a Geek pulse x with a femto upgrade?

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #997 of 13,800
 Also my opinion is that if you can afford the S you may as well get the X, it contains BOTH types of ports and is only 20 bux more.. that way if you upgrade other stuff in the future you can use the xlr ports

I was of the same opinion. This is why I was asking about it as it didn't make sense to me. 

Hello Larry, is there really and difference between the path of the 1/4" headphone jack on pulse X versus the Pulse S. Is the only difference between the two devices the XLR on the Pulse X?

The left and right channel should be processed and grounded independently, leaving less cross talk and interference. 

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #998 of 13,800
  So just a quick question: I bought the geek pulse holiday special with femto and X upgrade and I was wondering how I pay the second and third payments for the holiday special. Also, Does it make a difference that I bought the holiday special or will I still get a Geek pulse x with a femto upgrade?

The second and third payments will automatically come out on Feb 1st and March 1st. If you chose the Geek Pulse X + Pay Plan at $329 then yes you'll be getting the Pulse X with a femto clock and an LPS4.

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #999 of 13,800
I
The second and third payments will automatically come out on Feb 1st and March 1st. If you chose the Geek Pulse X + Pay Plan at $329 then yes you'll be getting the Pulse X with a femto clock and an LPS4.

I bought just the geek pulse but I also bought the upgrade for 140 and the femto for 120. Does it work that way?

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #1,000 of 13,800
I
I bought just the geek pulse but I also bought the upgrade for 140 and the femto for 120. Does it work that way?

Yep, if you bought the Pulse and then added the $140 and $120 you'll get both. Make sure when the survey gets mailed out that your amount matches what they have and then confirm what you had backed.

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #1,001 of 13,800
Larry posted the initial plans for the LED Layout on lhlabs in this thread http://www.lhlabs.com/force/geekpulse/336-geek-pulse-design-ideas
The only thing I didn't like was the plans to change input by pushing in the volume knob.. I suggested a button instead.. here's what he wrote

Larry Ho wrote:
This is an important information.

Here is the final draft of LEDs on the front panel... Welcome good feedback.

<Sample Rates>
x2
x4
x8

<PCM/DSD Indicator>
DSD (off means PCM)

<3D Indicator>
On/ Off

<Volume Indicator>
Total 8 LED levels. When all LEDs off, means MUTE.
All LEDs being on means -0dB FS (Max volume)
each level is -12dB...
So level will be -0dB, -12dB, -24dB.... -96dB and MUTE

<Input Indicators>
USB
Digital 1
Digital 2
Toslink

Welcome to freely distribute these LEDs to proper place. Just don't get too close to the edge. Also, leave some space around the knob.

Volume Knob will have Switch function by pressing the top.
Single press means input switching... 1 ~ 4
Double press means turn the 3D on and off.

So we could keep front panel clean, use one knob only.

Enjoy!

Oh, almost forget, do you guys like 'Power On' indicator? Or 'Music On' indicator?

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #1,003 of 13,800

Does it matter if it was the pulse in 3 payments (holiday special)?

Shouldn't. But may be wise to keep an eye out for the survey to make sure your info is correct. If there's any kind of mix-up I'm sure Gavin and team can get it sorted. Larry's going to be too busy working with his team testing everything.

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #1,004 of 13,800
Design I submitted on the LH forum before I went for the holidays days back...

CLEAN

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #1,005 of 13,800
DA VINCI V

Users who are viewing this thread

Back