Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #872 of 13,800

You assume we've been invited to any. Shame on you.

Yeah, everyone knows audiophile's don't leave the house! Too much music to listen too

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #873 of 13,800
Something is getting announced on the Indiegogo page at 6PM PST/9PM EST tonight. Wonder what Larry had in stock for us this time. More femto? New accessory? Geek Out Mini? A "major award?"

Here's Gavin's quote from the page:
Quote: Gavin
Hey there.  Yes, I'm in the office.  :) Thank you so much for your continued support on our campaign during this busy holiday season.  With 4 days left, we're within spitting distance of $1,000,000!  Amazing!
In about 2 hours and 20 minutes, I'm going to be adding some new perks for our final push, including some more femto clock upgrades.  Keep an eye on the campaign at about 6:00 PM Pacific time to see those changes.
All my best,
Gavin

New perks! And more femto clocks. I'll be watching very closely to see if they can magically make money disappear from my wallet.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #874 of 13,800
these guys know how to keep you interested. =)

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #875 of 13,800
Something is getting announced on the Indiegogo page at 6PM PST/9PM EST tonight. Wonder what Larry had in stock for us this time. More femto? New accessory? Geek Out Mini? A "major award?"

Here's Gavin's quote from the page:
 [COLOR=222222]Hey there.  Yes, I'm in the office.  :)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Thank you so much for your continued support on our campaign during this busy holiday season.  With 4 days left, we're within spitting distance of $1,000,000!  Amazing![/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]In about 2 hours and 20 minutes, I'm going to be adding some new perks for our final push, including some more femto clock upgrades.  Keep an eye on the campaign at about 6:00 PM Pacific time to see those changes.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]All my best,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Gavin[/COLOR]

New perks! And more femto clocks. I'll be watching very closely to see if they can magically make money disappear from my wallet.

Or 5 PM Pacific time according to Larry in the forums. XD
Hi, Force

Come to check the Indiegogo page this 5PM PST.
Something cool for you there.

Larry

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #876 of 13,800
Is GFOLPS and Geek LPS the same thing?
If I were to add the above, I need to get another Lightspeed Jr?

BTW, is the Linear Power Supply worthy to get or should I just get a 3rd party one?

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #878 of 13,800
Is GFOLPS and Geek LPS the same thing?
If I were to add the above, I need to get another Lightspeed Jr?

BTW, is the Linear Power Supply worthy to get or should I just get a 3rd party one?

GFOLPS is for Geek Force members only. If you're a member help yourself and save $100! If you're not you can join for free a lhlabs.com. Come join us on the force! As for the Lightspeed Jr. cable you only "need" one, but if you want to clean the line coming from your computer you'll "want" a second one to run from the LPS to the computer. It's certainly not a requirement.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #879 of 13,800
GFOLPS is for Geek Force members only. If you're a member help yourself and save $100! If you're not you can join for free a lhlabs.com. Come join us on the force! As for the Lightspeed Jr. cable you only "need" one, but if you want to clean the line coming from your computer you'll "want" a second one to run from the LPS to the computer. It's certainly not a requirement.

Geek-LPS-Drawing.jpg

geek_pulse_back_panel.jpg

So I can use either the 12v DC out from the backpanel to the Geek Pulse DAC to the port below the on/off switch without a 2nd Lightspeed Jr?

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #880 of 13,800
Do we know if both the balanced and unbalanced sides of the X will use the femto clocks? I don't know enough about this sorta hardware to know if that's easy and expected or complicated and more expensive/etc.

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #881 of 13,800

Geek-LPS-Drawing.jpg

geek_pulse_back_panel.jpg

So I can use either the 12v DC out from the backpanel to the Geek Pulse DAC to the port below the on/off switch without a 2nd Lightspeed Jr?

To connect your Pulse to the LPS(4) you will use a 12V power cord [presumably provided with the LPS(4)] that goes from a 12V output on the back of the LPS(4) to the power input jack on the back of the Pulse (below the power switch). Then you still need to connect your Pulse to a USB port from your source, i.e. a Mac or PC. If you're concerned that the USB port on your source might introduce noise into the Pulse, you can run a USB cable (i.e. Lightspeed Jr.) from your source USB port to the type B USB input on the LPS(4). Then use a 2nd USB cable (i.e. Lightspeed Jr.) from the type A USB out port on the LPS(4) to the USB type B input on the back of the Pulse.

Computer/Music Source (USB) --> LPS(4) USB B Input --> LPS(4) USB A Output --> Pulse USB B Input

LPS(4) 12V Power Output --> Pulse 12V Power Input

Those are the two connections you should make to have the cleanest solution, but be aware that the Pulse only uses USB power during initial handshaking. After that, it only uses the USB data signals. If you do decide to 'filter' your USB, you can purchase a 2nd Lightspeed Jr. for $30 as an addon to your LPS(4) purchase. Just use the $1 Big Thanks perk if you didn't add the 2nd Lightspeed Jr. amount ($30) to your LPS(4) perk contribution. When LH Labs sends an email to confirm your contributions after the campaign ends, you can let them know what the $30 Big Thanks perk was for.

Dale

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #882 of 13,800
  Do we know if both the balanced and unbalanced sides of the X will use the femto clocks? I don't know enough about this sorta hardware to know if that's easy and expected or complicated and more expensive/etc.

The femto clock will replace/upgrade the standard clock used in the Pulse (X). It will be used for all circuitry, balanced and unbalanced, wherever the clock is required.

Dale

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #883 of 13,800

That's how it's intended. The USB won't carry power for the Pulse. The benefit of running through the LPS is to clean up a noisy USB port on a computer, and those are quite common. Only 1 Lightspeed Jr is required. If you're getting an LPS it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up a second Jr cable while you can snag them at a discount.

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #885 of 13,800
  200 new Femtoclocks, if someone needs them.

I don't know how to feel about the USB cable. 

200 femto upgrades, plus you can also buy the Pulse with femto bundle (no limits shown, but delivery not until July 2014). As for the Lightspeed Jr. 2G, not sure that I'm up for it either. While I have some tolerance for the idea that a well designed USB cable will help, I'm still of the opinion that digital is digital. Jitter is the worst enemy, but I suspect the standard Lightspeed Jr. that already has twice the standard USB bandwidth will be more than sufficient. If the signal arrives cleanly, the 'bits are bits' argument can be used. In extreme cases you might be able to hear the difference, but not me with my deteriorating hearing (with age). I can still hear the difference between a single-ended and balanced system, but I'm not sure I'll notice the improvements from the femto and passive components. If we do get to the $1M mark and they offer active component upgrades, those can definitely be audible.

Interesting to see how these new perks work - I'm sure just the additional femto clocks and Pulse with femto bundles will help us meet the stretch goal.

Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back