Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #843 of 13,800
I've been lurking with interest looking at the Geek Pulse.  I am interested in reading some reviews of the Geek Out Dac, but I can't actually find any reviews on this site on on the Internet in general.  Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #844 of 13,800
  I've been lurking with interest looking at the Geek Pulse.  I am interested in reading some reviews of the Geek Out Dac, but I can't actually find any reviews on this site on on the Internet in general.  Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Hasn't been official released yet. Expected deliveries in early January. There are a few impressions of the prototype in the CanJam thread and maybe a few in some recent meet threads. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #845 of 13,800

We absolutely can, unfortunately they're first impressions only. The Geek Out won't start shipping to backers until January. So all that's been reviewed was pre-production. You can find early impressions in the CanJam Impressions thread.

[Edit] GREEEEEEEEEEED! *shakes fist*

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #846 of 13,800
Then I withdraw my question!  I wouldn't be interested in the Pulse without knowing that the Geek Out was exceptional, and it's too early to tell I guess.  Still looking for my best fit  usb dac/headphone amp :)

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #847 of 13,800
  Then I withdraw my question!  I wouldn't be interested in the Pulse without knowing that the Geek Out was exceptional, and it's too early to tell I guess.  Still looking for my best fit  usb dac/headphone amp :)

Hey there's no shame in waiting until the Pulse or Out are available and reading some reviews before deciding. You'll still be able to get a great product when the Pulse hits shelves. The only difference is price. That's why a bunch of us have backed the campaign, to help LH have the funds for production and to score ourselves units at a discount when production is underway. There are many reasons to be cautious so I can fully understand wanting some tangible evidence that it'll turn out well.

As for me I'm using the DaVinci as my evidence. It's highly praised and the Out and Pulse are coming from one of the very brains behind the DaVinci DAC.

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #848 of 13,800
Just a side note. For those who's in in their Geek Force forum, How much Larry dedicates his time discussing and explaining with other forum members?

Too much is an understatement.

And they're stakes are far greater than ours. Name, Company, future sales etc.

Those alone gives me assurance.

And its not IMO, a $300-$1000 product anymore. It has become a community effort. We have become involved.

And this has reflected on the various options available because we suggested it. From the basic to the advanced. To each his own.

It's funny that in my original post, I stated that 'I'm here only for the music'. Never expected that I will be hearing it with new friends. ^_^

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #849 of 13,800
Just a side note. For those who's in in their Geek Force forum, How much Larry dedicates his time discussing and explaining with other forum members?

Too much is an understatement.

And they're stakes are far greater than ours. Name, Company, future sales etc.

Those alone gives me assurance.

And its not IMO, a $300-$1000 product anymore. It has become a community effort. We have become involved.

And this has reflected on the various options available because we suggested it. From the basic to the advanced. To each his own.

It's funny that in my original post, I stated that 'I'm here only for the music'. Never expected that I will be hearing it with new friends. ^_^

The Geek Out and Geek Pulse campaigns remind me of how I became able to build my DIY speakers.

The DIY speaker community came together in an idea for a waveguide, which then turned prototype, and is now being sold. I purchased it and built my speaker based off the designs, and I now have some of the best speakers in my home theater that I have ever heard in my life. Everyone who comes over thinks I'm bs'ing when I say it sounds better here than the movie theater, and they leave stunned. They will probably sound even better if I run the Geek Pulse through them. Info on the SEOS waveguide and speaker kits (measurements, kits, etc). http://www.avsforum.com/t/1291022/hey-guys-we-need-a-little-rallying-here

So based on my success from a previous crowdsourced project in audio, I know it can be wildly successful and highly rewarding if done right. The community feels like part of the project, and some great ideas happen because of it. The early discounts add even more value.

I'm thinking they can pull off a "Mini Da Vinci" of sorts. You start with a great basic Pulse, then with add on options you can build a DAC that can compete and beat similar component DACs on price and performance. A fully loaded Pulse X that can beat a $3,500 Auralic would be amazing.

I'm rooting for them to pull it off. Their success will also be ours.

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #851 of 13,800
  It's up to $917k.   omg please make 1 million

i do believe there's a chance !    
popcorn.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #852 of 13,800
Well, Larry and Gavin have been talking about getting with Crystek and ordering another batch of femto clocks, if they're able in budget. And if they can then that will lead to more femot upgrades (obviously) as well as new members joining the Geek Force. That will be a nice push towards the $1M mark if they're able. I've also been spamming my social media connections. I'm sure by now they're tired of the links but I keep going because I want to get the most out of this project that I can.

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #853 of 13,800

The Geek Out added a lot of funds the last 2-3 days - http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/gavn8r/geek-a-new-usb-awesomifier-for-headphones/#chart-daily

Finishing up after Christmas should help quite a bit too, holiday bonus, gift cash or just buying something better than sox for yourself. :D

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #854 of 13,800
We'll doing my share of spreading the good word. Because, I looovee to have that "active components" upgrade... He he he

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #855 of 13,800
We'll doing my share of spreading the good word. Because, I looovee to have that "active components" upgrade... He he he

Me too... I'm sharing it with everyone that I think might have the slightest interest, and a lot who simply don't care. But I'll admit it's for the mostly selfish reason that I too would like to have the best possible unit with the best sound as determined by Larry Ho - come on $1M mark and those 'active component' upgrades!

Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back