Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Aug 14, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #11,611 of 13,800
I used to have similar problems but found that ensuring that the Pulse was set as the default device the issues went away. My Infinity with LPS is connected to my PC running Windows 10 64bit. I use both headphones and desktop speakers and have to swap between the devices in my sound settings depending on what I want to listen to.

Perhaps this may help.

As for my LPS... it is still dead and I have not heard back from LH since Manny reached out a week ago. Basically waiting for fuse type confirmation so I can replace the blown fuse. If it blows again it will have to be shipped back.

Miss the LPS :frowning2:

Ah I actually use OS X. The X Infinity makes the default device selection program freeze up when this problem occurs, so the hard reboot is required.

I haven't had any problems with it in W10 whenever I use it for gaming and whatnot.

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #11,612 of 13,800
I used to have similar problems but found that ensuring that the Pulse was set as the default device the issues went away. My Infinity with LPS is connected to my PC running Windows 10 64bit. I use both headphones and desktop speakers and have to swap between the devices in my sound settings depending on what I want to listen to.

Perhaps this may help.

As for my LPS... it is still dead and I have not heard back from LH since Manny reached out a week ago. Basically waiting for fuse type confirmation so I can replace the blown fuse. If it blows again it will have to be shipped back.

Miss the LPS
frown.gif

​In the last week, my computer would freeze up during music playback (J River 22)  Pulse Xfi, and I spent time trouble shooting the problem.  "This thread tends to blame everything on Pulse problems," but I believe that the Sound Default setting was changed during Windows 10 updates. I reset the default to Pulse Xfi, and the freeze ups stopped! {Computer, LightSpeed Revive, Pulse Xfi, Pulse LPS4}

savaloco, I upgraded my Pulse LPS4 fuse a year ago {1A F, (fast blow) small fuse} original value, with HiFi Tuning fuse from www.partsconnexion.com

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #11,613 of 13,800
  ​In the last week, my computer would freeze up during music playback (J River 22)  Pulse Xfi, and I spent time trouble shooting the problem.  "This thread tends to blame everything on Pulse problems," but I believe that the Sound Default setting was changed during Windows 10 updates. I reset the default to Pulse Xfi, and the freeze ups stopped! {Computer, LightSpeed Revive, Pulse Xfi, Pulse LPS4}

savaloco, I upgraded my Pulse LPS4 fuse a year ago {1A F, (fast blow) small fuse} original value, with HiFi Tuning fuse from www.partsconnexion.com

5mm x 20mm (small) , 1 Amp, 250 Volt, slow blow

From: Technical Support Team <support@lhlabs.freshdesk.com>
To:
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: LPS4 & Future LPS8

Hello Gery

This is Matt from Technical Support. I greatly apologize for the delayed response. The fuse rating/amperage is 1A , voltage is 250V and it is slow blow. Unfortunately we don't have the specs set in stone for LPS 8 so we cannot release any information regarding that.

If you have any further questions, do let me know. If not, I will go ahead and mark this ticket as "Closed".

Hope this helps!

- Matt

Ticket: https://support.lhlabs.com/helpdesk/tickets/25163

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #11,614 of 13,800

Did you notice a significant difference with the HiFi Tuning fuse, and did you replace the fuse in your Pulse Xfi as well?

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #11,615 of 13,800
  5mm x 20mm (small) , 1 Amp, 250 Volt, slow blow

From: Technical Support Team <support@lhlabs.freshdesk.com>
To:
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: LPS4 & Future LPS8

Hello Gery

This is Matt from Technical Support. I greatly apologize for the delayed response. The fuse rating/amperage is 1A , voltage is 250V and it is slow blow. Unfortunately we don't have the specs set in stone for LPS 8 so we cannot release any information regarding that.

If you have any further questions, do let me know. If not, I will go ahead and mark this ticket as "Closed".

Hope this helps!

- Matt

Ticket: https://support.lhlabs.com/helpdesk/tickets/25163

Gery,

I examined the orginal fuse installed in the Pulse LPS4 (1st ED), with a 10X Jewelers Loupe, and the fuse value I read was 1A F (Fast Blow). If it was a slow blow fuse it would read 1A T. My LPS 4 works with no problems.

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #11,616 of 13,800

Did you notice a significant difference with the HiFi Tuning fuse, and did you replace the fuse in your Pulse Xfi as well?

I have used Hi-Fi Tuning Fuses in different applications, AMP's, Subwoofers, LPS4. Silver has an effect on SQ, but with LPS's the effect would be minimal. You are replacing a fuse with a quality fuse. IMOP. Opening the Pulse case would void the warranty. Replacing the LPS 4 fuse is easy.

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #11,617 of 13,800
OMG, this madness still goes on, years later. Sadly seems you guys have all been hoodwinked :frowning2:

Most other manufacturers-gone-bad would have had the decency to drop off the face of the earth by now (I've seen it a number of times now in head-if history, and experienced it personally). But this LH Labs nonsense goes on, like a recurrent nightmare. They've done a lot of damage to the goodwill of this community. And they should be held accountable for that. 

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #11,618 of 13,800
  Gery,

I examined the orginal fuse installed in the Pulse LPS4 (1st ED), with a 10X Jewelers Loupe, and the fuse value I read was 1A F (Fast Blow). If it was a slow blow fuse it would read 1A T. My LPS 4 works with no problems.

Spyder1,

I have no doubt it works fine.  I wonder why they put in a fast blow in yours but tech support advised slow blow.  Regardless, they both seem to work fine. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #11,619 of 13,800
My LPS4 came with a fast blow as well.

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #11,621 of 13,800
Damn, I walked right into that one

Well played sir, well played.

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #11,623 of 13,800
  Anybody has any previous experience in regards to the Geek LPS suddenly have its yellow light shut down, thus no flow to the Pulse, shutting it down? I'm getting that quite a few times recently.

I'm having exactly the same problem.  I have the LPS4 and using other outputs didn't help.  I initially thought it was just a firmware issue with the Pulse Infinity.  After firmware upgrade and downgrade, it was not resolved.  How were you able to resolve it?  RMA?

First post here, and it's a moan :frowning2:

I have a 2 week old Pulse Infinity, powered via an LPS4. It sounds great.

However, today the dot matrix screen is dead.
The Volume knob doesn't do anything.

Cycling the power, removing all the cables etc doesn't alter this.

It is recognised by the Mac, and outputs music (but I cannot alter the volume).

Any thoughts as to the dead DM screen / volume knob.
Is there a way to hard reset it?

I've logged a Support message with LHLabs, but wonder if any of you have had the same problem.

I hope this isn't representative, as I'm waiting on quite a few more bits, and have "invested" significantly in their products thus far!

Thx. Inotrope

Same exact problem here.  At first it was the LPS4 that just quit but it turns back on after power cycle, then, the screen of the Pulse Infinity disappeared and didn't come back after power cycle.  Music continues to play and volume knob does not respond.

It appears that both issues are related like LPS4 causing the Pulse Infinity to fail.  Looks like I am returning both units.  Very sad here since I do not have any back-up.
frown.gif

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #11,624 of 13,800
  OMG, this madness still goes on, years later. Sadly seems you guys have all been hoodwinked :frowning2:

Most other manufacturers-gone-bad would have had the decency to drop off the face of the earth by now (I've seen it a number of times now in head-if history, and experienced it personally). But this LH Labs nonsense goes on, like a recurrent nightmare. They've done a lot of damage to the goodwill of this community. And they should be held accountable for that. 

Yeah I thought I was going crazy on realizing this thread was 775 pages long when everyone said the product sucked. Thought for sure I was missing something.

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #11,625 of 13,800
  I am sorry to hear about your fails, I also show you have not responded to your ticket in two months now. It would seem the MU shield was simply missed when work was done on your unit. Yes you must turn the knob to engage volume as a safety precaution to your amp and headphones (that was embedded in the firmware update). typically from when computer sleeps then turns back on, we have gotten feedback from our customers to mute the system until the volume knob is engaged to avoid loud system sounds etc. like your windows boot on sounds and so you can see where your dB is currently set to and adjust your amp accordingly before turning the knob.

Please respond to your ticket so we can have your issue addressed.

It's been a while since I visited these forums.  I'm assuming you guys have no idea what a hassle it is to deal with RMA's on an international level.  I don't have the time to deal with flawed design and broken hardware especially when I'm currently in the process of relocating back to the Bay Area.  

1.) I have multiple units that failed.  One unit is in HK and I can't ship it to your China RMA depot without showing a proper invoice and insurance because the Chinese govt wants their $.  
2.) I have NO confidence in your China service center being able to fix the problem 
3.) Given that you guys can't seem to finish delivering the remaining Pulses along with all the other people reporting how long it takes you guys to respond or fix things, I wonder when you guys can even RMA these things.

I was one of your early backers backing 3 x pulse+lps putting my faith in Larry by voting with my wallet.  What I got for my $3k+ is junk.  Really it's just junk right now.  

I want YOU guys to pay and fix these things back in the US because couriers in HK aren't willing to take it to China without an invoice.   

I really wonder if you guys even realize that you don't have much of a reputation or goodwill with original backers like me.  Furthermore, you've lost future/potential customers because people like me have made it my mission to make sure everyone that I know stay away from you guys.

Comparing the Pulse head to head with a Mytek, M-DAC, Benchmark DAC2 made it painfully obvious just how flaky/broken the Pulse really is.  Again, I really would like to know how you guys can claim to have such high testing standards when I can find so many problems/flaws with it right out of the box.  From the videos I shared with your techs, all these are considered 'ghost' issues but they're very real to me when I almost thought my HD650s were destroyed simply by plugging it into the damn Pulse.  Being fed up with this thing, I opened up the damn thing and found out its missing the shields.  Look at the photo.  That QC passed sticker is a joke to me.

I have an idea, why don't you/Larry etc put yourself in my shoes feeling like a complete fool when you give up $3k+ of your hard earned money.  I guess I just might have it all wrong because for you guys and all the other big spending audio guys, money grows on trees and $3k+ is really nothing.  

I'd like to call out all the so called reviewers that praised this thing like it's the second coming of Christ because I question how you guys are testing, if at all.  If someone like me can find so many problems right out of the box, I don't know what you guys are doing.  Luckily, I actually know of a reviewer that agrees with me and have the evidence of that conversation but I don't think it's prudent to post that at this point.

Of all the gear that I've actually used, (Mytek, Benchmark, Audiolab, Gryphon, Goldmund, Job), the Pulse is the only piece of kit that has caused me problems right from the get go.  This thing isn't a Tesla/rocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back