Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
May 13, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #7,246 of 13,800
  Received my Pulse X yesterday, but like others on various forums, there are popping/buzzing sounds when changing sample rates. When the popping/buzzing sounds are heard, the Pulse X display flickers (the flickering display with popping sounds was reported by a certain online personality too). Popping/buzzing sounds are especially prolonged and loud when switching to higher sampling rates (e.g. when Pulse X switches to 176kHz momentarily when playing DoP, before switching to DSD64; while 176kHz is being displayed, sometimes for as long as a few seconds, the popping/buzzing sounds are heard throughout, until Pulse X finally switches to DSD64, then the popping/buzzing sounds stops; sometimes the popping/buzzing sounds does not stop until I stop playback)

Thankfully, having heard of similar reports on various forums, I tested my Pulse X using my Xiaomi Pistons... and not using my HD800 or on my main system with Bowers & Wilkins 802 Diamond speakers.

I have a Geek Out 450, and on the same Windows PC with Foobar2000, I do not get such prolonged and loud popping/buzzing sounds with switching sample rates. On my Geek Out 450, I get a single pop/click sound when switching sample rates, or a double pop/click sound when playing DoP (first pop/click for switching to 176kHz momentarily and then second pop/click on switching to DSD64)

My Pulse X is on the latest firmwares: MCU is 2.6, Main is 2.0, Light Harmonic Control Panel shows v1.5

~Leon

I know Manny you read head-fi so it looks like you guys still don't test things properly even though many people have begged/pleaded on LH's own forums to test these things before shipping them out.  At this point, the Pulse still sounds like it's a hazard to headphones/speakers etc.  After all this time, I'm seriously concerned about this thing.  I'm actually surprised that headphone.guru has no issues with his infinity which is the last bit of hope I have left on this thing.  

May 13, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #7,248 of 13,800

Not that it should make any difference, but is your unit a plain Pulse X (no "upgrades" like femto, opamps, resitors, infiinity, etc.)? Just curious.

Yes plain X (ordered from Nov/Dec 2013)

Update: My pulse X has now "progressed" to spontaneously dropping USB connection (Windows 7 notification will say a USB device has malfunctioned). If I managed to get it to play, the unit will also now spontaneously start popping and buzzing while playing and even when I stop playing music, all without changing sample rates. Also, whenever the popping and buzzing happens (whether spontanously or upon a sample rate change, you can always see the display flicker (popping/buzzing is always accompanied with a flickering display, if no popping/buzzing the display will be steady).

All these symptoms had been reported by other Pulse (standard and Xfi) owners before. Now waiting for LHL to respond to my ticket and set this right. I am done testing the unit, not even wanting to damage my Xiaomi Piston anymore, let alone my other headphones/iems/speaker

~Leon

May 13, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #7,249 of 13,800
My offer to LH still stands. Take away 20 cents on every dollar I've spent and just give me back the 80 cents. I dread the hassle of having to send them back from Singapore for warranty issues as I am almost sure I'll need to.

May 13, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #7,251 of 13,800
Hoping for LH to facilitate that due to warranty issues etc. I live on the other side of the world.

May 13, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #7,252 of 13,800

Nope I have the 9018A2QM. All of the Infinities do. The case does not matter.

I am very pleased. I will be interested to hear the difference the LPS4 makes when it arrives.

When did you back your pulse infinity with 9018A2QM with the old case? I backed the exact same configuration as you on October 31, 2013. I have still yet to here anything.

A couple of months ago they had a questionaire on the LH Labs site to confirm all perks and it included a choice of old or new case design. I went with the old design because of space requirements on my desktop and to match the LPS4 on order. Apparently, they had some old cases in stock so my choices led to an earlier delivery. Luck of the draw from what I understand.

May 13, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #7,253 of 13,800

Well I'll be using Hifiman He-500's so I'm hoping they will be able to drive them adequately which I think they can. Also, does anyone know how much these things weigh? I plan on getting vibrapods for them as I hear that they do have an impact on DACs.

Using speaker taps from your Emotiva to HE-500?
Interested in hearing what you think when compared to the Pulse amp section.

May 13, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #7,255 of 13,800
  Received my Pulse X yesterday, but like others on various forums, there are popping/buzzing sounds when changing sample rates. When the popping/buzzing sounds are heard, the Pulse X display flickers (the flickering display with popping sounds was reported by a certain online personality too). Popping/buzzing sounds are especially prolonged and loud when switching to higher sampling rates (e.g. when Pulse X switches to 176kHz momentarily when playing DoP, before switching to DSD64; while 176kHz is being displayed, sometimes for as long as a few seconds, the popping/buzzing sounds are heard throughout, until Pulse X finally switches to DSD64, then the popping/buzzing sounds stops; sometimes the popping/buzzing sounds does not stop until I stop playback)

Thankfully, having heard of similar reports on various forums, I tested my Pulse X using my Xiaomi Pistons... and not using my HD800 or on my main system with Bowers & Wilkins 802 Diamond speakers.

I have a Geek Out 450, and on the same Windows PC with Foobar2000, I do not get such prolonged and loud popping/buzzing sounds with switching sample rates. On my Geek Out 450, I get a single pop/click sound when switching sample rates, or a double pop/click sound when playing DoP (first pop/click for switching to 176kHz momentarily and then second pop/click on switching to DSD64)

My Pulse X is on the latest firmwares: MCU is 2.6, Main is 2.0, Light Harmonic Control Panel shows v1.5

~Leon

My Sfi was doing that at first but mysteriously stopped yesterday. I was switching quickly between flac and 320 without issue.

Well I'll be using Hifiman He-500's so I'm hoping they will be able to drive them adequately which I think they can. Also, does anyone know how much these things weigh? I plan on getting vibrapods for them as I hear that they do have an impact on DACs.

Most music medium gain is enough for my HE-500. Some of the Pink Floyd albums I put them on high gain, but that is pretty much it. It's light, under 3 pounds IIRC.

Does anyone know if the lhlabs.com/tracking portion of their website is still being used? Will my tracking number show up there when/if new products ship?

Yes

May 13, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #7,256 of 13,800
A couple of months ago they had a questionaire on the LH Labs site to confirm all perks and it included a choice of old or new case design. I went with the old design because of space requirements on my desktop and to match the LPS4 on order. Apparently, they had some old cases in stock so my choices led to an earlier delivery. Luck of the draw from what I understand.

Well i am sure the people who wanted to stick with the old cases all answered the survey and the old cases are exactly the same as the current xfi cases so i have no idea why they chose to make just a couple or what 'in stock' means in this context.

If they did allocate a percentage of existing cases to make infinities then it should have shipped according to order date. Otherwise it is just unfair.

It is unhelpful that they now refuse to tell people where they are in the queue which would go a long way to alleviating any perception of bias but now there is literally no transparency at all in the way they do things.

If you look at the yggdrasil schedule schiit is MUCH more transparent (they say we are in batch manufacturing serial number xxxx to yyyyy). I would have thought thats the sensible way and people would generally be happy. Give us all a serial number and say we are up to manifacturing x.

But as with their ridiculous surveys, rebooted surveys, etc, it doesn't look like their production processes are under control as yet. It will only get worse if they dont get this under control before putting even more products into general production (let alone getting QC under control for so many products!!!)

May 13, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #7,259 of 13,800
My Pulse Sfi, gets warm, but not HOT to the touch with hours of music playback. I was worried about heat dissipation, compared to my Geek Out 1000. The Pulse Sfi, gets (Warm, NOT HOT.) You still need to keep the home furnace on.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 13, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #7,260 of 13,800
  My Pulse Sfi, gets warm, but not HOT to the touch with hours of music playback. I was worried about heat dissipation, compared to my Geek Out 1000. The Pulse Sfi, gets (Warm, NOT HOT.) You still need to keep the home furnace on.
bigsmile_face.gif

Yeah, same here.

Here I am, today finally realizing that balanced cable gets you twice the power with the same amp and that the balanced out on the Xfi is the same output power as the Sfi and I regret not getting a Xfi, you know, just in case :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back