Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
May 11, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #7,231 of 13,800
Probably fairly soon. They shipped the field beta test units some weeks ago now and as far as I know, nobody outside of LH Labs has heard of any problems with them. Heck, I think that we have only heard of two of them and only one has given any significant reports.

J.P.

May 11, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #7,232 of 13,800
To be fair to LHL, they seem to now be responding within 1 or 2 days to support tickets.

I wish the production schedule would be updated more frequently though! It hasn't moved from 5% since April 27 and is rather frustrating given that they don't tell you anymore where you are in the queue.

The Infinity should sound amazing when we do get them though! Here's hoping the wait will not be in vain and they ship everything out within the next few months ...

May 11, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #7,233 of 13,800
To be fair to LHL, they seem to now be responding within 1 or 2 days to support tickets.

I wish the production schedule would be updated more frequently though! It hasn't moved from 5% since April 27 and is rather frustrating given that they don't tell you anymore where you are in the queue.

The Infinity should sound amazing when we do get them though! Here's hoping the wait will not be in vain and they ship everything out within the next few months ...

I am in the same boat waiting for infinity. @nudd, are you going for the smaller or the bigger chasis? I like the new one slightly more but it is huge for desks

May 11, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #7,234 of 13,800
I am in the same boat waiting for infinity. @nudd, are you going for the smaller or the bigger chasis? I like the new one slightly more but it is huge for desks

I went for the old chassis. I felt the size of the new chassis was just waaaay to big for a desktop rig and I simply cannot afford the space.

Unfortunately this means I give up the possibility of user upgradeable displays. This should be OK as long as the firm upgrades don't include stuff that require the display to be updated (eg, extra filter modes or extra options that just won't turn up because the display cannot be updated) ...

May 12, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #7,237 of 13,800
For all those wondering the new ESS chip on the infinity is only for those people who paid the $22 upgrade.

I have been told parts have been ordered so i expect the assembly numbers will start going up soon. Otherwise how is it possible that all will be shipped by end of June?

May 12, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #7,239 of 13,800

I received my Pusle Sfi two weeks ago. The sound from the headphone jack was great from the start. The music from the Pulse Sfi, with my stereo system was rough, especially DSD. The sound will smooth out, with burn in, time. The Sfi, is now one of the best DAC's I've ever listened to.

May 12, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #7,240 of 13,800
I received my Pusle Sfi two weeks ago. The sound from the headphone jack was great from the start. The music from the Pulse Sfi, with my stereo system was rough, especially DSD. The sound will smooth out, with burn in, time. The Sfi, is now one of the best DAC's I've ever listened to.

May I know that DAC that you own or compare with ? at least we have a benchmark :)

May 12, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #7,242 of 13,800

Have you tried it with any headphones? 

May 12, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #7,243 of 13,800
Received my Pulse X yesterday, but like others on various forums, there are popping/buzzing sounds when changing sample rates. When the popping/buzzing sounds are heard, the Pulse X display flickers (the flickering display with popping sounds was reported by a certain online personality too). Popping/buzzing sounds are especially prolonged and loud when switching to higher sampling rates (e.g. when Pulse X switches to 176kHz momentarily when playing DoP, before switching to DSD64; while 176kHz is being displayed, sometimes for as long as a few seconds, the popping/buzzing sounds are heard throughout, until Pulse X finally switches to DSD64, then the popping/buzzing sounds stops; sometimes the popping/buzzing sounds does not stop until I stop playback)

Thankfully, having heard of similar reports on various forums, I tested my Pulse X using my Xiaomi Pistons... and not using my HD800 or on my main system with Bowers & Wilkins 802 Diamond speakers.

I have a Geek Out 450, and on the same Windows PC with Foobar2000, I do not get such prolonged and loud popping/buzzing sounds with switching sample rates. On my Geek Out 450, I get a single pop/click sound when switching sample rates, or a double pop/click sound when playing DoP (first pop/click for switching to 176kHz momentarily and then second pop/click on switching to DSD64)

My Pulse X is on the latest firmwares: MCU is 2.6, Main is 2.0, Light Harmonic Control Panel shows v1.5

~Leon

May 12, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #7,244 of 13,800
I am currently listening to Sennheiser 650's, High Gain setting, and the Pulse Sfi easily drives these headphones. I listen to Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime, Mediun Gain, sounds best to me. I also tried Fostex TH600, Low Gain setting, and these have the best BASE of the headphones I own.

May 12, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #7,245 of 13,800
  I am currently listening to Sennheiser 650's, High Gain setting, and the Pulse Sfi easily drives these headphones. I listen to Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime, Mediun Gain, sounds best to me. I also tried Fostex TH600, Low Gain setting, and these have the best BASE of the headphones I own.

Well I'll be using Hifiman He-500's so I'm hoping they will be able to drive them adequately which I think they can. Also, does anyone know how much these things weigh? I plan on getting vibrapods for them as I hear that they do have an impact on DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back