Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Mar 6, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #6,256 of 13,800
  Are the Pulse XFI's that are now shipping ready to play or do they need updated firmware?  My LPS has arrived and I'm patiently awaiting the XFI.   

i plugged mine in, installed drivers, and it hasn't missed a beat

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #6,257 of 13,800
Well, in all fairness, the Dec 2013 purchase was probably one of the latest batches so you might be one of the last few getting the Pulse Xfi.

Regarding to what happen on the forum a few times, I originally wrote something down a number of times but just couldn’t bring myself to push the send button.

The people that feels upset will still remain upset, those that supports the company will still support them and really nothing much will be changed.

But anyway, I own a PS Audio Quinte…. So technically it is possible for me to set up a low voltage trigger system to ensure my geek pulse does not turn on unless I intended it to after a black out….

Anyone know where I can get a prefabricated 12V DC push button trigger with 1/8” output?

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #6,258 of 13,800

I've found myself coming back to your posting numerous times today, for a variety of reasons.  Primarly because I've been searching for the words to truly show my appreciation and utmost thanks for your kind comments that you've made in this post.  

I speak for all of us at LH, when I say that we were very touched and incredibly thankful for your appreciation of not only our products but also our presence here in the forums.  It's often a thankless job, with countless hours spent in the office away from family and friends and it's comments like this that make it all worth it in the end.  

Again, thank you so much.  

Hello Casey,
                  You are more then welcome and what's more deserving for all you and your friends at LH Labs have and are doing to build such wonderful products and to help us customers with any problems that are bound to arise in an environment such as yours. Please pass on my thanks for your kind comments to all those folks you work with and let them know I am truthfully enjoying the fruits of their labors.

Sincerely Yours
Mark           

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #6,259 of 13,800
Yup, same here actually. I sent an e-mail with information about my LPS4's return/exchange (yes I had to pay for the shipping there), and Stephanie replied back within the hour to let the shipping department know that they're expecting a package, which I didn't expect at all.

miceblue, I hope you get an LPS4 with with a ground lift switch added to its USB port. I believe Larry mentioned it would be a good addition. Then we could put to bed where the hum is originating. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #6,260 of 13,800
Less than 3 hours until the Pulse/LPS move off of IGG! 

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #6,261 of 13,800
I had a minor comment / question about my LPS4 so raised a ticket yesterday. Handled in under two hours. Can't speak for anyone else's experience, but that's excellent turnaround.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #6,263 of 13,800
My Pulse contribution date is December 23, 2013. I have not heard a single word from LH about this and their tracking pages and systems all show bad data so far as I can tell. At least the survey showing that I want them to ship my stuff ASAP is accurate.

As best I can tell, they are still shipping October 2013 XFi backers right now. I'm in december as well so I guess I'll be waiting a few weeks/months yet.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #6,264 of 13,800
I'm so jealous, my problem is admittedly more complex than yours must be, but I have been working on it for over a month, can't seem to get it taken care of. (and the time to actually get a HUMAN response, not the automated one, has often been 5-7 days, part of why things are not settled in a month).
I put one in last night, trying to straighten out incorrect information they have on my perks, I have pledges in Paypal not in Indiegogo or their records, can't get it straightened out, and my last night ticket, on the last day I'm supposed to be able to do anything with the Vi has yet to get a response.

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #6,265 of 13,800
Why did you have to pay for shipping back to LH ?

I dunno, but that seems to be the norm nowadays for any RMA-like thing. I had to do it for Shure, Sennheiser, V-MODA too.

miceblue, I hope you get an LPS4 with with a ground lift switch added to its USB port. I believe Larry mentioned it would be a good addition. Then we could put to bed where the hum is originating. 

Thanks, yeah hopefully things will get solved this time around.

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #6,269 of 13,800

this is a very good question.  Thanks for asking for more info.

I'm an app coder, not a firmware coder.  While I do write the language that we use in the firmware, audio is so nuanced that I'm really not qualified to write the firmware.  We have two firmware coders at the company, one of which is Larry.  So maybe he can chime in later.  Having said that...

As I understand it, the reason there's no product check is because the device that is actually getting flashed is the USB controller.  Geek Pulse and Geek Out share the same controller.  This chip doesn't know what device it's installed into.  The reason they share the same controller is because it's the only controller available that can handle the load we give it.

Gavin thanks for taking the time for answering some (but not all) of the questions I had. I await the balance of the answers. I admit I have sometime let the attitude of your customer support and other people get to the better of me.

Timing of Pulse Chip testing results

OK. I understand this stuff takes time. The problem is that the perk you are making available is available for less than the time it takes to obtain the necessary information to decide whether or not to back the perk.

I believe I am now out of time to back the perk so that's that. In the mean time, it seems you have the gerber but it will take at least 2 more weeks to get results.

It is still annoying though that you tout all these things without having done the testing and now I am stuck waiting for the new case which I never asked for. Would you consider shipping my infinity in the old case since I have not backed the ESS Chip perk and you will still need to use an old board to ship my infinity? Will it make time to ship faster, especially since you say in your post that the "vast majority" of people have chosen to back the 2015 chip perk?

Firmware

In relation to the above explanation (and I admit I only did software programming to a very basic degree and never professionally), it seems very unlikely to me that you can interrogate the driver and can get back a result of "Geek Out HD Audio 1v5" or similar and yet you cannot do that for your dfu update program. Can you not simply write a wrapper that recycles the code that you already have for the control panel app and do a check before passing on the reference to the file to your dfu update program?

Even if you cannot change the dfu update program, you should be able to write a script that asks the user for the file he is intending to update, check whatever means you used to get "Geek Out HD Audio 1v5" on your own control panel software and then pass the file on to your dfu updater.

If I go to window's control panel, I can clearly see that under the LHLabs USB 2.0 devices tab, my geek out is identified as LH Labs Geek Out. How do you not know what device is being attached at the time?

The reason I say this is that blaming avoidable failures on end user error is very bad programming practice so I am really puzzled about this. Not being responsible for things going wrong in the middle of a flash is normal, but not checking or doing everything you can to make sure you have the right device before proceeding is really strange.

Anyway, I hope Larry comes back on this because I don't think your answer was satisfactory given you do not have the full picture or technical competence on firmware writing.

Transferable warranties

I think you should understand that one of the things that garnered LH Labs such good initial euphoric good will (including from myself) was the apparent willingness of LHL to do the right thing for its backers. We may be getting a discount on a future product but we also need to factor in uncertainty of delivery and uncertainty of specs which should certainly be discounted against the retail price.

Uncertainty of policies, I don't think any of us counted on.

Larry as a principal of the company specifically assured everyone that warranties are transferable. It is irrelevant what other people are doing in the market. You were marketing yourselves as a disruptive force that would upset the status quo. People jumped on the bandwagon in part based on this goodwill generated.

I have to say it is very disappointing to see you change your mind, then offer up this $79 option for only a few hours (most of time of which I was still asleep) and then claim this was not wanted. This smacks of the supermarket trick where they claim that some loss leader product is available on sale for 70% or 80% off but only have 10 in stock and telling everyone who comes to the shop to buy it that it is sold out.

Let's just say that this schizophrenic behaviour leaves a very sour taste and I no longer believe I can have the same feeling of trust that LHL would do the right thing as I had before.

Maybe it was misplaced in the first place. Lessons learnt. Suffice to say I am taking up Casey's invitation to no longer be involved in future LHL crowdfunding activities (although I remain interested and involved in the perks I have actually backed to date, of course).

In any case, this transferable warranty was offered up as something that was initially free and offering it up as a perk is not quite the same thing.

(Off topic, but we seem to be ignored at the Wave thread)

I note I am still waiting to hear on the outstanding question about the sensitivity of the Verb, and the output gain of the wave on low gain with the IEM perk and the high gain with the IEM perk. This was asked on the Wave thread but really nobody bothers to tell us these things. Which is again disappointing. If the answer is that you don't know yet, then can you comment on the chances of getting a shipped product on time for the Wave.

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #6,270 of 13,800
  Firmware

In relation to the above explanation (and I admit I only did software programming to a very basic degree and never professionally), it seems very unlikely to me that you can interrogate the driver and can get back a result of "Geek Out HD Audio 1v5" or similar and yet you cannot do that for your dfu update program. Can you not simply write a wrapper that recycles the code that you already have for the control panel app and do a check before passing on the reference to the file to your dfu update program?

Hi nudd,

Yup, I had the same thought as you. I was hoping to hear from Larry since he would be more of the expert in this area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back