Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Mar 5, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #6,241 of 13,800
  Received shipping notification tonight for my XFI.  I've been very pleased so far with my vanilla Pulse (other than the issue with the Pulse occasionally becoming unresponsive to knob adjustments necessitating a reboot) - can't wait to find out how much better it is with the XFI.

Very exciting! Would love to see a comparison review of the two once you get a chance. Cheers and enjoy

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #6,242 of 13,800
  Hi everyone I am new to the world of Head-Fi so please bear with me as I talk about my newest product my Geek Pulse. I was worried about buying such a new product at a price that for me was a lot of money and if it turned out to be a piece of crap I could not afford to replace it. However I went ahead because the product had all the features I wanted at a price point I could afford so I went ahead and purchased it.

I could not be happier with the product. My Pulse has a sound that is incredible for the price I payed and while I am no expert I hear thing in the music I have never heard before. There is no noise and I mean no audible noise and I am running the headphone amp at 90% or more of it's output specs. The DAC allows separation and a sound stage like I have never heard before. Highs are detailed without harshness, mids are clear and concise, Lows are deep and wonderful with out missing the smallest detail. I am enjoying the hell out of this DAC/AMP my only issue of any kind is as follows:

The volume knob has to have a lot of turns to get to my listen level and then back to a place where you might want to leave it when no one is using it. The increments are very small and the knob is small as well. A larger knob would most likely make this better just a suggestion.

I guess I would like to see the transferable warranty for reasons that will become evident in just a short time.

I have been reading this forum for the last few days and I heard a lot of criticism. Of the product and the company well as I have had no dealing with the company all I can say is how many of these high end audio company presidents and head designers get on these forums and try to answer question posed by their customers. I bet there are almost none if not none then very few. Here you guys are getting responses directly from the president on customer service issues and getting to talk to the head designer and influence the end product with you input. I would like to thank both of them for taking time out of what I am sure is a busy schedule to hear us the end user. Thank you Gavin and Larry!

The review from youtube let it go and test the new product. As a customer I want to hear about the working product how it sound in relation to other products and what your thoughts are about it in a fair manner. Companies are filled with humans and as a result produce X amount of defective products it does not matter how big or small they are or how high end they are. In startup companies numbers of these products are always a little higher that is life. Please try your replacement and give us a review of the product performance no ticket numbers included please.

I am pleased with my decision to purchase my Geek Pulse and the product sounds so dang good that I am not ashamed to admit that I am the second owner of this product. The first owner is also a member here.

Just My Two Cents!

I've found myself coming back to your posting numerous times today, for a variety of reasons.  Primarly because I've been searching for the words to truly show my appreciation and utmost thanks for your kind comments that you've made in this post.  

I speak for all of us at LH, when I say that we were very touched and incredibly thankful for your appreciation of not only our products but also our presence here in the forums.  It's often a thankless job, with countless hours spent in the office away from family and friends and it's comments like this that make it all worth it in the end.  

Again, thank you so much.  

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #6,243 of 13,800
Just a general comment from one follower of, and infrequent contributor to, this thread. I’ve had a few quibbles with LH Labs, 1) missing cables in first shipment, 2) not receiving my HiFiMan HE-560 yet, 3) my Pulse Infinity not updated on my order list. Still waiting on 2), but the others were promptly resolved. Their ticket system has worked okay for me. 

Standing back and looking at it, this sort of all-in design/fund venture has never been done before in audio-land AFAIK. To me, it’s exciting because the end point isn’t quite known for most of the journey. But I could’t be happier with my GO 1000; and I expect my Pulse Infinity will be pretty amazing when it comes. 

The continual sounding off by a few doesn’t spoil it for me. 

PS - remaining HE-560 orders will be shipped soon after last batch arrives at LHL by Monday, Manny told me. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #6,244 of 13,800
Just dropping in to say that LHL (Stephanie) replied to my new ticket within half a day of me posting it in the Support page. It doesn't actually reply to my queries, but was more to give a confirmation that my request to have my ticket specifically handled by Manny (whom handled the old ticket which my current bout of questions are a continuation from) was noted and underway.

I'm pretty pleased by this since it's the speediest and most direct response I've gotten from a ticket so far, and yet another indicator that steps are truly in place to improve the channel of communication between LHL and its backers.

I also spent some time browsing through the Geek Force forums. Its actually quite a messy forum to navigate through, but there's definitely a chunk more information that can be found there which might otherwise be missing if one only prowls through the Head-fi Pulse/Wave threads. I won't have time to make daily visits to the Geek forums (Head-fi is time sapping as it is), but I'll be sure to check it more regularly than I currently am, should any more queries pop up in the future.

From those who are a little disenchanted because of confusion/lack of information, consider taking some time to head over there and you just might find the answer you're looking for. You'll need some patience, and you will not find all the answers you seek since there's still a fair bit of information deficit (naturally given the sheer volume of perks and e.t.c), but hopefully you'll find it at least somewhat beneficial as I did.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #6,245 of 13,800
Yup, same here actually. I sent an e-mail with information about my LPS4's return/exchange (yes I had to pay for the shipping there), and Stephanie replied back within the hour to let the shipping department know that they're expecting a package, which I didn't expect at all.

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #6,247 of 13,800
I honestly can't figure out why people got so worked up about the transferrable warranty. Do many other audio DAC/amp/cable companies offer such a thing, because until this thread, I had no idea such a thing was possible? >.>

What if you buy it as a gift for someone? To say that the warranty is void just because the person who owns the Pulse is not the person who paid for it seems a little over the edge. At the very least, there should be a warranty card that requires you to fill it in to activate it. Then you can give it as a gift or if you want to get off the Geek Express and sell your pre order,  you can do so. This seems eminently reasonable to me.

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #6,248 of 13,800
actually, the warranty thing was the issue that kinda got my panties in a wad as they say,
and it wasn't that it wouldn't transfer, that's the norm. 
it was the seemingly, yes, no, it is now, now its not , that got to me, and that i got so irritated is really my doing, it really not a big deal
i overreacted 
@chartwell85 , i say here in front of everyone, i think you(lhlabs) are doing a admirable job, perfect nope, but when you are trying to please all of us highly demanding, picky
self important audio nerd types at all the same time, man, that's a near impossible job,  "Illegitimi non carborundum"  and it seems y'all do a good job at that too
thanks for my pulse x/f/i
and for you guys waiting for your's, i think you'll be happy , just be a little more patient, the goodness is coming

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #6,249 of 13,800
In respect of the flack that lhlabs team is getting I can draw some parallels from when I first backed geekout 1000 and it arrived without the sticker and serial number below but I went ahead to enjoy the music till now.

The shipping system has improved compared to my 2nd shipment I received whine was geekout IEM that mysteriously arrived without warning.

Albeit going into my spam mail when my LPS finally appeared and checking that there was an alert email. Geek iem wrong alerts and shipment prepared which after informing was assured that geek iem balanced should be the right ones coming.

Geek pulse shipping to me when it's geek pulse infinite although the response over the weekend wasn't immediate they did come back to me after my second ticket, however the shipping for some reason via usps cannot be recalled even without Americas shores but did advice to reject the shipment and lhlabs would pay for shipping back.

All in all its not perfect yet but I also feel that it's getting better over time and there is feedback and problem acknowledged. Most importantly for international backers it can be a real hassle in returns and especially if custom taxes are involved it can be really crazy later on for the other bigger ticket and bigger sized items pending delivery.

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #6,250 of 13,800
That is why now I hardly post.

Just do other things...it will come.

actually, the warranty thing was the issue that kinda got my panties in a wad as they say,
and it wasn't that it wouldn't transfer, that's the norm. 
it was the seemingly, yes, no, it is now, now its not , that got to me, and that i got so irritated is really my doing, it really not a big deal
i overreacted 
@chartwell85 , i say here in front of everyone, i think you(lhlabs) are doing a admirable job, perfect nope, but when you are trying to please all of us highly demanding, picky
self important audio nerd types at all the same time, man, that's a near impossible job,  "Illegitimi non carborundum"  and it seems y'all do a good job at that too
thanks for my pulse x/f/i
and for you guys waiting for your's, i think you'll be happy , just be a little more patient, the goodness is coming

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #6,251 of 13,800
  That is why now I hardly post.

Just do other things...it will come.

i hate when i catch myself ranting, even more so when i rant on someone ranting ! lol

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #6,252 of 13,800
Ha ha ha...just enjoy more music...

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #6,253 of 13,800
I'm probably not the first to notice that this thread is 95 % about LH Labs and 5 % about the Geek Pulse. Perhaps the actual product will eventually deserve its own thread, once it gets out in sufficient numbers - Geek Pulse Impressions or something like that.

I've backed the basic Pulse version. Still waiting somewhat patiently. Actually, I'm looking forward to it. A Sabre DAC leaning toward warmth and musicality, a bit like the D18, should be a nice product in the end. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #6,255 of 13,800
It was sobering to look at IGG and realize that I have spent more on the original wave, stream, and wave reboot than on the Pulse Xfi. At least I realize I am a sucker and stopped myself from doing the 'zOMG Last chance Infinity upgrade expires today' perk as a result.

My Pulse contribution date is December 23, 2013. I have not heard a single word from LH about this and their tracking pages and systems all show bad data so far as I can tell. At least the survey showing that I want them to ship my stuff ASAP is accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back