Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 11, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #587 of 13,800

Absolutely nothing.

Musical reference aside, an LPS gives consistently regulated power to the device. No audible changes in the sound as it always gets 12V. Cleaner power = cleaner sound.

If there's no audible change with or without LPS, whats the interest of having one? Does it "save" the device for longer time? Don't get it

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #590 of 13,800
LPS is selling like mad. The Femto clock upgrade (.082ps) campaign is gathering momentum too.
(If you want the upgrade to happen, express it: http://www.lhlabs.com/force/geekpulse/403-the-last-big-request-crystek-clock?limitstart=0&start=66)

This mean a lot of people cares for good sound. Very good sound. Hey at this price point? 

Geek + Pulse X Upgrade + LPS + Femto Clock Upgrade
All less than 800 is never been sweeter.  

Can wait on their shootout with $2K - $5K DACs with this baby.

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #591 of 13,800
It’s $40 for each piece because our plan is to ship them all separately.

As Gavin said...I thought with the perk Geek Out + Geek Pulse bundle ( and plus Pulse X Upgrade ), it will be sent in one package and only cost 40$, no more ?

Sorry because English is not my native language and I didn't quite catch that...

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #592 of 13,800
So many optional upgrades now..  Which upgrade do you guys think gives the biggest improvement?  pulse X, LPS or clocks?

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #593 of 13,800
  So many optional upgrades now..  Which upgrade do you guys think gives the biggest improvement?  pulse X, LPS or clocks?

1) The LPS should give the biggest upgrade in sound. Another advantage is that you can use it with other DACS, amps etc
2) THe Pulse X upgrade would improve the sound, perhaps not as much as the LPS. It definitely will smoothen the treble and provide a blacker background (less harshness, noise etc)
3) The clocks will help. But it's not really needed. Some people may not be able to make out the difference.

Hope this helps.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #594 of 13,800

It is hard to say since we don't really know how well the Pulse performs without the upgrades.   I'd say the clocks would offer the least amount of noticeable difference since the Pulse is already supposed to be using good clocks.  The LPS could make a large difference if they cheap out on the Pulse's power filtering to justify the upgrades.  If they have good filtering, the differences will be much more subtle.  Going balanced is an easy recommend if you have balanced headphones, but again, will be subtle.

It is still contested as to how much all of the measureable improvements that each bring are actually audible.

If you want a great value DAC/amp, then don't upgrade.  If you want something that will be on par with products in the $1000-1500 range, then max out your Pulse.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #595 of 13,800
  If there's no audible change with or without LPS, whats the interest of having one? Does it "save" the device for longer time? Don't get it

It seems I chose my words poorly. Sorry for the confusion. I meant to explain that standard AC power causes a change in the sound. It's considered dirty power by many. Since you get DC out of the LPS then it's constantly regulated, clean power. An LPS doesn't change the sound, it prevents it from changing in the first place. So what you get when you use an LPS is a better sound. DC is better than AC when sound is involved.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #596 of 13,800

It seems I chose my words poorly. Sorry for the confusion. I meant to explain that standard AC power causes a change in the sound. It's considered dirty power by many. Since you get DC out of the LPS then it's constantly regulated, clean power. An LPS doesn't change the sound, it prevents it from changing in the first place. So what you get when you use an LPS is a better sound. DC is better than AC when sound is involved.

I don't understand the reasoning why people are going nuts to spend more on a LPS than the DAC itself.

You can get 8 outlet power conditioners that filter dirty AC for as low as $65. It won't be as pure as 12V DC, but you'll be hard pressed to notice the difference, especially a $300+ one. Output won't be limited to 12V or USB either.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #597 of 13,800
This thing has gone beyond cool.  Makes you wonder what else we could get going for product?  Some killer planar headphones?  A dedicated DAC?

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #598 of 13,800
  I don't understand the reasoning people are going nuts to spend more on a LPS than the DAC itself.

You can get 8 outlet power conditioners that filter dirty AC for as low as $65. It won't be as pure as 12V DC, but you'll be hard pressed to notice the difference, especially a $300+ one. Output won't be limited to 12V or USB either.

I think some people are confused as to what the power supply does.  I am far from the ideal person to explain it, but I will give it a shot based on what I learned when I built a couple.

Power conditioners can filter out some noise on the AC lines, but the powers supply must still covert AC to DC that is usable by your amp.  This is where the quality of the power supply comes in.  In general for audio, you want as stable and as quiet a DC feed as you can get.  Switch mode power supplies, by their very nature, generate noise that gets passed on to the amp.  Good filtering (like what I hope the Pulse will have) can reduce the impact of this noise, but it can't get rid of it entirely.  A linear power supply has the ability to deliver quieter power with less noise and fewer fluctuations.  The better supplies have less measurable noise and tighter regulation on the voltage.  What this means is that your amp has ideal power conditions to operate within.  Constant power available for large dynamic swings, a quieter background, and sometimes better bass are the main benefits I have heard.  

The main point of contention is at what point the measurable improvements are actually audible.  Different power grids, different equipment, different ears, different wallets all play into whether or not something is worth it for people.  

BTW, the 12VDC is the operating voltage of the Pulse.  There is no option there.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #599 of 13,800
  I don't understand the reasoning why people are going nuts to spend more on a LPS than the DAC itself.

I have a stage 2 power conditioner for my cinema setup. Retail price was $300 6 years ago. You can pick it up for about $100 now. I will agree that it does make a noticeable difference. So I can understand why someone would pay $300 for an LPS. At a certain point people come to want the best and they're willing to pay more for it. With a high enough end system the differences are obvious. I have multiple sound systems, one nice and two cheap. The cheap units make no difference on the conditioner vs straight power. However my DefTech Pro 1000 system gives me a better sound when conditioned, and they're not what I would call high end speakers. So while it may not be worth it to you, it's apparently worth it to others enough to be paired with over 250 Geeks.

Edit: Apparently it was $300 when new.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #600 of 13,800
  The main point of contention is at what point the measurable improvements are actually audible.  Different power grids, different equipment, different ears, different wallets all play into whether or not something is worth it for people.  

Exactly. The value isn't there for what would be a very small improvement for me. It is nice to have the option available though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back