Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 9, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #557 of 13,800
just went  "X", and LPS

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #560 of 13,800
Actually, if we cheap out like some others, $80 could be done. But it will bring no improvement. 
So again ,quality first. Check the details in content, you will know the difference.

The high quality transformer itself will cost us (and you) at least $30. Capacitor will be $2 each if not more.... add everything up,
you will know... :wink:

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #561 of 13,800
Actually, if we cheap out like some others, $80 could be done. But it will bring no improvement. 
So again ,quality first. Check the details in content, you will know the difference.

The high quality transformer itself will cost us (and you) at least $30. Capacitor will be $2 each if not more.... add everything up,

Larry, it may only be me, but I'm having a hard time picturing the LPS. Do you have a drawing or something you could share?

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #562 of 13,800

They are usually not too exciting visually. Hopefully it will come in the same chassis as the Pulse so they are identical size.
3-prong plug in the back. On switch and USB 5V output for the front. They always look understated and refer design aspects to the DAC.

A stack is usually bad for sound quality here, so considerations for a side-by-side arrangement are always welcome.

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #563 of 13,800
... and there it is... $500k... digital output achieved.

Hey Larry, are you guys going to update the specs on the IGG site to reflect the addition of the 1/4" jack on the Pulse X?

And can someone confirm that simple adapters for the analog output on the Pulse X will give me RCA out so I can use the unit as a simple DAC with a separate amp?

Thanks!

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #564 of 13,800
They are usually not too exciting visually. Hopefully it will come in the same chassis as the Pulse so they are identical size.

3-prong plug in the back. On switch and USB 5V output for the front. They always look understated and refer design aspects to the DAC.

A stack is usually bad for sound quality here, so considerations for a side-by-side arrangement are always welcome.

Thanks Zoo Animal. The LPS early backer deal is now sold out. So I'd still hope Larry replies but I'm definitely out at the regular price!

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #566 of 13,800
  ... and there it is... $500k... digital output achieved.

Hey Larry, are you guys going to update the specs on the IGG site to reflect the addition of the 1/4" jack on the Pulse X?

And can someone confirm that simple adapters for the analog output on the Pulse X will give me RCA out so I can use the unit as a simple DAC with a separate amp?

Thanks!

Larry confirmed with me a while back that an XLR to RCA adapter will work and not harm the DAC.

It will come in the same chassis based on the announcement.  They are using a shielded transformer, and given that they are trying to go for a small footprint system, I would hope that stacking would end up being ok.  Worse come worse, you would need to put them side by side.

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #567 of 13,800
Also, I have faith in Larry and the team.  If he says a normal LPS wouldn't make a difference, then the power filtering is already quite good on the Pulse and is likely good enough for most people who are buying the Pulse (value or space conscious buyers).  I have used LPSs that cost almost as much to have built and while I saw improvements on a DAC/amp combo that I was using it with, I don't know if it made enough of a difference to justify the cost, especially if the LPS costs as much as the unit itself.  I feel like it could be one of those "peace of mind" type purchases for those with the money to make sure they are getting the "best" performance out of their gear.

Again, the LPS is most likely worth the cost as far as quality goes, and for some as far as added performance goes.  But for those worrying about the cost or whether they "need" one, relax and enjoy your gear.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #568 of 13,800

Larry, we need a new stretch goal.
How about remote control? 
eek.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #570 of 13,800
Wow, how fast did the early bird price on the LPS sell out? less than 6 hours? 4 hours?

I was hesitating when reading the email announcement, but without the early bird price I guess that decision is made for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back