Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #601 of 13,800
I'd rather pay the $300 of the LPS to upgrade the Pulse's chassis to a solid chunk of billet aluminum or something :wink:

This is where Hi-Fi shows us where our priorities and beliefs lie.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #602 of 13,800
While in concept the linear power supply makes sense, but how much of a difference does it make upon real [insert sound science only term here] listening tests?

Spending nearly as much money on a power supply as the amp itself makes little sense to me.

As mentioned, we don't even know the performance of the stock Pulse.

I was looking for a small footprint, high value device.  So at roughly $350 for a 3W balanced amp with a high quality Sabre chipset from a company that makes a very good, high end DAC, I am set, regardless of how the other upgrades would impact the performance.  I can appreciate what a good LPS can do, but no way does it fit into my current value system.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #603 of 13,800
According to LH Labs: "Since Geek Pulse isn't USB powered (like Geek Out is), we'll make "Da Vinci magic" again with a quiet and proven super regulator that uses a large bank of capacitors, providing the best power supply in its class."
So if that is really the case I don't see how the LPS would improve anything but maybe LH would care to explain. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #604 of 13,800
  According to LH Labs: "Since Geek Pulse isn't USB powered (like Geek Out is), we'll make "Da Vinci magic" again with a quiet and proven super regulator that uses a large bank of capacitors, providing the best power supply in its class."
So if that is really the case I don't see how the LPS would improve anything but maybe LH would care to explain. 

Zenpunk-  I completely agree,
I passed on LPS for exactly their earlier statement above!

can you add this exact wording, clarification issue to the LH Geek Voice thread please?  would love to see Larry's reply.... there or here.

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #606 of 13,800
Another thing that wasn't mentioned.

Geek LPS will use R core Transformer similar found in their Da Vinci DAC.

Geek LPS will have alla Aqvox/iFi iUSB function.

Plugin your USB source to Geek LPS and will replace it with clean 5V power + Data.

(Now need to add that second Lightspeed Jr. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #607 of 13,800
No need for them to reply. They are simply responding to market demand.

There is a $399 power supply waiting for everyone who also uses $200+ cables on their $700+ headphones, and want the "best". Measurements and blind A/B testing be damned.

I think it would be fair to know more information about something before shelling out $289 that can't be refunded.

As stated, the Pulse itself was advertised to have "clean power" in the fist place.

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #608 of 13,800
I think it would be fair to know more information about something before shelling out $400 that can't be refunded.

As stated, the Pulse itself was advertised to have "clean power" in the fist place.

It should regulate the AC power on its own well enough with a good design, which I have no doubt they will provide.

The LPS is for people who think that isn't enough. It was requested, so they provided. It doesn't mean that it is needed, or if it will even be an audible difference in your setup. It may provide a boost for one person, while offering nothing for another.

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #609 of 13,800
While in concept the linear power supply makes sense, but how much of a difference does it make upon real [insert sound science only term here] listening tests?

Spending nearly as much money on a power supply as the amp itself makes little sense to me.

As mentioned, we don't even know the performance of the stock Pulse.

LPS is a good thing to read about, not just in this case but to know what you're buying/how to upgrade what you've got, further down the road. 
Some Dacs below $2K will have an LPS included, some will stick the wall wart in the chassis to make it look like they have an LPS. Your audio dollars will be better spent if you know which is which and why to care.

Fraggler put it well that at $299 it's a great value piece, as you add the upgrades you will get better audio but further away from the basic value. Also what cans are you going to be listening to this thing through and are they transparent enough to show the differences. I love my HD600s but they would probably fail in the transparency dept as far as some of these upgrades are concerned. 

Here is some things to start reading about if you're interested, maybe not in this case but later

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_power_supply#Linear_regulated_power_supply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(electrical)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_(electronics)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_regulation

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #610 of 13,800
Quite a bit of budget-fi audio can be bumped up to mid-fi by tossing the crappy switching wall wart and feeding the unit a clean robust linear power supply.

Mid-fi dacs should already have a linearpower supply in the chassis or in a separate enclosure. I would not consider running a geek pulse from a wall wart. A good power supply is easy DIY. Even the cheap $25 units from amazon or parts express are noticeably better than a wall wart.

I will be building my own. For me the only reason to buy the LH power supply would be to have a matching enclosure, which is not importantt to me.

It has been my plan to build a LPS for the geek pulse from day one, weeks ago.

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #611 of 13,800
This is showing my ignorance, but when an amp has one of those big copper ring transformers in the case, is that considered a linear power supply?  I actually haven't seen much mentioned about linear power supplies, usually they just say they have class A transformer instead of a walwart.  But i guess most of the stuff I shopped for was cheap

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #612 of 13,800
Quite a bit of budget-fi audio can be bumped up to mid-fi by tossing the crappy switching wall wart and feeding the unit a clean robust linear power supply.

Mid-fi dacs should already have a linearpower supply in the chassis or in a separate enclosure. I would not consider running a geek pulse from a wall wart. A good power supply is easy DIY. Even the cheap $25 units from amazon or parts express are noticeably better than a wall wart.

I will be building my own. For me the only reason to buy the LH power supply would be to have a matching enclosure, which is not importantt to me.

It has been my plan to build a LPS for the geek pulse from day one, weeks ago.

Me too, although I had planned to pick up something like a Keces just to see where the Pulse could be pushed. Glad they offered one, as it ended up being cheaper and possibly better.

This sounds like a good intro DIY project though which is something I've been keeping an eye out for.

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #613 of 13,800
RE R core transformers: theres nothing inherently special or superior about them. You can buy a small one for $30. I have 4-5 in my parts bin.

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #614 of 13,800
The thing I like about having a transformer in the case is that way I can't lose the wall wart.  Which I tend to do a lot

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #615 of 13,800
What is the Geek using for LPF?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back