Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 17, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #4,637 of 13,800

Given the same DAC Chips, it was more about increased top end air and detail. I would relate that to the Vishay's in the W4S vs no Vishay's in the Xfi. Both were excellent. the W4S just went farther in that iteration.

Same family of DAC chips, but not exactly the same chip. Unless I'm mistaken, the W4S DAC2 uses a single ES9018S "Classic SABRE32" series chip whereas the Pulse X uses a pair of ES9018K2M "Mobile SABRE" series chips. 

http://esstech.com/index.php?p=products_DAC

I owned the original DAC2 for quite awhile and it is an excellent performer. Looking forward to hearing what the Pulse X sounds like.

At this level it is as much about implementation of each chip as anything else. Both EJ and Larry know what they are want so I trust their approach using the Sabre chip of their choice.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #4,638 of 13,800
  At this level it is as much about implementation of each chip as anything else. Both EJ and Larry know what they are want so I trust their approach using the Sabre chip of their choice.

I agree completely. Just saying, they are not exactly the same DAC chips as you indicated. Difference may be minimal since they are so closely related, but that is a factor in addition to the implementation as well.  

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #4,639 of 13,800

So, I am afraid my Pulse is malfunctioning.

It started with little pops during play.  Kind of like an LP pop.

But then it started halting altogether.  It can no longer play for more than half an hour without freezing.  (And at 88K, apparently takes only a few minutes.)  When it halts, foobar playback freezes too.  If I stop foobar and play again, I get "Unrecoverable playback error: Could not create ASIO buffers".  I have to reset the Pulse for it to play again.  Also, in this frozen state, when I turn the Pulse down, the pop is loud enough for the protection circuit of my power amp to trigger and shut it down.

I have reinstalled the driver with no effect.  The problem happens the same in ASIO, WSAPI, and DS (except that in DS I don't get the "Unrecoverable playback error: Could not create ASIO buffers" message).  My system works fine with my other DACs.

I don't see how this can be related, but all this started happening when I decided to give the SPDIF input a try.

Any ideas?

[]s
Walfredo

That's quite worrisome.
I'm sure you have already went to LHLabs with this? I hope they or someone else here is able to help you with it.

So, the most strange thing happened.  I opened a ticket.  Manny came back and asked to "select a lower buffer setting" to help diagnose.  I haven't turned it on for a few days.  It just worked!

Very low buffer settings create distortion, of course.  But from 1024 and up, it appears to work fine.  I left is playing overnight and was still going in the morning.  No more freezing followed by "Could not create ASIO buffers"

Any one has an idea of what could have happened? 

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #4,640 of 13,800
So, the most strange thing happened.  I opened a ticket.  Manny came back and asked to "select a lower buffer setting" to help diagnose.  I haven't turned it on for a few days.  It just worked!

Very low buffer settings create distortion, of course.  But from 1024 and up, it appears to work fine.  I left is playing overnight and was still going in the morning.  No more freezing followed by "[COLOR=222222]Could not create ASIO buffers"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Any one has an idea of what could have happened?[/COLOR] 

I usually select minimum latency and 8192 samples.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan05/articles/pcmusician.htm

I think Larry said that if you have minimum latency selected, you should select the highest sample size, so that's what I've been doing and I haven't had any problems (with the Geek Out).

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #4,641 of 13,800

Very low buffer settings create distortion, of course.  But from 1024 and up, it appears to work fine.  I left is playing overnight and was still going in the morning.  No more freezing followed by "Could not create ASIO buffers"

Good to know. What was the buffer size before?

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #4,642 of 13,800
Just got word from Alvin that the power supplies are done and will be shipped today or tomorrow! Just wanted to share.

395557fb97ddb9e81dbc8a4817dd84c0.jpg

3d306175a37d3b8c4ab49b0e6a54ae19.jpg

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #4,643 of 13,800
Awesome!  Now we just need the pulse boxes to arrive at lhlabs so they can start shipping xfis and infinities :)

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #4,644 of 13,800
A couple of things. The first Geek Pulse has shown up for resale on Ebay.
Also I opened a ticket with LH [to pay off my balance] and after about 3 days they responded to which I added additional response(s) the ticket hasn't shown as closed but it has been another 3 days so far so do I need to open another ticket or will they respond to the original ticket until it is closed?. Essentialy the bean counters are telling me I owe an additional $400 ($396 technically) when I know I specifically signed up for a plan that was $99 down and $99x3 and now should have only $300 (tech $297) remaining.

Unfortunately LH did not leave the completed perks up on IGG for recall. No way would I have cancelled an order I already had pending for different gear and switched to Pulse had that extra $100 been there. Hopefully this gets resolved but after all the confusion from LH I see in this thread I am getting worried and trying to decide if they refuse to acknowledge the agreed to price if I just say screw it and eat the $99 I put down and tell them to pound sand or pay the extra $100 and then try to sell the unit for what they charged me as at that point I would have no use for it.  

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #4,645 of 13,800
Also I opened a ticket with LH [to pay off my balance] and after about 3 days they responded to which I added additional response(s) the ticket hasn't shown as closed but it has been another 3 days so far so do I need to open another ticket or will they respond to the original ticket until it is closed?. Essentialy the bean counters are telling me I owe an additional $400 ($396 technically) when I know I specifically signed up for a plan that was $99 down and $99x3 and now should have only $300 (tech $297) remaining.

Unfortunately LH did not leave the completed perks up on IGG for recall. No way would I have cancelled an order I already had pending for different gear and switched to Pulse had that extra $100 been there. Hopefully this gets resolved but after all the confusion from LH I see in this thread I am getting worried and trying to decide if they refuse to acknowledge the agreed to price if I just say screw it and eat the $99 I put down and tell them to pound sand or pay the extra $100 and then try to sell the unit for what they charged me as at that point I would have no use for it.  

You should be able to find all of the perks you opted for on IGG regardless of campaign. Just login, click on your name in the upper right then click "My contributions".  The list that comes up is everything your perked for on all campaigns.  It even has the campaign name on each line item.

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #4,646 of 13,800

You should be able to find all of the perks you opted for on IGG regardless of campaign. Just login, click on your name in the upper right then click "My contributions".  The list that comes up is everything your perked for on all campaigns.  It even has the campaign name on each line item.

All it says is :
Geek Audio: A Crowdsourced High-Rez Sound System$99USDGeek Pulse Payment Plan #3

It doesn't show anything else and if you click on the link it takes you to the current page which has none of the old plans listed.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #4,647 of 13,800

Good to know. What was the buffer size before?

It was 2048.  It now works fine at this setting.  Go figure... :)

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #4,648 of 13,800

I received a response here. http://www.lhlabs.com/force/customer-happiness-post-concerns/3146-geek-pulse-payment-plan-lot-1.
If you went for the first an second lot, then it's $99 downpayment and 3 x $99 additional monthly payments. Lot 3 is with 4 additional monthly payments and lot 4 was $148 downpayment + 3 x $99 additionale payments.

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #4,649 of 13,800
Naive question:  How do I install the new firmware?  I downloaded a bin file.  How do I transfer it to the Pulse?

It is really a shame that the volume bug requires us shipping the Pulse to LHLabs.  If it was just an improvements (as in better filters) that would be fine.  I'd just skip it.  But this is a serious bug.

The thing that baffles is that they have exactly the same bug in the Geek Out.  I'd expected than to have learned and avoid the exact same thing.  I hope they don't repeat in the Wave. :)

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #4,650 of 13,800
  Naive question:  How do I install the new firmware?  I downloaded a bin file.  How do I transfer it to the Pulse?

It is really a shame that the volume bug requires us shipping the Pulse to LHLabs.  If it was just an improvements (as in better filters) that would be fine.  I'd just skip it.  But this is a serious bug.

The thing that baffles is that they have exactly the same bug in the Geek Out.  I'd expected than to have learned and avoid the exact same thing.  I hope they don't repeat in the Wave. :)

Here's a video showing you how to do it. The video was produced for the Geek Out but the process for the Pulse is the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeLfQclI-oU

You don't need to send the unit back to LHL for the volume issue. This firmware takes care of that. It's only the display issue you would need to send the unit back to LHL to have them update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back