Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 16, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #4,621 of 13,800
  When I upgraded my Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse to the Femto clocks it was very noticeable. I cannot imaging anyone regretting the Femto additions.

The DSDse also has the addition of Naked Resistors!

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #4,622 of 13,800
If you
But is it the femto clock that's responsible for that particular sound difference, or is it the whole package? ; )
As far as I can tell, no one has actually compared solely a femto to non-femto Geek device before, so the conclusion that the femto clock makes a big difference in sound isn't exactly accurate.
if you use USB, femto is of no use . Only coaxial needs femto? Correct ?

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #4,623 of 13,800
I knew the non firmware upgradeable display was going to bite LH in the butt.  They should have done more extensive beta testing :frowning2:  I guess with all the anger over delays they had to make a hard choice on who to please.  On the other hand, I can't wait to receive my quiet naked geek
snip3r77 he's talking about the geek out which only has usb.  but if you're talking about the pulse, only the usb uses the built in clock, coax and toslink use the clock from the source device.. I think.  

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #4,625 of 13,800
if you use USB, femto is of no use . Only coaxial needs femto? Correct ?

Quite the opposite really.
For USB, the master clock is the DAC. (hence benefiting from femto in the Pulse)
For SPDIF, AES/EBU and TOSLINK, the master clock is the source. (hence it will not benefit much from femto in the Pulse, rather in the source)

Here is a relevant post by Larry:
http://www.lhlabs.com/force/geek-source/1576-upcoming-femto-clock-for-geek-source-perk.html#24727

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #4,626 of 13,800
Hey take it easy on Natalie Portman, she's not a Professional and doesn't deserve this kind of Heat

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #4,627 of 13,800
For USB, the master clock is the DAC. (hence benefiting from femto in the Pulse)
For SPDIF, AES/EBU and TOSLINK, the master clock is the source. (hence it will not benefit much from femto in the Pulse, rather in the source)

http://www.lhlabs.com/force/geek-source/1576-upcoming-femto-clock-for-geek-source-perk.html#24727

Thanks I read that comment by Larry too.

If all things being equal, in theory USB or coaxial will yield better result.

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #4,628 of 13,800

This quote of Larry's is in reference to the Geek Source. I seem to recall it was determined elsewhere that the femto in the Pulse was used for all inputs. I'll try and dig up the original post.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #4,629 of 13,800
Jan 17, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #4,631 of 13,800

Yes it does. It has a bunch of them! Vishay al the way!

How does it sound compared to the Pulse Xfi + LPS review unit? Which one do you prefer? Thx

Pure DAC vs DAC/Amp so what I can say is that They were similar in extracting detail. I had the Xfi unit so I had the Femto's in both. I did prefer my W4S but I attribute that somewhat to familiarity and that it did have the Vishay's in place already. It was more precise.

I am really interested to compare the infinity once it arrives!

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #4,632 of 13,800
  Pure DAC vs DAC/Amp so what I can say is that They were similar in extracting detail. I had the Xfi unit so I had the Femto's in both. I did prefer my W4S but I attribute that somewhat to familiarity and that it did have the Vishay's in place already. It was more precise.

Nice input!  In what way did you prefer the W4S?  What's the difference in sound signature?

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #4,633 of 13,800

Nice input!  In what way did you prefer the W4S?  What's the difference in sound signature?

Given the same DAC Chips, it was more about increased top end air and detail. I would relate that to the Vishay's in the W4S vs no Vishay's in the Xfi. Both were excellent. the W4S just went farther in that iteration.

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #4,635 of 13,800
  Given the same DAC Chips, it was more about increased top end air and detail. I would relate that to the Vishay's in the W4S vs no Vishay's in the Xfi. Both were excellent. the W4S just went farther in that iteration.

Same family of DAC chips, but not exactly the same chip. Unless I'm mistaken, the W4S DAC2 uses a single ES9018S "Classic SABRE32" series chip whereas the Pulse X uses a pair of ES9018K2M "Mobile SABRE" series chips. 

http://esstech.com/index.php?p=products_DAC

I owned the original DAC2 for quite awhile and it is an excellent performer. Looking forward to hearing what the Pulse X sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back