Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 16, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #4,606 of 13,800
  Perhaps for the display firmware, user can just dismantle the display (relatively small) to ship it back to LHLabs. People living outside US like me really feel the pains of high shipping cost, not to mention paying shipping cost BOTH way. 

I recall most manufacturer will bear the return shipping cost, no ?

European standard. If you have to return your product because of a defect, the shipping cost is on them during the warranty. No questions asked. 
That also applies for asien countries like Japan and China.

In fact I don't even know a company, which does not cover the shipping cost during the warranty.

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #4,607 of 13,800

European standard. If you have to return your product because of a defect, the shipping cost is on them during the warranty. No questions asked. 
That also applies for asien countries like Japan and China.

In fact I don't even know a company, which does not cover the shipping cost during the warranty.

Must be a difference in US and European (and possibly other geographies) standards. I don't know of many companies here in the states that would pay for shipping. Guess it's all relative to what you are used to. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #4,608 of 13,800
I know a few companies that pay return shipping... But I don't know if that applies to international orders.

Emotiva certainly pays return shipping in the states.

They also allow for international users to replace individual parts, on a case by case basis. The shipping just the face plate back would be the example of this.

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #4,610 of 13,800
  Must be a difference in US and European (and possibly other geographies) standards. I don't know of many companies here in the states that would pay for shipping. Guess it's all relative to what you are used to. 

Well, maybe. But that sets a normal company apart from a good company. The normal route would be to send the unit to an authorized distributor, dealer or business partner in that country and they send it back to where it comes from for the RMA.

Hifiman, Audeze, Emotiva, Apple are doing that to ensure customer happiness. I don't even want to think about what would happen, if I have to send back the Soul. That's 70€/$80 only to ship it back to LH at the slowest pace. Return shipment would be the same, so $160 for repairs during the warranty.

I'm really sorry for ranting. But the inabilty to upgrade the display, which is one of the core items in the Pulse is leaving a sour taste in my mouth. Can't you find a way for us to upgrade the display? What is necessary to do it?

If the unit is out of warranty, the the customer normally pays for the shipments. But it should be natural to cover the cost for a company during the warranty.

Speaking of warranty, what about the non transferability if I were to gift a Pulse or something else to a friend?
That question was never answered at lhlabs even after the promise to get back to us/me.

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #4,611 of 13,800

Speaking of warranty, what about the non transferability if I were to gift a Pulse or something else to a friend?
That question was never answered at lhlabs even after the promise to get back to us/me.

I agree that the transference of warranty if the product is given as a gift is a big deal. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #4,612 of 13,800
This is ridiculous. Its the display, not the actual unit. Blah blah blah, there wasn't originally going to be a display,just LEDs. There is no warranty work occurring, they're offering to update your display firmware as a courtesy on a product most folks paid $400 or less at this point. Are you suggesting they eat another 10% of what you paid for shipping to do a courtesy upgrade?

I don't know about you but this thing competes favorably against my previous x-sabre and bests it in a lot of ways. I paid $200 for the Pulse and $800 used for the X-Sabre. I've also been enjoying my unit for weeks now. I'd rather have my old display firmware until now and enjoy my pulse than have the new firmware and have had to wait.

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #4,613 of 13,800

that's a shame. I thought the Femto clock upgrade makes a noticeable difference too....

I've heard the femto in the Pulse Xfi and even though I was at a tradeshow/convention of sorts the sound was noticeably better than my current Pulse. That said I heard the Xfi running off an LPS as well and the LPS is said, by Larry himself, to improve the standard Pulse more than it does a fully decked out Pulse Xfi. If you think about it, a fully decked out Pulse Xfi doesn't have as much room to improve as a stock Pulse would, so it makes sense.

When I upgraded my Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse to the Femto clocks it was very noticeable. I cannot imaging anyone regretting the Femto additions.

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #4,614 of 13,800
This is ridiculous. Its the display, not the actual unit. Blah blah blah, there wasn't originally going to be a display,just LEDs. There is no warranty work occurring, they're offering to update your display firmware as a courtesy on a product most folks paid $400 or less at this point. Are you suggesting they eat another 10% of what you paid for shipping to do a courtesy upgrade?

I don't know about you but this thing competes favorably against my previous x-sabre and bests it in a lot of ways. I paid $200 for the Pulse and $800 used for the X-Sabre. I've also been enjoying my unit for weeks now. I'd rather have my old display firmware until now and enjoy my pulse than have the new firmware and have had to wait.

Tell me what'S so ridiculous about the display upgrade? With the new firmware the pulse's volume is set to -80dB on power up but the display shows you the value before turning it off.
After two ticks of the knob the volume is then jumping to the value which is displayed on the display e.g. a "minor" volume spike.

Yes, it was cheap. Yes it may compete very well, but that does not justify that ****ty behaviour, which the force found out after nearly damaging their gear. In fact there was damage for some backers. That's clearly bugged and falls under warranty issues. Or is the software not part of the Pulse?

But I guess some people are just fine with partial funcionalities. It's nice to hear, that you have been enyoing your unit. At that's not sarcasm. I know, that it's going to sound good, because I own the GO. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #4,615 of 13,800
I am not surprised that the customer has to pay the shipping.
For the display board you are left as what it is, and I still remember that somebody in LHL forum argued with me that we by the nature of crowdfunding projects are "beta testers".

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #4,616 of 13,800
  When I upgraded my Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse to the Femto clocks it was very noticeable. I cannot imaging anyone regretting the Femto additions.

Agreed. The femto clocks in the GO SE make a very noticeable difference in terms of separation, placement, and overall timbre over the GO 1000. Femto all the way.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #4,617 of 13,800
Actually I find the current behavior better because I normally listen at ~30-20db. Dial from -80db is PITA. But then again, I rarely turn off the Pulse.

What bugs me is the upper case/lower case font in the menu, it really felt half baked/poorly executed. I just really can't believe niche audio company can let this happen, they don't have OCDs? But I can live with it no problem, it just felt less polished. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #4,618 of 13,800
Agreed. The femto clocks in the GO SE make a very noticeable difference in terms of separation, placement, and overall timbre over the GO 1000. Femto all the way.

But is it the femto clock that's responsible for that particular sound difference, or is it the whole package? ; )
As far as I can tell, no one has actually compared solely a femto to non-femto Geek device before, so the conclusion that the femto clock makes a big difference in sound isn't exactly accurate.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #4,619 of 13,800
Actually I find the current behavior better because I normally listen at ~30-20db. Dial from -80db is PITA. But then again, I rarely turn off the Pulse.

What bugs me is the upper case/lower case font in the menu, it really felt half baked/poorly executed. I just really can't believe niche audio company can let this happen, they don't have OCDs? But I can live with it no problem, it just felt less polished. 

Especially if you compare it to the Oppo Dac which looks incredible.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #4,620 of 13,800
But is it the femto clock that's responsible for that particular sound difference, or is it the whole package? ; )
As far as I can tell, no one has actually compared solely a femto to non-femto Geek device before, so the conclusion that the femto clock makes a big difference in sound isn't exactly accurate.

It might be accurate, but it is not proven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back