Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 15, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #271 of 13,800
  Glad to see they dropped the 1980's decorative "V" on the front panel - slight whiff of Van Halen.

Not only that, but it reeks of a lawsuit from V-Moda

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #272 of 13,800
  Not only that, but it reeks of a lawsuit from V-Moda

images

Which came first, the Da Vinci DAC (actual shape of the corner of the case is that V) or V-Moda and is there a copyright on the logo? Actually, it's a moot point since LH is not using the V logo anymore.

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #273 of 13,800
Do we know for sure yet about the option for variable line level output on back of chassis?  Why on earth go fixed if you have an analog input back there?  Are most customers looking to integrate into an already acquired stereo system of separate components, or would most be looking to have a computer sourced "do it all" that is DAC, headphone amp, and preamp that directly drives active speakers (lots of good active monitors out there...) or a plain power amp driving passive speakers?  Even if I had a current component set up, I would go in the latter direction.... And if Geek is playing to the new generation crowd, this has to be the dominant thinking?  (I am an old guy, so I ask the question since I don't rep).  Anyways, I am really close to pulling the trigger on the Pulse, but I hate the idea of not being able to build my main speaker rig around this as simply as possible.

Hey, if I am going to "pick really good ones" for computer speakers, the trend seems to be moving away from volume controls on front of speakers.  But then again, I like the idea of "really good active studio monitors" much more than computer speakers.

Greg Jensen

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #274 of 13,800
Yes, it has variable line out (though I think on the specs list it in the first page it still says it is fixed at 4v).  This was one of the changes to design they announced.

EDIT: Wait, I had to search for it (as I knew I'd read it), but it is not on their "list of changes".  Larry Ho, the lead designer, covered it in a response buried within the comments section, where he said:

Larry Ho said 5 days ago
HI, Benjamin Cheong
Yes. Volume Control will have effects on both headphone output and line out.
Larry

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #275 of 13,800
NinjaHamster,  thanks for digging that up for me.  I tried searching and couldn't find anything… but of course, I will feel a lot better when the LHS folks update the web pages to reflect exactly where things are at, maybe even including a final decision around the XLR, mini XLR, RCA and headphone jacks.  Either way, this Pulse looks very interesting and is currently the front runner for me, though I am still considering Emotiva Stealth dc-1, Yulong D18 and Schiit Bitfrost/Asgard2 as contenders… need to make up my mind soon.

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #276 of 13,800
  NinjaHamster,  thanks for digging that up for me.  I tried searching and couldn't find anything… but of course, I will feel a lot better when the LHS folks update the web pages to reflect exactly where things are at, maybe even including a final decision around the XLR, mini XLR, RCA and headphone jacks.  Either way, this Pulse looks very interesting and is currently the front runner for me, though I am still considering Emotiva Stealth dc-1, Yulong D18 and Schiit Bitfrost/Asgard2 as contenders… need to make up my mind soon.

i have the bifrost and the lyr. they are super, and an asgard that'll be here sometime today, to see if i like it better for my newly aquired LCD2.2's
i actually visited the kind folks at Emotiva yesterday, very nice folks, gave me a quick little tour, listened to the stealth dac, a couple of the stealth monitors
had a blast !!
now having said all that, i'm a backer of the geek out, and pulse, what if the pulse/out makes my bifrost, explorer , LD 1+ , lyr/asgard2 expendable , i might be having a big sale ! lol

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #277 of 13,800
Any indications from LH of what a redesigned non-V-Moda front panel might look like?

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #278 of 13,800
Just learned that Geek Pulse has three (3) TCXO clocks:

We will have 3X clock inside Geek Pulse as well. Still TCXO in very good grade. Made in Japan.

Larry

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #280 of 13,800
Usually there is one clock for multiples of 44.1 and 48 kHz respectively. Not sure why there would be three though, but I'm sure we'll get an explanation about that eventually.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #281 of 13,800
  Usually there is one clock for multiples of 44.1 and 48 kHz respectively. Not sure why there would be three though, but I'm sure we'll get an explanation about that eventually.

our Triple (3X) Clock architecture divides the tasks usually handled by one clock among three clocks — one for 44.1K audio, a second for 48K audio, and a third for USB signal transmission

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #282 of 13,800
Larry Ho commented on the lhlabs forum the following:

For Geek Pulse Balance, I think mono-mono ES9018K-2M will be even better.

ES9018 is a nice chip, but need quite a lot (or could I say too much) dedicated care for power supply and analog stage.
The overall implementation especially analog stage will occupy too much space for Geek Pulse.

Again, don't judge the performance by SNR or THD or DR numbers only. ES9018M sounds very good to me after some good tweaks.

Cheers

Larry

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #283 of 13,800
Larry Ho commented on the lhlabs forum the following:

For Geek Pulse Balance, I think mono-mono ES9018K-2M will be even better.

ES9018 is a nice chip, but need quite a lot (or could I say too much) dedicated care for power supply and analog stage.
The overall implementation especially analog stage will occupy too much space for Geek Pulse.

Again, don't judge the performance by SNR or THD or DR numbers only. ES9018M sounds very good to me after some good tweaks.

Cheers

Larry

Nice right? I hope they materialize it. And hopefully an upgrade option.

Would get it in a heartbeat.

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #284 of 13,800
No, no upgrade... I'm hoping it is the pulse we will all get... Also make the performance gap between this and the geek out that much bigger!

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #285 of 13,800
HA HA HA!  
gs1000.gif

If that is the case it will be an early Christmas treat for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back