Gauging your interest in obtaining the Grado PS-1...
Apr 12, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
I think it would be moe apropos to mention that this headphone will apparently reopen the long standing debate over whether the R-10 or the Grados are the top of the heap!

Probably, and the debate will be as misguided as it has ever been. The strengths of the R10 and the strengths of the Grado line have always been very different. They still are. If frequency response and dynamics are key to you, you'll prefer the PS-1. If imaging capability and/or sense of space is paramount, you'll prefer the R10. As for me, I'm keeping both.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #32 of 56
[size=large]As a lover of both clarity and musicality, the Grado PS-1 sounds like the ultimate dynamic phone set based on the limited reviews thus far. I definitely can't afford one right now, but I hope they remain available for some time to give me a chance to save pennies.[/size]

Apr 12, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
The price doesn't really bother me if I'm going to be using them for the next ten years.
biggrin.gif

That's the best way to look at spending money. Divide cost by total length of ownership, and the price doesn't seem so outrageous. So when you think about it, that's just $140 per year for the next ten years!

You know, you get even better cost-value when you think that that's just 38 cents a day for the next ten years... That's cheaper than a coke!

Apr 12, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #35 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by superjohnny
Am I the only person who surfs these forums who wouldn't even consider spending $1,400 on ANY pair of headphones?

That's just absurd to me, but diffn't strokes...

No, I agree with you.

Apr 12, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #36 of 56
Definitely there's a similarity between SR-40's and PS-1's. Grado Labs manufactured the parts of both models, shipped them abroad, where the assembly process took part. While China has low cost labor force, German labor is one of the most expensive in the world, therefore we see the price being so high.

As far as I know, the SR-40's project wasn't successful. Even at the range of 40 USD, the headphones couldn't fight Sony and other giants in the market. I assume that John Grado had further plan for SR-40's if they turn to be successful.

I also believe that he has some further plans for PS-1 too. This German episode might be a pre-production, a market research. I bet this time the PS-1's as a niche product would turn into success and the mass production will follow. The price might be in the range of RS-1's.

Apr 12, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #37 of 56
Unless they prove to be better than the O2 with the Weebl, I won't even consider them.
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Permonic
The price might be in the range of RS-1's.

Not a chance in the world. Grado is not going to go into competition with itself.

Apr 12, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by ayt999
I have them on order and should be here in june.
biggrin.gif
I really hope the price won't go down considerably later on though, that will be disappointing. I like my cans to be limited editions and fairly exclusive.

Planning on getting some R10's too, then? A guy at Sony has to go cut a tree down, slaughter a sheep, grow some bacteria, and machine some magnesium all for your listening pleasure.
r10smile.gif

Maybe with all the interest in the US, John will release an edition here. Perhaps with new tooling for the hanger brackets and headband.

-Ed

Apr 13, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #41 of 56
has anybody noticed that the PS-1 follows on the heels of the hd-650?

and that, from casual inspection, the grado and senn diaphragms look like twins? grado now has access to a "new" driver?

conspiracy theory: grado buys its parts from senn
600smile.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #42 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Permonic
I also believe that he has some further plans for PS-1 too. This German episode might be a pre-production, a market research. I bet this time the PS-1's as a niche product would turn into success and the mass production will follow. The price might be in the range of RS-1's.

I have talked to someone who has some knowledge of the product. According to that person, the PS-1 will only be sold through the German distributor. 75 have been made so far. It is still in production, and more are being made when ordered from Germany. Any that come to the US will be sold through ToddtheVinylJunkie, who must obtain them from Germany. This headphone will only be distributed in this manner. It will not be mass produced, nor will Grado Labs ever mass market it.

Apr 13, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I have talked to someone who has some knowledge of the product. According to that person, the PS-1 will only be sold through the German distributor. 75 have been made so far. It is still in production, and more are being made when ordered from Germany. Any that come to the US will be sold through ToddtheVinylJunkie, who must obtain them from Germany. This headphone will only be distributed in this manner. It will not be mass produced, nor will Grado Labs ever mass market it.

Hirsch, thanks for info. However, being sort of a Grado fan, I still hope PS-1's will not be only a limited edition...
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #44 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Not a chance in the world. Grado is not going to go into competition with itself.

Well, why not? It's more logical and healthier. In fact Grado is partly doing it with Alessandro headphones.

Grado price strategy seems to remain forever, which isn't good. I would analyze the weakest (according to the sales) model (RS-2's???) of the entire line and either stop its production or change the price. Assuming that pre-production serie of PS-1's had been successful and thereofre the model goes to mass production, I would create a new price list. When a new product is introduced, it's always a right time to change the prices.

The chambers of RS-1' and PS-1's have the same dimension and the rest parts (maybe apart of the drivers) are the same. The price should be the same as well. Otherwise it looks strange when semi-metal SR-325's are for 300 bucks, while full metal PS-1's cost far more.

I personally would set the prices as following:
RS-1's and PS-1's = the same price range (say $600-800).
RS-2's and SR-325's = the same price range (say $300-$400).

This would be helpful for both the manufacturer as well as customers. Manufacturer would know which material (aluminum alloy or mahogany) is prefered by customers (without considering the price) and customers would have a nice choice between them and since these're niche products, many of them would consider to own both. Grado can go further and make a offer for audio enthusiasts: say $1200 for the RS-1's/PS-1's set or "Buy both and get RA-1 amp for free". All packaged in a big double wooden box.....the same for RS-2's/SR-325's set.......

Anyway, just my thoughts....
wink.gif
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Well, why not? It's more logical and healthier. In fact Grado is partly doing it with Alessandro headphones.

The Alessandro MS Pro is not considered to be better than the RS-1, simply different. The PS-1 is, from what I have read, completely better. If the pricing of the PS-1 were at a level that would compete with the MS Pro/RS-1, then Grado would be shooting itself in the foot by making its previous top headphone (in production) obsolete. That's very dumb, considering they could continue to offer the RS-1/MS Pro at its current price and still get people to buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back