Gauging your interest in obtaining the Grado PS-1...
Apr 11, 2004 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
We've all read the (early) glowing reviews, or if you haven't you should read them now.
wink.gif

Personally, I'm totally sold on them, and I would like to buy them even without an audition at some point in the next year or two, even at their current price, which I feel is on the high side.

I'm just very worried that they will be gone before I can scrape together the cash. I used to "find a way," but now I have to be quite a bit more careful with my money. By the time I can comfortably shell out that kind of cash, they will probably be unavailable.
frown.gif

Where is everyone else at?

Apr 11, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 56
While I am very interested in the PS-1, I know I cannot afford it (at least for quite awhile). I really loved the HP-2, but in the end I sold it because I preferred the HD580 for its comfort and sound and I have the SR225 for the hard stuff (the type of music where it bests every other can I've heard so far). The comfort of the HP-2 (with flats, vwaps, comfies and bowls) was simply unbearable after several hours, probably due to the weight of the darn thing. I still find the HD580/600/650 superior to the HP1/2 (overall sound wise) so I must really love the Senn sound. If the PS-1 really does have the musicality of the RS-1 while exceeding the detail and speed of the HP-1 then it is a great headphone indeed (to read that it competes with the HE60 & SR404 in this regard is simply mind-blowing). However, while I cannot justify spending more than $500 on any headphone at this time in my life, I am really looking forward to hearing the PS-1 at the LA meet – if I had the cash I would buy the PS-1 Pro immediately just to hear the best Grado ever (I really thought the HP1000 would sit atop that throne for eternity).
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 56
Quote:

I really loved the HP-2, but in the end I sold it because I preferred the HD580 for its comfort and sound and I have the SR225 for the hard stuff

One of the reasons I'm looking at Grado is for the "hard stuff." I like my DT770, but I'd like another headphone that is a little better "all around." I'll probably try both the 325 and the 225 and sell/return the one I don't like. Or, maybe I'll try the CD3000. Hey Neil, have you heard the CD3000 in comparison to the 225?

But then again, I'd rather save up for the PS-1---if I thought it was going to be around for a while.
redface.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 56
I really miss having a pair of HP-2's around. One of these days I am going to purchase a reference dynamic can. I would purchase the PS-1's in a second if they were cheaper. I am sure if Grado made this a production model they could charge under $1K for it. For now, the 225's will have to do.

Apr 11, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 56
When Nik got them we PM'd back and forth quite a bit to discuss its characteristics. His descriptions were wonderful and based on them it sounded like the PS-1s dealt with what I perceived to be shortcomings in the HP-1000. I happen to love the HP-1s I have but, as with all things, they aren't perfect and never will be. Neither will the PS-1s be perfect but I think they will move me closer to what I want to hear.

So the upshot is that I jumped on the bandwagon early and even though my first order ran into problems, the order through Todd seems to be going through A-OK and I should get my balanced set in the next few weeks. I expect they will be an exceptional combo together with the balanced Gilmore I have on order, and a combo that I will be listening to for many, many years. I tend to be a keeper with gear I really like and while the PS-1s are pricey, they seem reasonable for what they are. The high end costs and as we already know the improvements aren't linear. The price doesn't really bother me if I'm going to be using them for the next ten years.
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 56
Three things keep me interested in Omega II's: air and resolution and staging.

I don't NEED air and if its fake air, I don't want it. Resolution I adore but I get enough of it with RS-1's and HP-1's and nothing can top Ety's as of yet, so I Can if necessary get what I need from that. So that leaves staging. HP-1's do a great job but nothing really wide like I am told the Omega's are capable of.

Now we have the PS-1. More slam and dyanmics than the top of the Grados. More resolution than either, and perhaps on par with the 404's which means pretty well on par with the Omega's. Has extra air which I would conclude from impressions is fairly natural and not overdone. So it simply lacks staging which I don't really require either.

It is pricey, same cost as Omega II's, but no need for a new amp. Hmmm, nice huh?

Yeah, as soon as I have a listen I will make my decision. $1400 is steep though, I like the idea of getting them straight from US, not back and forth from continent to continent.

Apr 11, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 56
I have them on order and should be here in june.
biggrin.gif
I really hope the price won't go down considerably later on though, that will be disappointing. I like my cans to be limited editions and fairly exclusive.

Apr 11, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

So the upshot is that I jumped on the bandwagon early and even though my first order ran into problems, the order through Todd seems to be going through A-OK and I should get my balanced set in the next few weeks. I expect they will be an exceptional combo together with the balanced Gilmore I have on order, and a combo that I will be listening to for many, many years. I tend to be a keeper with gear I really like and while the PS-1s are pricey, they seem reasonable for what they are. The high end costs and as we already know the improvements aren't linear. The price doesn't really bother me if I'm going to be using them for the next ten years.

By then they might've come out with the PS-1000...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hope you are satisfied with your amp+headphone.
biggrin.gif

Myself, the price is a bit too steep.

Apr 11, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 56
What drove me over the edge was- They might be available for the next 2 years or they might be gone in a week. No one seems to know. At 2 pair a month these will never be common. My only real concern was they might be released commercially in the USA but that seems unlikely.

The cost does bother me but if it bothered me that much I’d give up Starbucks in the morning for a year.

I wonder how these would have been received if Todd didn’t get the Flat Pads?

Mitch

Apr 11, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #11 of 56
If I had the money I'd like to buy them. But given that they cost more than my entire audio system is worth 2 times over, I don't think that's going to happen.

Apr 11, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 56
I think that there's room for a higher end Grado headphone, especially if it fixes some of the shortcomings of the RS-1 that lead to such a market for the no longer produced models.

of course, the ps-1s would be my entire budget for my system, and it would seem like i'd be better off with the RS-1s paired with the Grace 901, but if I had the money I'd be very interested.

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 56
I wonder if the positive reaction so far builds to the point where enough people are buying them and there's such demand that Grado considers doing an additional run for the domestic market. I wonder if pricing would be more in line with RS-1 if that would happen, and if so, how would people feel who bought at the $1400 price? Is that just the price you pay for being an "early adopter"?

Also, out of curiosity, did anyone find out how many were made for German market?

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 56
Quote:

I wonder if the positive reaction so far builds to the point where enough people are buying them and there's such demand that Grado considers doing an additional run for the domestic market.

That's what I'd like to see. At some point I'll probably send an e-mail to Grado with a link to this thread. Maybe when they see that the response has been positive they will consider releasing them in the US or at least keeping up production for a while?

Oh well, I'll put my hopes and dreams in one hand and crap in the other and we'll see which fills up first.
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #15 of 56
I Was on the fence about ordering one, but after speaking to Hirsch,I ordered one from Todd.
Yes that would hurt if they where released in the US market for less but thats the chance you take., then again they may never reach the US market,
They may very well coincide with the Grado line just as the Alessandro line does,and not be sold directly by Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back