Gauging your interest in obtaining the Grado PS-1...
Apr 11, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #16 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
I wonder if the positive reaction so far builds to the point where enough people are buying them and there's such demand that Grado considers doing an additional run for the domestic market. I wonder if pricing would be more in line with RS-1 if that would happen, and if so, how would people feel who bought at the $1400 price? Is that just the price you pay for being an "early adopter"?

Also, out of curiosity, did anyone find out how many were made for German market?

I was told by one source that a number were made which is way too low for me to repeat (there were some language difficulties also), but if true it's way below the 1000 of the models in the HP-1000 series.

I considered the possibility of them being produced for domestic consumption before ordering. Certainly it'll hurt if it happens and the price is lower, but it's the old chicken and egg storey, if no one buys them they'll never get produced, etc. Anyways I thought about it and the answer I came up with is I'm willing to possibly pay a premium to ensure I get these headphones. I look forward to a lot of hours spent with these headphones going forward and if I have to pay extra it really isn't that big a deal when ammortized against the number of hours I expect to enjoy them!

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #17 of 56
I think if I were going to spend over a grand, I'd go with Stax first.

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #18 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
I think if I were going to spend over a grand, I'd go with Stax first.

Heh, there's still lots of room in my house for the Omegas, but this year I'm doing dynamic, next year is for electrostatics!
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #19 of 56
6 people in 3 months buying a pair isn't really a stampede. It'll be interesting to see if the demand continues.

Another aspect is Todd sold the 650 pairs of Flat Pads in 3 months and John Grado doesn't seem concerned.

It would be nice to know more about the situation.

Why would Grado undermine RS-1 sales by releasing the PS-1 Pro unless the PS-1 Pro cost substantially more?

Stax- the problem was the Omega II’s cost $1800 then I’d need an amplifier for then again as much.

Mitch

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #20 of 56
i know i cant afford them right now.

i need to set my priorities straight - i sold all my gear before (melos and grado HP-1) and now im just trying to get a system set up as i am missing listening to headphones/music - i miss the intimacy with the music when listening.

maybe later on - its just that if it does not get produced anymore- then ill be sorry . have to look for another alternative.

Stax Omega /KGSS?
biggrin.gif
- maybe in a year or two.

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

6 people in 3 months buying a pair isn't really a stampede.

LOL, well according to the poll, 5 people so far have already purchased, but your point is well taken. However, I will say that for a relatively unknown, practically unpedigreed $1400 headphone, that's pretty hard to get, with a long lead time, it seems to be selling pretty good. I see a number of people jumping on them sound unheard, and it's not a small leap.

It will be interesting to get Grado's own perspective at the upcoming meet. Even if he priced it $200-$300 above RS-1, you have to figure he could probably sell 200 of them over time, and that adds up to worth-while sum. After all, he was willing to do a small run for the German market where I doubt Grado is as well known, and demand is probably lower. I don't see why he *wouldn't* want to do more for the US after all the hub-bub.

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

I see a number of people jumping on them sound unheard, and it's not a small leap.

hey, that's me!! to add to that, I haven't heard any grado headphone at all.
biggrin.gif

of course, I go out and buy W2002 and L3000 cans without hearing them much either.
tongue.gif

so who exactly are these five, six people (though I think there are more than that now... mine are coming in june and I've read that people ordered a pair after me)? it would be interesting to see who has a pair of the harder to find / get cans like these and other cans like it in price and availiability.

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #23 of 56
Quote:

LOL, well according to the poll, 5 people so far have already purchased, but your point is well taken. However, I will say that for a relatively unknown, practically unpedigreed $1400 headphone, that's pretty hard to get, with a long lead time, it seems to be selling pretty good. I see a number of people jumping on them sound unheard, and it's not a small leap.

Wow, your R-10 leanings are really sticking out here. A new high end Grado headphone is practically unpedigreed ?
rolleyes.gif
Have you heard of the HP-1000 series?
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

Wow, your R-10 leanings are really sticking out here. A new high end Grado headphone is practically unpedigreed ? Have you heard of the HP-1000 series?

By "unpedigreed" I mean relatively unknown, unheard, without any consensus yet on what it is in itself and relative to other cans. To me the few reports we have so far are very interesting, but hardly conclusive. Need I remind you we still argue over the sound of the HD600?
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #26 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver

Hey they come with a 30-day money back guarantee from Todd so what’s to lose?

Mitch

having heard the HP-1 , if i had the money right now - this 30 day many back guarantee is a very good safety net in case I dont like it (which is probably slim in percentage).

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

Hey they come with a 30-day money back guarantee from Todd so what’s to lose?

Does that actually apply to the PS-1? If I were selling them, it wouldn't. But Todd's a lot cooler than I am.
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #28 of 56
Quote:

By "unpedigreed" I mean relatively unknown, unheard, without any consensus yet on what it is in itself and relative to other cans. To me the few reports we have so far are very interesting, but hardly conclusive.

This is a normal part of a new product, as I said before the chicken and the egg. The L3000 really didn't get a shot at being heard since the price was too high for most folks for an unknown can from a company with a mixed track record. OTOH, the Grados have a long track record (which is also somewhat mixed). I have heard two folks who are intimately familiar with the Hp-1s and the RS-1s describe basically the same house sound with improvements in exactly the areas that I wished the HP-1s I have were better. I'm willing to take the gamble!
biggrin.gif
And it is a gamble, though not as great a one as it was when I placed the order.

Quote:

Need I remind you we still argue over the sound of the HD600?
wink.gif

Not you and I personally...
biggrin.gif
I think it would be moe apropos to mention that this headphone will apparently reopen the long standing debate over whether the R-10 or the Grados are the top of the heap!
wink.gif
This time it will be the PS-1 versus the R-10 instead of the HP-1000. Long live debate! (Though I really think these are two different headphones that are likely to appeal to different tastes and therefore different people meaning the debate will never be over).

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #30 of 56
I'd be interested in an HP-1000 beater in the ~US$950 ballpark.

If Grado looks at headphone enthusiast's (read: Head-Fi member's) interest in the PS-1 (which is to the point of importing a domestic product back onto our own soil!), John may decide to do another run for US customers, but under a different model name (PS-2?).

Hopefully this would be at a lower cost than the 'reverse-imported' model. Under US$1k shouldn't be too hard to do, since I assume a portion of the PS-1 cost comes from the weak dollar against the euro. A different model number would allow early-adopters to keep their exclusivity rights with the original PS-1's, and I am sure that there will be debates for years to come over whether the domestic model is the same/as good as the German imported version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back