Gate to Audiophilism?
Sep 17, 2011 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nathanachen

New Head-Fier
My dad bought me a pair of TMA-1s quite recently, and I didn't quite notice a big difference in sound quality. Then, I tried out his ancient pair of SR-60s, and I was amazed by the sound quality.

I'm currently debating what headphone I should get for an even better audiophile experience that's in my price range of up to 250-300 dollars. I listen to rap, jazz, electronic, pop, classical, and piano. I don't plan on using an amp, and portability isn't really a big factor for me.

Any advice?

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 6
the SR-60 is a great start, and I think relative to how much more expensive the other Grados are, few other Grado models improve hugely over what the SR-60 does well. I had 60 and 225, and I've recommended the 60 to a lot of people. the 325 is really nice, if you want to splurge in one place. there are of course many other brands worth exploring (welcome to head-fi) but if you like the Grado sound, the 60 is a great place to be in that budget, spending the difference on a really good source.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Would 325i's be good too?

Heya,

I have the SR60's. I also have the SR325's. They're excellent. But I do not think they're (the 325's specifically) quite worth the increased cost in terms of sound quality. I got them over the SR225 strictly due to being gold colored aluminum backings (style) and I bought them used so they were only a bit more expensive than an SR225. For someone buying new, and less picky about color/style, the SR225 in my mind is the better deal. I have the SR60 and the SR325, and the sound quality difference is not a leap, it's quite small, but very very similar ($220 difference, and not worth that price difference for the increase in sound quality in my opinion).

Very best,

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
My dad bought me a pair of TMA-1s quite recently, and I didn't quite notice a big difference in sound quality. Then, I tried out his ancient pair of SR-60s, and I was amazed by the sound quality.

I'm currently debating what headphone I should get for an even better audiophile experience that's in my price range of up to 250-300 dollars. I listen to rap, jazz, electronic, pop, classical, and piano. I don't plan on using an amp, and portability isn't really a big factor for me.

Any advice?

I think that you should get something around 220-250 bucks and get a fiio E6/E11 amp around amazon. Its usually a good combination at that price because the E6/E11 may be used to drive other headphones you may get in the future like beyer's dt1350 or higher end IEMs. If your using a IDevice you can also get an line out device like the Fiio L9 cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back