Gaming: Sennheiser PC 360 Review
Jan 25, 2011 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

akaTRENT

New Head-Fier
Hi again guys! I see alot of talk about the Senn HD555 and 595 on here but not much about the gaming variant the PC 360.
Anyway, I just posted a review of them on YouTube, and wanted to know what you guys think.

BTW, just for full disclosure. I used an ASTRO Mixamp to test them as that seems to be what most gamers
would be using for surround sound on gaming consoles.

I hope some of you find this useful! Thanks :)

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 10
Amazing review! make me want to try the PC360... have you tested them against K702? :)

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 10
Great review, Trent. I ended up going with the PC 360's, with a Astro 5.8 amp. I figured between the two I get the best of both worlds.

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Trent, let me just say i see a future for you in reviewing products. Keep in touch with Head-Fi as we look forward to your reviews!

Funny you should mention that, as he now works for engadget doing reviews I believe.

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Funny you should mention that, as he now works for engadget doing reviews I believe.

Interesting... he hasn't visited here in quite a while now.

May 1, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 10
A little bit of thread resurrection here, but wanted to weigh in on these PC 360s.  My intended application for these phones was primarily PC gaming, and I tested these out against some Beyer DT770 Pro-80s with an Antlion mic.  My test drive was powered with an Asus Xonar DG card, which features a headphone amp with enough guts to drive both of these sets (on different settings).

The PC 360s are sturdy, even if all-polymer construction.  They feel a little clamping on my big melon head, but I think the average user will be extremely comfortable in them.  I've been stretching them out on a Kleenex box (longwise) when not in use.  

In the end, I settled on the PC 360s.  They have a nice wide soundstage, which is great for positional audio, and the open backs allow for a little breathing during long sessions.  I game in the same room where my wife watches TV, and the open backs still provide plenty of isolation for my tastes, even at very moderate volumes.  I am finding closed backs to be disconcerting when using a mic for communication, because you can't hear your own voice well.

The DT770s were definitely superior sound-wise, in my amateur opinion.  If my decision were focused on music, I would have stuck with the Beyers.  However, with a small EQ nudge on the three lowest channels, the Senns really sound great with music and are perhaps more neutral than the thumping Beyers.  (These Beyers are what you actually want if you think you want Dr Dre Beats!  
beyersmile.png
 )

For sheer gaming convenience, however, the PC 360s are king.  The integrated mic, which includes a fantastic auto-mute feature (when stowed vertically), is incredibly useful, as is the volume control on the right earcup.  Senn's design wins hands-down over the lack of easily-accessible volume or mic mute controls on the DT770/ModMic combo.  The PC 360's design also eliminates the need for a volume/mute control fob, which is very liberating.

Don't misunderstand - the ModMic is actually a great design, and my son reported that its sound quality was fantastic.  That said, it doesn't noise-cancel, and I found myself wondering what I would do to save my comrades' ears if I needed to sneeze or put down my set for a drink break mid-game??  If AntLion adds a mute control to their design, they will have a very complete package.  Very excellent first attempt, at any rate.

While the PC 360s are much more expensive than most "gaming headsets", they actually deliver the sound quality that gamers would expect for a set of ~$200 USD phones.  Don't monkey with multi-speaker "surround sound" sets.  Get yourself a set of these 360s and a card/DAC/amp that produces Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D Headphone sound - you'll thank Sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back