Gaming (+ Music) Headphones
Aug 26, 2011 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AyeVeeN

100+ Head-Fier
So I've been looking for headphones that I'd use for both gaming and music at home (I currently have HD25s for on the go), and I have no idea what to pick :). I'm not too sure whether or not I would like open or closed, but I kind of want open because I need to hear if anyone is calling me around the house, but I also want closed because I like rumbly bass (despite gaming) + the isolation (at times).

So I have a few questions.

Is the HD25 analytical? My genre preferences are hip hop, r&b, pop, dance, techno, trance, happy hardcore, etc, so mainly genres w/ bass. I do occasionally listen to rock though.

If I love the sound of the HD25s (and I also loved the M50s), which would be better for me? The bass is fine for me on the HD25s, though I do amp it up one level with the E11.

HD598s, Q701, SRH840 / SRH940, D2000

I don't know much about the SRHs for sound stage, so I have no idea if those are good at all for gaming. Q701s, I don't have a desktop amp, but if I need one I'll prob be getting an E9 (if I get the Q701s). Also HD598 - does it require an amp? D2000 - heard it has good soundstage for closed headphones, + fits my needs for the genres I listen to :).

Btw the games I play mainly are FPS and RTS (like league of legends, which I assume doesn't really need soundstage anyways but the open design would be sort of nice. I hate talking with closed headphones on as it makes me sound weird as hell and I can't judge how loud I'm talking. I use skype a lot by the way).

Summary: Open or Closed for my needs? (I like open because I want / need to be able to hear people calling me and I want to be able to clearly hear my voice, closed for my needs of bass).
HD598s, Q701s, SRH840/940, or D2000?

ALSO how bad is the HD598's chipping / cracking problem? Cause if it happens to me, it'll bother the hell out of me.

I've been looking at the Q701s for a long while, but I don't know exactly if I like analytical headphones or not (as I never tried / compared them) and the fact that they apparently have basically nonexistent bass.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
So I have a few questions.

Is the HD25 analytical? My genre preferences are hip hop, r&b, pop, dance, techno, trance, happy hardcore, etc, so mainly genres w/ bass. I do occasionally listen to rock though.

Not really. But more balanced to handle a lot of music.

If I love the sound of the HD25s (and I also loved the M50s), which would be better for me? The bass is fine for me on the HD25s, though I do amp it up one level with the E11.

M50's are good for gaming and music. Also more comfortable

HD598 Need amp, no problem for a E11
Q701 REALLY NEEDS A AMP. Stay away until you have a really well established system on hand. These aren't headphones you want to step up to until you have a already great setup. Short: Don't buy a amp only for these. Buy these for your amp.
SRH840 / SRH940 940's in the deal thread, somewhere for $210 and a great deal. Don't need a amp but will benefit from one. Good for anything except pop for me. Odd. Good for portable too.
D2000 Boring to me. But good if you don't already have a amp or like electronic music with bass.

I don't know much about the SRHs for sound stage, so I have no idea if those are good at all for gaming. Q701s, I don't have a desktop amp, but if I need one I'll prob be getting an E9 (if I get the Q701s). Also HD598 - does it require an amp? D2000 - heard it has good soundstage for closed headphones, + fits my needs for the genres I listen to :).

940 for sure. Even if you can't find the $210 deal, very good price at $300. the HD598 would be the next and more FUN to compare to the 940's. Both will work from your amp no problem. They both have good soundstage

Btw the games I play mainly are FPS and RTS (like league of legends, which I assume doesn't really need soundstage anyways but the open design would be sort of nice. I hate talking with closed headphones on as it makes me sound weird as hell and I can't judge how loud I'm talking. I use skype a lot by the way).

HD598 are good for monitoring on the computer. But you can always slid a closed cup off a ear to hear yourself scream at the person your on skype with.
biggrin.gif

Summary: Open or Closed for my needs? (I like open because I want / need to be able to hear people calling me and I want to be able to clearly hear my voice, closed for my needs of bass).

Open would be best if you can, but I have to push the 940 over the HD598. Don't get both because they are very alike, but the 940 is just a better and more specific headphone also better for gaming. The HD598 are maybe too FUN at times and things like to get out of control.

HD598s, Q701s, SRH840/940, or D2000?

940 all the way. HD598 is you find them not to your tastes, but there isn't much a difference.

ALSO how bad is the HD598's chipping / cracking problem? Cause if it happens to me, it'll bother the hell out of me.

Haven't happened to me yet. Strong headphones. but 940s!

I've been looking at the Q701s for a long while, but I don't know exactly if I like analytical headphones or not (as I never tried / compared them) and the fact that they apparently have basically nonexistent bass.

940's soundstage and sound signature is similar, not as airy, but similar to the K/Q701

EDIT

Addressing your genre choices: Denon would be best, but take this with a grain of salt. By "best"I mean that out of the cans they would sound just a small amount better. Not much difference. The Shure 940's have a really low hitting bass that's not too BOOMING but is there and strong with detail. HD598's bass is kinda of a wild bull, it's loud and everywhere, might crash into things and will always be wild. Not much to control the bass.

Shure 940's for now, Denon are a good upgrade later.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 13
Alright. Thanks for that. I assume you have both the HD598s and the SRH940s? Still the only thing is open vs closed though because my mom (I'm 15) calls me around the house a lot so.. Is there a large difference between the 840 and 940 by the way? And which deals thread? The portable headphone / IEM one or is there a different one? On amazon there's a $120 price difference between the 2 models.

And in comparison, how much wider / narrower is the 940's sound stage compared to the HD598s?

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
Alright. Thanks for that. I assume you have both the HD598s and the SRH940s? Still the only thing is open vs closed though because my mom (I'm 15) calls me around the house a lot so.. Is there a large difference between the 840 and 940 by the way? And which deals thread? The portable headphone / IEM one or is there a different one? On amazon there's a $120 price difference between the 2 models.

And in comparison, how much wider / narrower is the 940's sound stage compared to the HD598s?

I have the Hd598 because it's more fun
I auditioned the 940 for a week and loved them. But liked my HD598 just a little better.

840 vs. 940:
840 has more mids and a bit more detail.
Other then that, the 940's beat them down in everything.

The fullsized deals thread. Search spectrum audio

The 940's soundstage is more airy, meaning it has more separation of the sound outside your head. The HD598 are more forward (less soundstage) but can be very open at times.
940 soundstage: 7/10
HD598: 5/10
HD800: 9/10
K1000: 12/10
biggrin.gif

Try to get the 940's, but you won't be bad with the HD598 either. But at that price, well worth the 940's

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
I have the Hd598 because it's more fun
I auditioned the 940 for a week and loved them. But liked my HD598 just a little better.

840 vs. 940:
840 has more mids and a bit more detail.
Other then that, the 940's beat them down in everything.

The fullsized deals thread. Search spectrum audio

The 940's soundstage is more airy, meaning it has more separation of the sound outside your head. The HD598 are more forward (less soundstage) but can be very open at times.
940 soundstage: 7/10
HD598: 5/10
HD800: 9/10
K1000: 12/10
biggrin.gif

Try to get the 940's, but you won't be bad with the HD598 either. But at that price, well worth the 940's

Is the fatiguing bad on the 940s? Probably a few of my last questions. Read that the fatiguing was pretty bad compared to HD555s, and I do long gaming sessions so.. and do you know if I'd get a full refund for returning a non-defective product to amazon? :). I've returned / replaced many items from amazon, but they were all defective. Kind of want to try headphones.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:

Is the fatiguing bad on the 940s? Probably a few of my last questions. Read that the fatiguing was pretty bad compared to HD555s, and I do long gaming sessions so.. and do you know if I'd get a full refund for returning a non-defective product to amazon? :). I've returned / replaced many items from amazon, but they were all defective. Kind of want to try headphones.

The HD5XX series are really fatiguing when it comes to the driver. The comfort is nice though.

The 940's might be a little too bright (treble high) for some, but some EQing fixes that easily and you won't notice that for games.
The 940's are also more analytical, (boring) but not so boring as you won't notice the sound.

Comfort for the 940's is tough. The headband is debated but I found it nice. The pads are lush pillows of joy (choice of velor and pleather) and the clamping was good.

Compared the 940 vs HD598 in comfort: btw: 940 and HD598 are about the same weight

Negative:
HD598: booming bass, velor pads scratch sometimes, highs are sharp for the first 200 hours of burn in, pad is hard for the first 500 hours on head, clamping gets to you after a while, the pads are kinda weird, the cable makes a little noise when touched.
940: The headband touch area is small and a little hard (some people like this), pads could contact around ears, velor pads don't add bass like on other headphones, Dj style cups that might wobble a bit when on head.

940's were more comfortable for long term music, but gaming might need a minute rest every hour or so.
HD598 are good if you don't move your head anytime while wearing them. not too good for long term music and velor might annoy you while gaming.

Comfort:
940: 7/10,   8/10 for the choices of pads
HD598: 7/10
MDR-V6: 9/10 with foam mod in the pads
ATH-A900 (to me): 6/10

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:

The HD5XX series are really fatiguing when it comes to the driver. The comfort is nice though.

The 940's might be a little too bright (treble high) for some, but some EQing fixes that easily and you won't notice that for games.
The 940's are also more analytical, (boring) but not so boring as you won't notice the sound.

Comfort for the 940's is tough. The headband is debated but I found it nice. The pads are lush pillows of joy (choice of velor and pleather) and the clamping was good.

Compared the 940 vs HD598 in comfort: btw: 940 and HD598 are about the same weight

Negative:
HD598: booming bass, velor pads scratch sometimes, highs are sharp for the first 200 hours of burn in, pad is hard for the first 500 hours on head, clamping gets to you after a while, the pads are kinda weird, the cable makes a little noise when touched.
940: The headband touch area is small and a little hard (some people like this), pads could contact around ears, velor pads don't add bass like on other headphones, Dj style cups that might wobble a bit when on head.

940's were more comfortable for long term music, but gaming might need a minute rest every hour or so.
HD598 are good if you don't move your head anytime while wearing them. not too good for long term music and velor might annoy you while gaming.

Comfort:
940: 7/10,   8/10 for the choices of pads
HD598: 7/10
MDR-V6: 9/10 with foam mod in the pads
ATH-A900 (to me): 6/10

You have me confused now.. The 595's actually have boomy bass? Haven't encountered an open headphone yet w/ bass that I can at least feel. Thought the clamp was pretty light for most open headphones, and I thought velours normally decrease bass due to the fact there's less isolation? And they come with both? I love velours :) pleather gets too sweaty.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
You have me confused now.. The 595's actually have boomy bass? Haven't encountered an open headphone yet w/ bass that I can at least feel. Thought the clamp was pretty light for most open headphones, and I thought velours normally decrease bass due to the fact there's less isolation? And they come with both? I love velours :) pleather gets too sweaty.

I like pleather because my sideburns scratch at the velor

The HD598 have booming bass for a OPEN can.

The 940's are more subtle but direct and detailed with the bass.

But then I'm comparing them to my T50RP's which are my faked Thunderpants

I've found when switching over, the velor add a whole lot of bass.

The velor between them are two different worlds. The 940's are more soft, the HD598 has scratchier velor. But I'm hatin on the cans I love also!

The 940's would give you the best sound for your money. I can compare them to the $1000+ flagships, but not be a contender. The HD598 I can compare in the $400-500 range only.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:

I like pleather because my sideburns scratch at the velor

The HD598 have booming bass for a OPEN can.

The 940's are more subtle but direct and detailed with the bass.

But then I'm comparing them to my T50RP's which are my faked Thunderpants

I've found when switching over, the velor add a whole lot of bass.

The velor between them are two different worlds. The 940's are more soft, the HD598 has scratchier velor. But I'm hatin on the cans I love also!

The 940's would give you the best sound for your money. I can compare them to the $1000+ flagships, but not be a contender. The HD598 I can compare in the $400-500 range only.

Alright thanks for all the help. And yeah meant 598 :) typo. Guess the SRH940's my next can. Switched between like 4 the past few months. DT770 80OHM to one of the Ultrasones (Pro 750 probably, unless I had enough for a Pro 900), then Aiaiai TMA-1s and then SRH940s :).

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 13
Just looked at the OP's original post - and I'm afraid I can't agree with Botbyte on everything he's said.

From your initial post, you want a can for gaming and music, and can't decide at the moment between open (gaming/sound-stage) vs closed (rumbling bass).

First - as good at the 940's bass quality is, it's quite bright, and the bass is not in the least "rumbly".  So from your description - it's simply not going to suit you.

I can't comment on the Q701's or D2000's because I haven't heard them.

The HD598 has a good sound-stage.  I haven't tried them for gaming (only got to demo them), but they do have nice bass.  Not as controlled as the 940 - but definitely more impact.  Also quite forward for a Sennheiser, and as Botbyte said, quite a fun can.

Between the 940 and 598, I actually think the HD598 more closely matches what you were originally asking for - open, but with bass impact, reasonably good sound-stage for gaming.  I prefer the SRH940 - but that's my tastes - not yours.

BTW - Botbyte did mention SRH840 at one stage, and although they are great cans, they have a very small soundstage, and I found they were hopeless for FPS gaming (mid-bass hump).

The other can I'd consider for you would be a Beyer DT880.  They're open, with a moderate sound-stage (I game with mine), good punchy bass, and nice balance.  They're alse extremely comfortable.

The HD598 don't need to be amped - they will benefit from one though.  Depending on the DT880 version, you will need amping (if 250 or 600 ohm).  I have the DT880 Pro 250 ohm - and they need more juice than my ipod supplies.  You'd be OK out of a reasonable soundcard though.

Hope this helps with another view point.

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Just looked at the OP's original post - and I'm afraid I can't agree with Botbyte on everything he's said.

From your initial post, you want a can for gaming and music, and can't decide at the moment between open (gaming/sound-stage) vs closed (rumbling bass).

First - as good at the 940's bass quality is, it's quite bright, and the bass is not in the least "rumbly".  So from your description - it's simply not going to suit you.

I can't comment on the Q701's or D2000's because I haven't heard them.

The HD598 has a good sound-stage.  I haven't tried them for gaming (only got to demo them), but they do have nice bass.  Not as controlled as the 940 - but definitely more impact.  Also quite forward for a Sennheiser, and as Botbyte said, quite a fun can.

Between the 940 and 598, I actually think the HD598 more closely matches what you were originally asking for - open, but with bass impact, reasonably good sound-stage for gaming.  I prefer the SRH940 - but that's my tastes - not yours.

BTW - Botbyte did mention SRH840 at one stage, and although they are great cans, they have a very small soundstage, and I found they were hopeless for FPS gaming (mid-bass hump).

The other can I'd consider for you would be a Beyer DT880.  They're open, with a moderate sound-stage (I game with mine), good punchy bass, and nice balance.  They're alse extremely comfortable.

The HD598 don't need to be amped - they will benefit from one though.  Depending on the DT880 version, you will need amping (if 250 or 600 ohm).  I have the DT880 Pro 250 ohm - and they need more juice than my ipod supplies.  You'd be OK out of a reasonable soundcard though.

Hope this helps with another view point.

Any idea how the 940's bass is compared to the HD25s? I'm totally fine with those and they seem to lack impact + rumble until I amp it up one level with my E11. Without the amp, I'm still fine though.

I also heard that the DT880 has trouble distinguishing between the 5~7 o'clock position (in Mad Lust Envy's thread). And I use integrated :) found no difference between an E7 or my DAC, and I have no room for an Asus Xonar (cause I'm running 2 cards in SLI).

Hows the soundstage for the 940 compared to the DT880? I'm drawn away from the HD598 due to the cracking problem..

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Any idea how the 940's bass is compared to the HD25s? I'm totally fine with those and they seem to lack impact + rumble until I amp it up one level with my E11. Without the amp, I'm still fine though.

I also heard that the DT880 has trouble distinguishing between the 5~7 o'clock position (in Mad Lust Envy's thread). And I use integrated :) found no difference between an E7 or my DAC, and I have no room for an Asus Xonar (cause I'm running 2 cards in SLI).

Hows the soundstage for the 940 compared to the DT880? I'm drawn away from the HD598 due to the cracking problem..

I can't compare the 940's bass with the HD25's - unfortunately I've never had the pleasure of listening to the Senns yet.

The Beyer DT880 vs Shure SRH 940 questions are good ones though.  I've only had the Shures for less than a week - so I'm still forming an opinion on them.  Funny thing is that I'm currently going though the same exercise as you are (except I'm deciding which ones to keep).  They both have very strong points.

Here's my take on both so far - btw the Beyers are DT880 Pro 250 ohm

1. Comfort - the Shures are comfortable - better than my old 840's.  But the Beyers are like pillows - I could wear them for hours.
  2. Build - both very solidly built.  I'd give the edge to the Beyers for overall solidness, but the Shures have the replaceable cable.  It's a toss-up.
  3. Amplification - Shures don't need it - but do benefit.  Beyers need it - need more volume than the Shures as well.  Both do great out of an E11, really well out of an E9, and superb out of my PortaTube.
  4. Bass - Beyers hands down.  More impact, nice extension.  The bass on the 940's is well detailed and well extended - there's just not a lot present so far.  The 940's do respond nicely to the boost on the E11 though - but even then, are not to the same level of the Beyers.  If anything the 940's remind me a little of the AD700 / AD900.  Bass is definitely there, it's just at the back of the presentation.
  5. Mids - Shure's strong point.  Mids go to the Shures for certain.  They have a warm sweet tone too - it almost reminds me of listening through a tube amp.  The Beyers in contrast seem a little cooler. The Shures have the mids at the front - the Beyers are back a little.
  6. Highs - Nice in both.  Shures have a little more sparkle - but that could be just the tendency toward more mid/high presence.  The Beyers also have very good highs - but I think the Shures have slightly better extension.  Neither are sibilant with good recordings.
  7. Soundstage - really tough one.  For a closed can - the 940's are really quite good.  Definitely better stage than the 840's.  But still not overly wide or deep.  The Beyers don't have a huge stage for an open can either.  From what I've heard so far - I'd say the soundstage size is very similar with the 880 being very slightly wider.
  8. Clarity - at the moment I'd give it to the 940's.  This may change once I get used to them a little more.  It could also be the difference in bass playing a role.
  9. Balance - a lot of people describe the DT880 as having a U shaped signature - more balanced than the DT990 to be sure, but having more emphasis on the lows and highs.  I actually find them a lot more balanced than the Shures so far - especially with the Shures tending toward a more mid/high emphasis.

Overall so far - I'm very split between the two.  I listen to a lot of female vocals - and for those, I haven't heard a better headphone than the SRH940 so far.  The warm sweet tone is just wonderful.  But for acoustic rock, or male vocal, so far I'm tending toward the Beyers.  I'm keeping my Alessandros - I only really want one other set of cans - so I have to choose eventually between the DT880 and SRH940.  I haven't made that choice yet - it is very, very close.  For all rounders, I'd tend toward the Beyers so far.

I haven't tried gaming so far with the 940's - I'll do that this weekend and let you know.

I see you don't have a dedicated sound card though - so you're not going to get any accurate positioning unless you have (Creative) CMSS or (Asus) dolby hph enabled (for FPS games).  When I'm gaming, I unplug my E7/E9 and plug an old CMSS enabled Soundblaster Live 24bit external soundcard.  It does make a world of difference.

Hope above helps.  I've probably left you as confused as I am currently 
wink.gif
.  I full expected the 940's to beat the Beyers - they don't ....... yet.  I just need more time with both before I eventually make a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back