Gaming Headphones?
Apr 25, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 7
yes, plenty of options out there but it depends on how much you want to spend.  What is your budget?  Without knowing that, recommendations will be all over the place.  Also, are you looking for a simple plug and play solution or are you willing to mod/piece together a setup?  

BTW, you should check out Mad Lust Envy's guide to gaming headphones to start.

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 7
First off, I suggest getting an Ear Force DSS (~$70). It allows you to use the digital output of your Xbox or PS3, with 5.1/7.1 surround sound that is processed into stereo sound for headphones, while keeping the surround directional effect. I have one for my PS3 connected to a headphone amplifier, but it's plenty loud enough on its own.

For headphones themselves, you can connect any headphones to the Ear Force DSS, but the topic of headphones is so wide that you'd best look at other gaming threads to discover which are best for your tastes. As Jae said, the Mad Lust Envy's guide is a great starting point for Cinematic vs. Competitive headphones. One of the best rated in that thread (Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro) are my favorite to use for games.

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 7
The Ear Force DSS is a great option if using a mic is not important to you for gaming.  Just thought I'd point that out since that is the only real downside of it, imo.  Most of the time, I don't use my mic while gaming but I do like to have that option for when I'm gaming with friends and that ruled out the EF DSS for me.

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 7
then the astro mixamp is what you need , costs more and they have the wireless option

i'm in the same boat you are, i got my headphones (Senn HD 598) but looking between dss or mixamp

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 7
I have the mixamp 5.8 and am pretty happy with it.  Doesn't have any problem driving my D2000s but I will say that it can eat through batteries pretty quickly when using the chat channel as well.  Nice thing about the 5.8 is that you can run it off of USB power when the batteries die so you're not left completely stranded. 

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 7
Turtle Beach PX5

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548297/turtle-beach-px5-gaming-headset#post_7408276

Users who are viewing this thread

Back