Gaming Headphone Recommendation
Nov 6, 2010 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TypeOne

New Head-Fier
So I have been going crazy reading review after review about headphones because I desperately need a new setup for my xbox and PC gaming. I will be doing mostly MMOs on the PC, but definitely some Black Opts on the XBOX. So I definitely want something immersive enough for an MMO/Movie/Light Music (HIP-HOP), but will give me good enough precision when attacking the FPS space. I will be purchasing the ASTRO Mixamp as well, but am open for mixamp suggestions.

I have been over at AVS, speaking to the kind population and I thought I narrowed it down to K702s or DT990s, K702s leaning towards more competitive phones, while DT990s being more immersive cans for everything else. I was leaning on the DT990s because MMOs will be my primary game. But after coming on here, I realized they are not as praised, nor considered the best pair of cans alongside the K702s.

So I beg; will someone please send me to the shopping cart. Thank you for your anticipated assistance.

P.S. Hi

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 4
Hey T1, it's Shin. I know you want more opinions than what you're geting at AVS, but I'll tell you right now, Head-fi doesn't have that many members that use virtual suround amps like the Mixamp, AX720, and DSS.

Guarantee that you'll get AD700, AD900, Senn 555/595/PC350, and the other recommendations you already know about. Head-fi in general also doesn't really  know about the strengths of the K701/2 with a virtual surround amp like us at AVS, as over there we're more likely to try some crazy combinations for gaming that Head-fi normally wouldn't. I'm speaking mostly from what I have seen while I have lurked and posted here when it comes to gaming headphones...

As for the DT990, they are not as praised simply because not many people here own them and use them for your needs.

I'll give you another headphone to consider: The DT880. They are literally the one that has a mix of strengths of K702 and DT990 but just don't do as well in regards to FPS gaming, IMHO. Other than that, I'll let you get the varying Head-fi opinions, to see what surprises we may get.

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #3 of 4
Hey shin! I figured you would be on headfi also. Yeah, I came to the same conclusion after reading on here a bit. AVS def seemed more busy with more people to test and comment. I just started to get all head spinning when I read people complaining about the DT990s here.

I've purchased a pair of DT990s 600ohm from amazon for 229. (I know. Good price). I'll be on AVS to report my PC gaming experience.

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 4
The biggest comnplaints about the DT990 is the peaky treble, which to be honest is. They are just a bright headphone with a pronounced treble. A lot of head-fiers like a rolled off treble (softer, less harsh). I personally HATE rolled off treble, as it just sounds blanketed to me. Only you can judge whether the pronounced treble would be a bad thing for you or not. To be honest, the treble peak is less pronounced when gaming in Dolby Headphone as the sound is more spread out and less fatiguing. It's considerably easier to listen to the 990s when gaming than when listening to music. Not that I have a problem with them. There are Grado fans here that would probably love the 990s due to the aggressive treble.

Also, a lot of Head-fiers don't like a fun sound signature. They prefer analytical/flat frequency curve. There are plenty here though that are like me and love some bass and treble emphasis. From my experience, the DT990 is the most audiophile friendly 'fun' headphone I have used. The difference between the DT880 (well loved here) and DT990 isn't as staggering as people may lead you to believe. Think of the 990 as a bass boosted 880 with peakier treble emphasis. To be honest both are peaky in treble, the 990 moreso. The 990/600 has the least harshest treble out of the 990s, which is why I suggested it.

Beyers have a specific sound signature, and I honestly find the 880 a bit boring compared to the 990. That and the 990 performs better than the 880 for gaming, IMHO. Nerd and Rage told you the issues they had with the 880s (same as the issues I had).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back