Galaxy S9/S9+ audio quality
Feb 26, 2018 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 140

swesko

500+ Head-Fier
So the phones have been announced I'm actually using the s8 and hesitating to upgrading to the s9+. Demo models should be available soon and so will the reviews. Please post detailed audio analysis of you find any. I suspect the exynos will have a better audio chip

Feb 27, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 140
because on the s8 exynos the DAC was a cirrus logic chip while on the Snapdragon variant they used Qualcomms integrated audio chip

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 140
Here is something i found:

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/high-end-smartphones/samsung-galaxy-s9-review-3672640/

Connectivity and Audio
There's not much Samsung or other manufacturers can do to improve connectivity on a 2018 flagship smartphone. Like the S8, the Galaxy S9 has all the things you'd expect including 11ac dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, GPS, USB-C and a headphone port.

There's no Quad DAC for better headphone audio like the LG V30, but Samsung has improved the speakers on the S9. There are now stereo speakers with the usual down firing one on the bottom and now one where the earpiece is above the screen.

It's the same setup Apple uses for recent iPhones, and also one Sony has adopted with the XZ2.

It might sound a little odd with both firing in different directions but we'll take it over a mono speaker any day. There's still tuning from AKG and this time Samsung has also added Dolby Atmos which you can toggle for a bigger, more spacious soundscape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 5, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 140
Still no info on the audio chip and I don't think many look at these in their reviews

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #9 of 140
so i got my s9+ yesterday, its the exynos version. It is louder and mmuch clearer than the S8 exynos i have. I'm pleasently surprised, using the same tracks/headphone (Westone W80) i can hear some nice improvements

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #11 of 140
thats good, then they use the new CS-dac
most likely yes, we'll wait for teh phone to be rooted or kernel sources and see what it got

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #12 of 140
Still no info on the audio chip and I don't think many look at these in their reviews

Should I even care about upgrading from my S7 just for audio at this point? I run a Mojo hooked up to the phones mini usb when I listen 90% of the time anyway. Doesn't my digital signal bypass the phones' DAC and run straight through the Mojo's DAC making the DAC quality on the phone moot as long as I'm using the Mojo?

Mar 9, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #14 of 140
Should I even care about upgrading from my S7 just for audio at this point? I run a Mojo hooked up to the phones mini usb when I listen 90% of the time anyway. Doesn't my digital signal bypass the phones' DAC and run straight through the Mojo's DAC making the DAC quality on the phone moot as long as I'm using the Mojo?
I have the mojo as well of course it bypasses your internal DAC it will sound better than the internal dac of the phone I'm only addressing those who use their phones as a source and comparing to the s8 it sounds better and its louder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back