Futuresonics Atrio M5
Dec 6, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #1,951 of 2,359
I just got my Atrio M5s today...

Wow. Just freakin' wow. And they haven't even broken in yet.

I can push these things almost as hard as my Super.fi 5 EBs, but the clarity is so much better.

These things with iZotope Ozone quite literally sound like a (good, very good) car stereo if I want them to (Baby Bash - Don't Stop/Cyclone highlight this capability perfectly). The only difference is only my head vibrates, not my whole body.

I can't wait until these have broken in. I'm not opening the other one for now until I figure out what I'm going to do with it.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #1,952 of 2,359
Yeah, these things are great
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #1,953 of 2,359
I just wanted to illustrate what I meant when I said I was pushing a lot of bass through these.

iZotope30dBass.jpg

That's +30 dB with a -20 dB preamp in order to prevent the sound from clipping. On the actual EQ of iZotope, I'm only dropping the main bass range about 4 and 11 dB depending on the song, which is still a +19-26 dB boost above the rest of the sound.

I won't always listen at these levels, of course, but at least I know exactly what the capabilities of these puppies are now.

Dec 7, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #1,956 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by thestevo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to give some credit to Futuresonic's customer service. I've had my M5's since July 07, and the rubber at the base of my drivers was wearing off significantly. It bothered me, so I emailed Futuresonic and they are sending me the new v2, even though I am out of the one year warranty period!

Yes they offer a great service/warranty. But remember that original Atrio (v1) were with 2 years warranty. Now v2 is 1 year warranty!
But still one of the best service/warranty in the business, with fast and courteous email response.

Also using my Atrio, I never had a "upgraditis" urge to get other IEMs!! For me this means alot!

regards,

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #1,957 of 2,359
I believe the warranty has always been one year, though they tend to cut you some slack sometimes. They're very reasonable, and I hope people don't abuse this.

But yes, I agree that I've never had any urge to upgrade my earphones. MAYBE some Sennheiser HD600s, but that's such a completely different headphone for completely different purposes. I've tried several IEMs, and the Atrio are the only ones I've ever truly enjoyed.

Dec 8, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #1,958 of 2,359
Packrog, please go look at post #1087 of this thread. I copied the warranty info from Future Sonics and pasted it in the post at the time.
2 years it was...
Still one of the best service oriented cie.
regards,

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #1,959 of 2,359
Introduction
I will start off by saying that this post is very long overdue, since I have promised a number of people a review of the Atrio. Do take note that although I own and like the Atrio a lot, I will try to make my comments as unbiased and detailed as possible, but if you have differing views or opinions feel free to comment constructively.

General Information about the Atrio
- Drivers: Future Sonics proprietary mg5pro™ dynamic
- Frequency Range: 18 Hz - 20,000 Hz truetimbre™ response
- Impedance: 32ohms
- Sensitivity: 112 dB @ 30 Hz / 1 mW
- Isolation: 26 dB
- Cable: 1.3 m quietcables™ II with reduced microphonics
- Connector: standard 3.5mm (1/8") stereo mini-plug (gold)

2891384032_40dde5e334.jpg

Equipment Experience
I have owned the SF5Pros before the Atrio, and have tried a number of IEMs such as SF3, TF10, UM1, UM2, SA6, (APS) ER4P/S, SE530, Klipsch Image X10, D-jays, Q-jays, W3 (briefly), IE6/7/8 (all not burned-in).

The Package
Inside the box you get a Quick Start Guide, FAQ sheet, tips, cleaning tool and a carrying case. You get 2 pairs of large foams, 2 pairs of small foams, 1 pair each of small/medium/large biflanges. The box itself doesn't look very impressive but I guess it serves its purpose. The carrying case is pretty sturdy, with an inner compartment to put your extra tips etc.

3092358770_039ebefbbc.jpg

Build Design and Quality
The IEM itself is plasticky and oddly shaped, so I won't give it high marks for design but the quality is pretty robust and of decent quality. The cables are pretty sturdy, not too thick and do not retain their shape easily (easier to uncoil without a problem). I haven't taken care of my pair very well and it's been scratched up a bit, but it still looks fine (since it's black). I'll give 8/10 for build quality.

Fit, Isolation and Comfort
They can be worn over the ear or the conventional way, I prefer wearing them over the ears. They don't come with memory wire though, which makes it less fiddly than the UE counterparts. I have to mention that the Atrio is very particular about the fit and positioning - the soundstage, sound signature and bass quantity vary greatly depending on the depth of insertion and the type of tip used. For me, the positioning of the Atrio still needs some luck once in awhile to get that sweet spot. On some days I can get it right in 10s, on others I need a full minute to get it right.

Isolation, on the other hand, is not fantastic on the Atrio. I have tried all the tips given and even Shure Softflex, with foam tips (complys, Shure olives) you get the best isolation of the lot but it's nowhere close to the Ety triflange (the tip I'm going to try next). I'll give 7/10 for isolation.

Music
They Don't Want Music - Black Eyed Peas
Explosive - Bond
Fly Me To The Moon (Live) - Diana Krall
Bonfire - Lamb
Gorecki - Lamb
Dance Floor Anthem - Good Charlotte
Bleeding Love - Leona Lewis
Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganini - Maksim
Secret - Maroon 5
Canto Della Terra - Sarah Brightman feat. Andrea Bocelli
Hana's Eyes - Maksim
Hot and Cold - Katy Perry
Symphony - Sarah Brightman
Torn - Natalie Imbruglia
You Are Loved (Don't Give Up) - Josh Groban
Cinema Paradiso - Robert Wolf & Fang Krammerlander

Sound Quality

For the record, my pair is fully burned-in. Tested using iPod 5.5G and iQube.

Bass
Hmm, where do I start? If you someone says the Atrio is a basshead IEM, it's not an opinion but a fact. The bass the Atrio pumps out is unlike any other IEM I have ever heard. The extension, slam and articulation is nothing short of amazing. The bass strikes you as very natural sounding, and drum beats have a very realistic decay to their sound. Keep in mind that I have not heard a burned-in IE8 before, so my experience is limited.

I believe bass should not be just heard but also felt and the very low (below human hearing frequencies) bass extension is what gives this "feeling". The bass gives an obvious presence in the music which is what is so unique to the Atrio. On the songs Bleeding Love and Secret this extension is very apparent, there is the rumbling that can barely be heard but is obviously there in the song. Some might classify this as "boomy" but I will call it "delightful". :p I used to think that bass wasn't very important but the Atrio made me come to realise that you need to have every part of the spectrum to get a full picture of your music. The Atrio brought out so many bass details in my music I never knew they had, and the layering of the bass is clean and well-defined. The running bass line in You Are Loved is a very good example, it is more apparent with the Atrio than any other IEM I have tried.

With regards to the sheer bass quantity, it is no pushover as well. Bass comes in copious amounts and slams hard, yet it does not spill into any other frequencies. On Dance Floor Anthem and They Don't Want Music, the bass is strong and forceful but not at any time muddy. On large symphonic pieces, the bass instruments are clearly heard as well without covering any other instruments up.

If I were to be very critical, I would have to say that the bass could be just ever so slightly more controlled and tight with slightly more speed. I'm very very happy with the bass of the Atrio, and it is just this very slight lack of control that makes quick drum beats slightly sticky and not quick enough. Overall I would give a solid 9.5/10 for bass.

Mids
The midrange constitutes the bulk of the music so a good midrange is important. With the Atrio, the midrange is decent but not fantastic. The Atrio tends to do better in the mid-bass region more than the upper-midrange, so saxophones and bassoons will have the nice resonance and body to them whereas some higher-pitched female vocals might be slightly recessed. For this reason, the Atrio performs admirably on vocal jazz such as Fly Me To The Moon but falls short in songs like Canto Della Terra where the instruments seem to overwhelm the singers. I feel that the Atrio's mids are generally not as intimate as I would like them to be and on some tracks the vocals seem to be softer than the music.

I like listening to richer female vocals (e.g. Corrinne May, Joanna Wang) so I'm still quite satisfied with the Atrio's presentation of them. Their voices are nicely rendered with enough body and smoothness to them, though I would prefer them to be slightly more intimate with better decay like the SA6.

For instruments such as violin and woodwind instruments which go to the higher midrange, they do lack a sense of realism on the Atrio. They do become a tad recessed, and not as organic and transparent as they are supposed to be. It is difficult to pick out the woodiness of the violin on the Atrio, and this affects the overall pleasure of classical music.

Edit: I gave a longer listen to acoustic guitar tracks again, and I agree now that I should not have called them unrealistic. They have a very good decay and warmth to them, but I still feel they would do better to be slightly more forward.

In summary, the midrange could be a tad more upfront and intimate, with slightly more realism to string instruments that go up to the higher midrange. I give the Atrio 7.5/10 for mids.

Treble
Ah, the well-known "flaw" of the Atrio. Personally, I'm not that affected by the Atrio's treble (or lack of). I am very sensitive to harsh treble and I cannot stand cymbals that are too forward. The treble of the Atrio is very natural, just not sparkly. They don't extend as far as the ER4 but then again, nothing I have heard does. Treble on the Atrio is present, just more recessed and harder to pick out. I can live with the lack of sparkle in the treble, and this can be helped with a brighter amp or EQing. The Atrio's treble is never harsh nor sibilant.

To be honest, the recessed treble and lack of sparkle will affect you depending on the kind of music you listen to. For me, it is not a very big deal. I will give the Atrio 6/10 for highs.

Soundstage, Separation and Imaging
The soundstage of the Atrio is average at most. It is not small per se, it just lacks the air that other IEMs have. This will give you the impression of a small soundstage that is basically "in-your-head". For most of the pop/rock tracks that I listen to, this non-airy soundstage actually surrounds me in the music more making for a very toe-tapping experience. If the mids were slightly more intimate I would be very happy with the soundstage indeed. I have one gripe about the soundstage though, it does not portray depth very well. The depth of the soundstage is more or less from the back of my head to the front, and it does not create a good image of how far the singer is and the instrument positioning. Hence with most songs you can tell if the instrument is "leftish" or "rightish" but not "just behind the singer next to the guitar". IEMs were never fantastic in the imaging area, so I'll take that into consideration. I'll give 7/10 for soundstage and 6/10 for instrument imaging.

Instrument separation is good, but due to its warmth the separation is sacrificed somewhat. You can tell different instruments apart with relative ease, but the lack of crisp separation makes it somewhat harder when more instruments are playing together. I will give 7.5/10 for instrument separation.

Sound signature and Balance
The Atrio has a very warm and fun sound to it, I would go so far as to call it the exact opposite of the (stock) ER4. The stock ER4 is cold sounding, light on the bass, with a clean and transparent midrange and treble. The Atrio is warm, fun sounding, awesome on the bass with an above average midrange and a non-sparkly treble.

The first thing that will strike you when you listen to the Atrio is how natural it makes the music sound. There is nothing very fantastic about the Atrio besides the bass, but the non-fatiguing presentation of the music grows on you and I always find myself listening to it for hours on end. Coming from a silver-cabled SF5P, the separation ended sounding very artificial and displeasing, as if the different parts of the music were recorded separately and merged instead of the whole band/orchestra playing together. This natural presentation of the music is what has kept me safely un-poisoned by new BA IEMs thus far.

One thing to note is that the Atrio has a slightly veiled sound, and this veil does not lift fully even after burn-in. This doesn't make it as dependent on amping and source as other IEMs, and it is more forgiving to poorly recorded tracks.

Value For Money
This is always a tricky question. It's not exactly cheap, but I have no doubt that I made the right choice in buying this. I have yet to be converted back to BA driver IEMs almost twice its cost. I tried it on a few of my tracks and ended up walking out the store with it. :p Even if you think you won't like it, give a burned-in set a chance, you never know. This is fully worth the money I paid for it, no doubt about it.

If you are looking for a rocking IEM for commuting, listen to mostly pop/rock/rap/metal, or want an IEM that sounds good unamped I would strongly recommend the Atrio.

Grand Conclusion
In conclusion, well I can the Atrio isn't the best thing to happen since sliced bread but it is a very strong competitor in the mid-high end IEM range. Do yourself a favour and include this in your "must-try" list when trying IEMs.

I put a lot of hard work into this review, so hoped you enjoyed reading it.
smily_headphones1.gif
Like I said earlier, any constructive opinions would be welcome.

Originally from Jaben forums. Atrio 101 - A Thorough Review

Dec 8, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #1,960 of 2,359
Nicely written, uberburger101. There's some lack of clarity in when you're trying to describe bass quality vs. quantity (you use "quantity" twice) which you might want to address, but overall I agree with nearly all of your observations. Especially noticeable for me lately is the upper midrange veil, though I think that may be due to synergy issues with my Monica 2 DAC in conjunction with my iBasso D1's amp section.

The one thing I would disagree with is the Atrio not doing well with guitar: I find the Atrio's presentation of acoustic guitar to be invigorating. Perhaps there's finer details that are loss due to the treble roll-off, but I always enjoy acoustic guitar with the Atrio more specifically than most instruments.

It may also be worth stating what sources you used for your testing. While, again, I agree with most of your results, the Atrio really does tend to synergize best with neutral or even slightly bright sources. Cowon players are excellent unamped with the Atrio, for example, but these players can be extremely fatiguing with most other IEMs. As pretty much outright stated in the card in one of your photos, you really need to turn off any sound enhancements to get the most from the Atrio, so amps designed to synergize with brighter (ie: most) IEMs may not pair as well with the Atrio. My Tomahawk, for example, can get a bit boomy with the Atrio.

You may also want to try comparing with the higher end Shure IEMs. I tried out someone's E500, and while I preferred the fit and finish of the E500, I found the highs too fatiguing, and still prefer the Atrio.

Again, an excellent review.

Dec 8, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #1,961 of 2,359
Thank you Packgrog for your positive feedback, I will amend my post accordingly. This took 5 long hours to write, and I'm still not very good at describing sound yet.
redface.gif

Hmm, I do still enjoy acoustic guitars with the Atrio tremendously but I prefer them to be slightly more "twangy" and organic like the SE530. My main gripe would be instruments like violins though, they lack their woody realism. Although the bass of Atrio > SE530 IMO.
tongue.gif

Personally, I use the iQube and I have yet to hear a better pairing. I'm hoping the P51 (arriving soon) will bless the Atrio with the last bit of mids it needs.

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #1,962 of 2,359
i too feel not only that guitars are fantastic with the atrio but violins and all string instruments are. the atrio was the first iem that got me listening to anything but trance. however, that may be because it is not the best trance iem. but anything with a string vibration really took off in that iem as sounding natural with perfect decay and warmth. love it.

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #1,963 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i too feel not only that guitars are fantastic with the atrio but violins and all string instruments are. the atrio was the first iem that got me listening to anything but trance. however, that may be because it is not the best trance iem. but anything with a string vibration really took off in that iem as sounding natural with perfect decay and warmth. love it.

I think that the Image X10 makes a better Trance IEM than the Atrio.

Speaking of the X10, the ear gels that Klipsch makes fit perfectly on the Atrio M5, and vice versa. Makes for interesting sound changes for the two.

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #1,964 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of the X10, the ear gels that Klipsch makes fit perfectly on the Atrio M5, and vice versa. Makes for interesting sound changes for the two.

Hmm, mind elaborating on how the Klipsch gels change the sound for the Atrio? Too bad the large biflange of the Klipsch is still too small for my right ear.

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #1,965 of 2,359
I can only use the large single flange gel on the Klipsch (or Atrio).

Basically, the best way to describe the sound change for the Atrio using Klipsch gels is it "smooths" out the midrange, and possibly (I didn't spend too much time comparing, sorry) makes the highs less piercing. However, it's also harder to achieve a good seal.

In contrast, the X10 gains airiness and loses a slight amount of bass with the Atrio double flanges, but it also loses a fair amount of its famous comfort factor and it is harder to get an initial seal that sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back