Futuresonics Atrio M5
Nov 28, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #1,921 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the Olives, reversed. Which version of the Atrios do you have? I found the original ones to be dark and recessed on the treble, but not the V2.

I bought mine end-Sep 08. Just checked the box and it writes 'MG5Pro' drivers as well. No memory wire. Hmm.
confused.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #1,922 of 2,359
After reading up on reviews and this thread, and wanting to try IEMs for the first time after the left speaker on my HD595s went dead, I decided on the Atrios. I received them about two weeks ago and have been listening to them every day since.

My first impression? I couldn't believe how low this bass goes!! I've never heard anything like this before in something so small. It's unbelievable. I've yet to hear any frequency too low for these not to reproduce. They absolutely smash my HD595s in that department, and even beat them in overall clarity (but not in soundstage, as is expected.)

I've had time to burn them in, up to about 40 hours or so as was suggested. I actually didn't notice too much of a difference with burn-in, but I'd say the sound leveled out to be a little more natural overall.

I only get a great seal from the large "Earfills" flanges. I don't find them uncomfortable at all. For me, they give far better sound than the included foams, mainly because I just couldn't get a seal with those.

I haven't heard the SA6s yet, but I am absolutely satisfied with the Atrios. They sound spectacular overall. It's just awesome to be able to watch movies and get that rumbling bass that you'd only expect to get with a dedicated sub. But it wasn't just the bass that blew me away. I expected I wouldn't get very good mids and highs from phones that were so low-end capable. But they shine on the higher frequencies to boot. They don't quite have the separation and sparkle on the highs that the 595s had, but considering the mind-numbingly low bass, I think they do more than well enough on the highs. They've got a very smooth mid-range to them that I've found to be easy on my hearing for long periods of listening. But the fact that I can even compare them to full-size headphones at all should definitely be an indication that these are some bad-ass IEMs!

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #1,923 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought mine end-Sep 08. Just checked the box and it writes 'MG5Pro' drivers as well. No memory wire. Hmm.
confused.gif

No memory wire means you have the V2.

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #1,924 of 2,359
Jpesci-
Glad you're enjoying them. They really hold up to some huge competition too. I currently have the IE8 as my other main earphone, and I cannot decide between them. I think overall I prefer the V2 Atrio to them possibly. The bass, as you say, is just astounding. And the fact that they have very good highs to boot is great. What the IE8 has is some extra refinement in the mids, and the huge soundstage. So they have a bit more of a lush sound signature. However they're almost 2.5X the price. That just speaks to what Future Sonics has achieved with them.

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #1,925 of 2,359
Didn't get those Westone 3s yet, huh? I have a hard time believing the bass on those babies isn't going to have you selling off those Atrios (again). Just a hunch. I listened to the 3s for 30 minutes last night, and I was blown away. And not an ounce of flab. I may even have to EQ it down a notch, to be honest. But I digresss...didn't mean to hijack the thread. I eagerly look forward to your view of the 3s compared to the M5s.

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #1,926 of 2,359
Yeah, I was reading your initial impressions over at the expected release date thread. They do sound promising. I think mine are arriving on Monday (not as fotunate as you in getting that early shipping, from Freqcity). So I have the whole weekend to stew about it. I'm not sure where I'll put the review... maybe a 3-way comparison in a new W3 thread, and then post links to the review both here, and in the Sennheiser IE8 thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't get those Westone 3s yet, huh? I have a hard time believing the bass on those babies isn't going to have you selling off those Atrios (again). Just a hunch. I listened to the 3s for 30 minutes last night, and I was blown away. And not an ounce of flab. I may even have to EQ it down a notch, to be honest. But I digresss...didn't mean to hijack the thread. I eagerly look forward to your view of the 3s compared to the M5s.

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #1,927 of 2,359
Just wanted to give some credit to Futuresonic's customer service. I've had my M5's since July 07, and the rubber at the base of my drivers was wearing off significantly. It bothered me, so I emailed Futuresonic and they are sending me the new v2, even though I am out of the one year warranty period!

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #1,928 of 2,359
I just got a pair of Atrio's and here is my quick review\impressions compared to the Super.fi EB5's

I'm an admitted bass head but not because I listen to rap or hop hop. I mainly listen to classic rock. I'm also a pretty big audiophile my home system runs around $25,000 with Lexicon, Bryston, Magnepan and Anthony Gallo components.

My goal for an IEM was to get as close to a home stereo sound on the go. My main problem with IEM's were lack of bass and very puny sounding. Most of them sound like am radio's compared to my home system.

Enter in the Super.Fi EB 5's, these have the bass and thump of a real stereo system, they do tend to lack warmth and are a bit muddy but they still sound pretty good. High and mids are not bad at all and I think these get a bad rap as people tend to dismiss them only for rap lovers. I've been fairly happy with them. I can listen to them and not completely miss my home stereo which no other IEM has been able to accomplish.

Today I got a pair of Atrio's. After reading here people have said they have good bass and a better more natural sound that the EB 5's.

So far so good. They do sound fairly warm out of the box and have good detail in the mids and highs. The bass is pretty good but a notch below the EB 5's and the mid range bass is lacking compared to them as well.

Also since the EB 5 wires are not directly connected to the actual speaker\armature of the IEM's micorphonics are much better with the EB5's.

The Atrio's are not bad at all and after burn in may be able to replace my EB5's they have the potential to sound like a real home stereo in your ears but I think the EB 5's do not deserve it's non audiophile label that some here give it.

The Atrio's definitely fit better and are MUCH smaller and more comfortable. They fit my ear so much better and I do not have to fuss with the fit like I have to on the EB5's.

So the Atrio wins so far on mids and high's but loses by a decent margin in bass and microphonics to the EB5's. The Atrio's fit better and would be better for mobile use. The Atrio's also have a better soundstage are more wide open in sound than the EB5's

If the Atrio's just had a touch more bass they would probably be perfect.

Of course they may hit that mark after more burn in.

My source equipment is an un amped Zune30 with an upgraded 100Gb hard drive using only lossless audio files alos using the acoustic EQ setting.

Since these two are considered the Bass champions in IEM I'm pretty much going to have to stick with both of them. It is a shame that an IEM maker can't come up with a better design to meet the needs of us who want a real home stereo sound in an IEM.

I simply could not deal with the lesser IEM's or earbuds with puny and inadequate bass like most of the ones I have heard.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #1,929 of 2,359
Good review there, swanlee. Glad that you're enjoying them, I sure am.
wink.gif
From what I remember, the Atrio's bass does get deeper and more defined after burn-in, instead of just a vague cloud of "boom".

I won't call these IEMs reference-grade since they're not as transparent as others such as the ER4 but I definitely think they're absolutely fantastic for commuting. Try not to move about that much on the bus though.
tongue.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #1,930 of 2,359
Dec 2, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #1,932 of 2,359
I don't think they sell the V1 anymore? But this is a damn good deal. Too bad when I try it it comes out at $100 AUD shipping which isn't worth it. If anybody is buying one today, PM me and I'll be glad to take one off you (paid of course..). This is assuming it is version 2 of the Atrio M5.

Somebody buy an extra pair =(

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #1,935 of 2,359
wow that is a pretty sick deal. i got my v2 for about $120 shipped. at first i didnt like them, thought they were too bassy. now they seem to have gone down considerably (more comfortable/reasonable level). this is after a lot of burn in haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back