Futuresonics Atrio M5
Nov 25, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #1,906 of 2,359
in my experience, i find that the shure e2c tips dont fit with the atrio m5, as they are too big, especially the clear silicon ones. i would have to agree with others that the clear silicons are hard, and are definitel not something i would recommend.

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #1,907 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8 pretty has most of the extension and the slam of the Atrio, just missing that tiny last bit of very low frequency extension (the kind that gives you goosebumps
wink.gif
).

I know what you mean. I've been listening to Peter Gabriel Up today, and in track 7 there's some of that ultra low sub bass around 3:45 that is so nicely handled by the Atrios. The IE8 just sort of hinted at it, whereas with the Atrio it's like a solid concrete foundation supporting the rest of the range.

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #1,908 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know what you mean. I've been listening to Peter Gabriel Up today, and in track 7 there's some of that ultra low sub bass around 3:45 that is so nicely handled by the Atrios. The IE8 just sort of hinted at it, whereas with the Atrio it's like a solid concrete foundation supporting the rest of the range.

This extension is the reason why I'm still keeping the Atrio after listening to the IE8 and the W3. Well, I've been using the reversed olives for a couple of days now, noticed that the mids are much better than on the Softflex but the sound tends to sound more muffled. Perhaps I should try large olives, or custom tips?
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #1,909 of 2,359
Quote:

This extension is the reason why I'm still keeping the Atrio after listening to the IE8 and the W3. Well, I've been using the reversed olives for a couple of days now, noticed that the mids are much better than on the Softflex but the sound tends to sound more muffled. Perhaps I should try large olives, or custom tips?
tongue.gif

You have heard the Westone 3s? And you prefer the Atrios over the IE8s and the Westones?

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #1,910 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have heard the Westone 3s? And you prefer the Atrios over the IE8s and the Westones?

Well, personally I found the W3 very musical but there was nothing in it extremely outstanding. Maybe I had hoped it would destroy everything in it's path, but from what I could tell I can call it very good but I wouldn't pay 3 times the price of my Atrio to get it.

Simply put, it didn't exactly give me the OMG feeling to justify the OMG price.

My 2 cents.

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #1,911 of 2,359
I guess because I paid $260 for the Westones (via MS Cashback and an ebay coupon), and the Atrios are at least $160 these days, not as concerned. I owned the Atrios, in fact was among the early owners here on Head-Fi, but I sold them when I picked up the Sleeks. Just wasn't using the M5s any more. Looking forward to the Westones, and recently shed the Sleeks to make room. Plus, I find the Klipsch X10s to also be a very good IEM, a keeper. Just wondered about the reasons why you chose the Atrios over the IE8s and W3s. I also really liked the M5s, but felt they were outperformed by more balanced phones like the Sleeks and the X10s.

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #1,912 of 2,359
Well, the W3 are certainly cheaper over your side so good for you. It's probably my choice of music, I listen to mostly mainstream pop and rock hence the Atrio is very suited for me.

I liked the IE8 greatly, it impressed me more than the W3 because it just had more oomph in the bass compared to the W3. Let's just say I would get the IE8 if I had the money but I'd rather save for a pair of customs.
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #1,913 of 2,359
Quote:

Well, the W3 are certainly cheaper over your side so good for you. It's probably my choice of music, I listen to mostly mainstream pop and rock hence the Atrio is very suited for me.

I liked the IE8 greatly, it impressed me more than the W3 because it just had more oomph in the bass compared to the W3. Let's just say I would get the IE8 if I had the money but I'd rather save for a pair of customs.
wink.gif

Sheesh, this is all so bizarre sometimes, how people hear things. I've got the IE8 & the v2 Atrio, and I'm finding the new Atrio to be an overall more enjoyable phone to listen with. So, I'm hoping that I hear the W3 in a better light. I've been planning on returning/selling the IE8 once the W3 gets here. But, if I find the W3 to be that lacking, as you've described, then it'll get returned as well as the IE8 and I'll be left with the Atrio as my main phone. How funny would that be?

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #1,914 of 2,359
That would be weird, but hey, it happens. Do you wish you had held onto your X10s now, as an alternative to the Atrios now and then? Of course, that is getting ahead of the game. I am just expecting the Westones to be a better overall, more balanced phone than any of my previous IEMs, not to blow them away. If that happens, I will be happy. I know you had no patience for the Custom 3s, but I took someone's advice and moved to the small olives, and now they really sound good to my ears. Sometimes, some of us act (and feel) like lemmings, no? I'm not afraid to admit it. But it's part of the fun of this crazy hobby. On the other hand, several other Head Fi'ers really do find the Westone 3s to be all that. Only time will tell.

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #1,915 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be weird, but hey, it happens. Do you wish you had held onto your X10s now, as an alternative to the Atrios now and then? Of course, that is getting ahead of the game. I am just expecting the Westones to be a better overall, more balanced phone than any of my previous IEMs, not to blow them away. If that happens, I will be happy. I know you had no patience for the Custom 3s, but I took someone's advice and moved to the small olives, and now they really sound good to my ears. Sometimes, some of us act (and feel) like lemmings, no? I'm not afraid to admit it. But it's part of the fun of this crazy hobby. On the other hand, several other Head Fi'ers really do find the Westone 3s to be all that. Only time will tell.

I think from what I'm hearing with the newer Atrio that the X10 would not have held up by comparison. This Atrio has a lot more treble detail and energy than I anticipated it would. Imagine how solid of a little earphone that makes them, with their bass foundation still there. The Atrio may still not have that supreme relaxed smoothness to the overall detail and treble that the X10 did, but it is sooooo much better on bass. And the treble resolution is there now. I agree that there's some long-standing members of Head-Fi that have found the Westone 3 to be very very good. I'm in particular looking forward to Headphoneaddict's big comparison that's coming shortly. I'll be adding my impressions of the IE8/Atrio/W3 soon too.

I'd almost encourage you to pick up another pair of the Atrios to see what you think of the V2. I think you'd enjoy them, and at about $179 (I'm sure there will be sales and discounts from time to time) they're a total steal, especially considering how much better this pair is than the first.

Regarding tips, I'm also sort of wishing I still had the TF10's on hand to try the Sennheiser tips with. I had all sorts of trouble getting the seal to stick in my right ear, and therefore grew annoyed with them. The shiny black foamies from the IE8 would fit for sure (soozieq is using them on her TF, I know), and I bet they'd stay in place a lot better. If I could have achieved a good seal, I think those would be one of my all time favorites to date.
frown.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #1,916 of 2,359
You're using Softflex tips currently with your Atrio, cn11? Because you keep referring to your pair of Atrio having treble energy and detail which my pair seems to lack.
frown.gif

Perhaps it's my reversed olives? But I've never found the Atrio to be strong at treble.

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #1,917 of 2,359
Quote:

You're using Softflex tips currently with your Atrio, cn11? Because you keep referring to your pair of Atrio having treble energy and detail which my pair seems to lack.
frown.gif

Perhaps it's my reversed olives? But I've never found the Atrio to be strong at treble.

I am using the Olives, reversed. Which version of the Atrios do you have? I found the original ones to be dark and recessed on the treble, but not the V2.

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #1,918 of 2,359
Wow, sounds like maybe they finally fixed that balance issue. The new colors are nice. I like the ruby red. Now all they have to do is release a higher end version with their better driver. I would go for that if it wasn't too expensive.

Nov 27, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #1,919 of 2,359
The driver in their more professional monitors is higher end? I'd love to pick up a pair of them, in a universal, if they'd develop it. I've been thinking to myself lately that it's time they make an even more high end universal earphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back