Futuresonics Atrio M5
Aug 12, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #1,698 of 2,359
but does it loose sound quality, from not using the silicon bi-flanges which I have a feeling that when fitted correctly, gives of the most bass

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #1,699 of 2,359
I don't sense any degradation in sound quality using the Shure gray soft flex sleeves, which is my Atrio tip of choice. Certainly no shortage of bass.

Aug 13, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #1,700 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a real turn off, this might be a design flaw

I think it is. I was just wondering how a stick sticking out from the future sonics can twist etc to the ear canal. I think the flaw is with the body if thats the case. But i haven't got it yet. I hope i won't get this problem. maybe some unique ears or something.

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #1,701 of 2,359
Quote:

but does it loose sound quality, from not using the silicon bi-flanges which I have a feeling that when fitted correctly, gives of the most bass

LOL! No.

The flanges are the most durable tips, and as such the ones that the Atrio are shipped with, but few people actually use them. They have the worst sound, and aren't very comfortable for extended listening. But then, that's the case for ANY silicon tips.

The best sound quality and comfort is to be had with foamies. I switched back to Future Sonics foamies after trying out the Etymotics gray/black foamies (which were much less durable and not as well made as the FS foamies), and since the FS foams are a tighter fit in my ears when new, I immediately noticed THUNDEROUS bass.

Put simply, silicon tips are meant as a more durable stop-gap. They will NEVER provide the quality of seal, sound, or comfort you get with foamies. It's very much like the difference between cheap tires that last 50K miles but drive like crap, vs. sticky summer tires that wear out after 10K miles but provide insane performance.

So don't expect to ever get a perfect fit/sound with any flange tip, regardless of who made them. They will never match the performance of foamies.

Aug 13, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #1,702 of 2,359
well that really put things into prespective. what really worries me is the whole, "having bad days not being able to get a good seal untill I try for after 20 minutes scenario." Is this really common or is it just for people who have never used IEMs before. Its rweally down between Atrios M5 and Sleek but I just want the one that is more for Classic Rock.

Aug 13, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #1,704 of 2,359
Quote:

well that really put things into prespective. what really worries me is the whole, "having bad days not being able to get a good seal untill I try for after 20 minutes scenario." Is this really common or is it just for people who have never used IEMs before. Its rweally down between Atrios M5 and Sleek but I just want the one that is more for Classic Rock.

I couldn't really get on with the stock bi-flanges. Actually, that's a bit of an understatement. I absolutely hated them! I couldn't get a good seal at all and they were very uncomfortable. The next ones I tried were Shure Grey silicon tips. These were a lot better, they preserved the sound almost perfectly (plus the bass was actually present because I could get a seal, unlike with the stock bi-flanges), however they still weren't as comfortable as I'd have liked. I then tried the Shure Black Foams (olives) which are very comfortable and easy to insert but the sound it muffled a little bit.

FS Foams
+ Very comfortable
+ Perfect sound quality
- Short shelf life
- A little difficult to insert/remove

Shure Black Foams (Olives)
+ Very Comfortable
+ Easy to insert/remove
+ Long shelf life for foamies
- Sound quality deteriorated a bit
- Still disposable (though I've been using the same pair for several months)

FS Bi-Flanges
+ Very good sound quality (if you can insert them correctly, but for me these gave the worst sound quality)
+ Not disposable
- Uncomfortable (for me)

Shure Grey Silicon Flanges
+ Very good sound quality
+ Not disposable
- A little uncomfortable

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #1,705 of 2,359
yah the FS foams sound the best. I tried using the complys and although its v comfy it makes the sound too 'piercing' for me
frown.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #1,706 of 2,359
For me the FS foamies and bi-flanges sound the same.

The bi-flanges are only uncomfortable (for me) if I am moving my head around a lot... But for most of my listening they are my tip of choice.

I love the comfort of the olives, but I feel that they wreck the highs and the bass is a little less defined.

Each to their own I guess
smily_headphones1.gif

Paul

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #1,707 of 2,359
I bought the Shure Olives at the same time I ordered my M5's and after first trying out the flanges, I was glad I bought the Olives. Makes a huge difference and haven't noticed the muffeled sound that Mansize_tissue mentioned. Maybe the overall sound gets a bit darker because you have a much better seal, but that's exactly to my personal preference as I listen alot to hiphop and enjoy tight deep bass. Actually I enjoy the M5's so much that when I get home I sometimes just keep wearing them for a while and listen to a few extra tracks.

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #1,708 of 2,359
I think the only usable thing in the entire Atrio package is the Atrios themselves! The sleeves and case are crappy. I'm using the Shure Grey Flex Sleeves now. The triple flanges are not bad too but are a little harder to insert.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #1,709 of 2,359
ANyone here has owned the RE-1s(unamped) before? how do they compare to the atrios?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back