Futuresonics Atrio M5
Aug 7, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #1,666 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's not just a matter of a poor fit/seal in one ear, then definitely. Did you try switching ears to make sure the weak sound travels with the appropriate earpiece?

I'm using some Shure foamies so the seal is as good as can be.

I'm going to listen to some more music tonight to be 100% sure.

It's like the sound is coming more from the front right but if I listen through my old sennheisers or other headphones the sound is perfectly balanced.

Aug 7, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #1,667 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. It's DIFFERENT, but it's quite impressive.

mm. Like how different anyway? Is its sound stage also better than vibes or re 1 and re 2? if not then is it sufficient enough to notice mmm, like it's coming from in front behind?

I am going to order this on September and would like to clear my doubts first.
Can't wait to get this though.

Aug 7, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #1,668 of 2,359
The soundstage of IEMs is different from full-sized headphones in that with headphones the sound seems to go around outside your head, whereas with IEMs it seems like it's inside your head ('cause it IS). Think of it as the difference between headphones and speakers. It's simply a difference of how the sound is presented.

As far as quality of sound, the closest full-size I've ever heard is the Sennheiser HD650. The Senns have a lot more potential for truly GREAT sound when used with better sources, but they're also more limited (you can really only use them with a dedicated system in a quiet environment, unlike IEMs which you can use everywhere except when driving). If money were no object, I'd recommend that people who like the Sennheiser sound should use the HD650 in a listening room (or the HD600, which some people seem to prefer, but I've never heard), and the Future Sonics Atrio for portable duty. They're similar in their more "natural" sound signature, as opposed to the very analytical sound of phones like the AKG K701 or Etymotics IEMs.

As far as soundstage with the Atrio, it's no slouch. As I stated in a recent post, after taking a break from the Atrio for a week or two, and using the EM3 (Future Sonics' old IEM) with a more analytical source/amp (the iBasso D1 v2), then trying the Atrio with a lesser source/amp (RSA Tomahawk from Compaq N410c line-out), the improvement of the Atrio's soundstage was IMMEDIATELY noticeable. The Atrio has very nice width and depth in the soundstage, and excellent instrument positioning with a good source. Pink Floyd's The Final Cut and Bjork's Debut are actually fairly distracting to listen to while trying to work since they come across so realistically.
smily_headphones1.gif

There may be other IEMs with more detailed soundstaging. Most of the others I've tried have been unpleasantly bright for my taste, however (ie: Shure E500, I've yet to try the Etymotics ER-4 since I hated the ER-6). The Atrio is still quite detailed, but it's simply more natural and relaxed, as opposed to being harsh and analytical.

Hope that helps clear things up a bit.

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #1,669 of 2,359
That's sufficient information. now i hope i can get it by September.
Thanks alot!

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #1,670 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pink Floyd's The Final Cut and Bjork's Debut are actually fairly distracting to listen to while trying to work since they come across so realistically.
smily_headphones1.gif

I use The Final Cut as one of my main evaluators of headphones, especially the coins at the beginning (to see if the system "creates objects", something which is of prime importance to me): can you hear that it's coins? can you position them? The Atrios pass that test (on my D2).

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #1,671 of 2,359
Oh just want to add in. The detailed part could easily be equalized ain't it? So the main issue is just soundstage. At least, I think, it is the only permanent thing that an earphone has then can't be adjusted. Maybe quality bass too.
Also, the detailed soundstaging part(to packgrog) will increasing the bar on the guitars on the equalizer pay up for that or do you mean the real soundstage?

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #1,672 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use The Final Cut as one of my main evaluators of headphones, especially the coins at the beginning (to see if the system "creates objects", something which is of prime importance to me): can you hear that it's coins? can you position them? The Atrios pass that test (on my D2).

How rain sounds is also a good indicator. Does it sound like rain or sizzling bacon....

There's a Smiths song with rain (can recall the exact track)....sounds like rain with the Atrios....on my EC2 it sounds like sizzling bacon...
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #1,673 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This probably also depends on the MP3 player you have.

FWIW, I used a Cowon D2 > Headsix > Atrio combination, and the amp didn't do much for the Atrios than what the powerful D2 did on its own. I'm sure an amp would help a lot if you use an iPod, though.

I do use an iPod, and the HeadSix is on my short list of possibilities. Do others think this would be a worthwhile purchase, or have you all been generally happy with the sound of unamped Atrios?

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #1,674 of 2,359
Quote:

FWIW, I used a Cowon D2 > Headsix > Atrio combination, and the amp didn't do much for the Atrios than what the powerful D2 did on its own. I'm sure an amp would help a lot if you use an iPod, though.

I do use an iPod, and the HeadSix is on my short list of possibilities. Do others think this would be a worthwhile purchase, or have you all been generally happy with the sound of unamped Atrios? Any other recommendations/experiences to share?

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #1,675 of 2,359
Quote:

I do use an iPod, and the HeadSix is on my short list of possibilities. Do others think this would be a worthwhile purchase, or have you all been generally happy with the sound of unamped Atrios? Any other recommendations/experiences to share?

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #1,676 of 2,359
Whoops... sorry, I'm in China right now, awful internet connection, didn't mean to post 3 times...

Aug 10, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #1,678 of 2,359
Hey guys,

Do these sound anything like the V-moda Vibes? I know it has been stated that they are a significant step up from the Vibes but are the sound signature the same or different? I have the 1st Generation V-moda Vibes.

Thanks in Advance,

Izzy

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #1,680 of 2,359
Quote:

The Vibes don't have the same amount of bass, but other than that you could say they're quite similar.

Hi dfkt

I noticed you also have se530's. I recently lost my 530's (think they fell out of my laptop bag on the bus)
frown.gif
Anyway im considering m5's as a replacement.

How do the M5's compare to se530? I loved my 530's although im interested in the m5's often said to be "natural" sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back