Futuresonics Atrio M5
Feb 26, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #1,351 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendrickson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With my first pair of M5's I just used music. With my replacement set (I broke the first one) I used pink noise and a 2 minute digital silence track. The 2nd time around they seemed to go through their changes quicker. I would recommend using the pink noise method at a volume just slightly higher than comfortable listening.

Download tracks 58 and 59 from here and loop them.

I bought mine from RoadDog, my initial offer was $120 which they refused, so I tried $130. They refused that offer as well stating that supply was low. I ended up paying $140. Start low, you can always come up from your initial offer.

Thanks for the info. Yeah i offered $130, and then reoffered that I pay $140 so I accepted and I got them for $140 + $10 shipping. Not bad
biggrin.gif

Can't wait to get these, and yes I will loop pink noise tracks 58 and 59, above the normal listening volume. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Also, What ear tips are good for these? besides ones that come with them??

Feb 26, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #1,352 of 2,359
I recommed the Shure yellow foamies, which are for the E2C (available on ebay for $20 for 10 pair). They are short, and barely cover the sound tube, but for me, they are the perfect Atrio tip. Others might not agree, andsay the Shure olives (black foamies) or the shure soft flex (gray silicone tips). You can even use Comply tips. But again, I find the yellow Shures the best. YMMV.

Feb 26, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #1,353 of 2,359
I thought I really liked the double flanges that came with them when I got the M5's, then I switched to the Comply Slims and loved the comfort of them, and now I'm back to double flanges. *shrug* I think my ear canal has changed in size since I started wearing IEM's and is still changing...or something.

I'm still undecided...I like em both.

Feb 26, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #1,354 of 2,359
Elluzion -- you might as well use (use up?) the Future Sonics foamies that come with the earphones ... in my opinion, they're comfortable and good sounding, even if they won't last nearly as long as you might wish. They're a good way to get used to the fit and sound of the Atrios. Whether you replace them with more Future Sonics foamies is up to you, of course. I like the Comply regulars (haven't tried the Comply shorts on them yet) and the black Shure foamies (the black Shures will last the longest, and would be good for heavy day-to-day use). Haven't tried the Shure yellow foamies on them yet, either. And remember that handling foamies can cause wear and get them dirty, too -- not just when they're in the ears.

I had originally gotten the M5s for travel, mostly, but I've found that I like them the more I hear them (always a good thing, right?). They are spoiling me, in that I pay more attention now to the shortcomings of lesser in-ears. I've started using them in cases where I used to use simpler canal phones, such as when washing dishes. So I will find myself going through foamies faster than I had anticipated ... but I have a stock of foamies and will be glad to use them up.

The Future Sonics are a pleasure to listen to -- even with an unamped iPod Nano. They pair very well with a variety of players, including the Creative Zen Stone, Rio Carbon, and especially the Sansa Clip. I haven't tried them with my Rio Karma yet ... I might need a cigarette afterwards.

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #1,355 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendrickson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I really liked the double flanges that came with them when I got the M5's, then I switched to the Comply Slims and loved the comfort of them, and now I'm back to double flanges. *shrug* I think my ear canal has changed in size since I started wearing IEM's and is still changing...or something.

I'm still undecided...I like em both.

I now make my own foamies using the "EARsoft" earplugs, they are so comfy and isolate like nothing else. They also sound much better than shure black foamies and last much longer than the FS foamies, and at a total cost of $1 per pair, you just can't beat the value for money (or in my case, I use a pair for 2 weeks now instead of trying to stretch it out to 3 weeks or more!)

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #1,356 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elluzion -- you might as well use (use up?) the Future Sonics foamies that come with the earphones ... in my opinion, they're comfortable and good sounding, even if they won't last nearly as long as you might wish. They're a good way to get used to the fit and sound of the Atrios. Whether you replace them with more Future Sonics foamies is up to you, of course. I like the Comply regulars (haven't tried the Comply shorts on them yet) and the black Shure foamies (the black Shures will last the longest, and would be good for heavy day-to-day use). Haven't tried the Shure yellow foamies on them yet, either. And remember that handling foamies can cause wear and get them dirty, too -- not just when they're in the ears.

I had originally gotten the M5s for travel, mostly, but I've found that I like them the more I hear them (always a good thing, right?). They are spoiling me, in that I pay more attention now to the shortcomings of lesser in-ears. I've started using them in cases where I used to use simpler canal phones, such as when washing dishes. So I will find myself going through foamies faster than I had anticipated ... but I have a stock of foamies and will be glad to use them up.

The Future Sonics are a pleasure to listen to -- even with an unamped iPod Nano. They pair very well with a variety of players, including the Creative Zen Stone, Rio Carbon, and especially the Sansa Clip. I haven't tried them with my Rio Karma yet ... I might need a cigarette afterwards.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get mine as I said before. I will try out the foamies and flanges that come with them and see how they seal/sound, differences, etc.

I am pairing this with my 5th gen 30gig video. Unamped
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

PS. my phones shipped today. I will try to post pics and a review once I get them

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #1,358 of 2,359
they don't howl like the denon but they do make noise. the hole they have is more protected by the driver unit and/or your ear depending on size.

but they will pick up noise. it is a dyniammic driver so there must be an opening for it to produce music well. some use it to tune bass and others for other tuning but i think that this is probably for bass.

Feb 28, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #1,359 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question, how do these handle wind noise? For example, when I'm outside on a windy day the wind howls like mad with my C700's on.

For me, they don't howl at all. The only sound you hear when it's windy is the wind beating against the IEM, demanding to be let in, only to be shut out by the M5's isolation, and of course, the music you're listening to. So no howling.

Feb 28, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #1,360 of 2,359
oh my goodness, these absolutely destroy the e2c in every single category. So glad I picked these up instead of the SF5pros...the bass is plenty with the Atrios.

Feb 28, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #1,363 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by irdepesca572 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these Shure foamies good with the M5?

Link

I wasnt a fan...they muddy up the bass and lose some of the high end. I really liked the FS foamies, which retain the sound sig but dont last long.

I just make my own foamies now, frmo the EARsoft earplugs, they are comfy, isolate and there is no wind howl at all.

Feb 28, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #1,364 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasnt a fan...they muddy up the bass and lose some of the high end. I really liked the FS foamies, which retain the sound sig but dont last long.

I just make my own foamies now, frmo the EARsoft earplugs, they are comfy, isolate and there is no wind howl at all.

Where do you get those ?

Feb 28, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #1,365 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr3sH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do you get those ?

this seller has the best prices I could find for this brand of earplugs...

eBay Seller: greeninil: Safety, Security, Business, Industrial items on eBay Australia

Just use the tubing from old foamies and use a hot nail to bore the hole through the earplug, then just slide it over the tube and you are done...it really is simple and cheap but most importantly, you can "customise" the foamie...eg. I prefer my foamie to be short (like the short complys) so I shop them to about 60% of the original length, excess tubing just sticks out the bottom of the foamie which is no big deal, as long as the top of the tube is slightly shorter than the foamie to prevent it scratching your ear canal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back