Futuresonics Atrio M5
Feb 28, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #1,366 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this seller has the best prices I could find for this brand of earplugs...

eBay Seller: greeninil: Safety, Security, Business, Industrial items on eBay Australia

Just use the tubing from old foamies and use a hot nail to bore the hole through the earplug, then just slide it over the tube and you are done...it really is simple and cheap but most importantly, you can "customise" the foamie...eg. I prefer my foamie to be short (like the short complys) so I shop them to about 60% of the original length, excess tubing just sticks out the bottom of the foamie which is no big deal, as long as the top of the tube is slightly shorter than the foamie to prevent it scratching your ear canal.

That's very cheap. about $10 for 50 pairs. How long do they last ? I have never removed the tubing from foamies, is it easy ?

Feb 29, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #1,367 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendrickson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With my first pair of M5's I just used music. With my replacement set (I broke the first one) I used pink noise and a 2 minute digital silence track. The 2nd time around they seemed to go through their changes quicker. I would recommend using the pink noise method at a volume just slightly higher than comfortable listening.

Download tracks 58 and 59 from here and loop them.

I bought mine from RoadDog, my initial offer was $120 which they refused, so I tried $130. They refused that offer as well stating that supply was low. I ended up paying $140. Start low, you can always come up from your initial offer.

so just play those 2 and loop them??? above comfortable listening volume, for the pink noise.... how long should i do this for?/

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #1,368 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr3sH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's very cheap. about $10 for 50 pairs. How long do they last ? I have never removed the tubing from foamies, is it easy ?

yes its very cheap! Ive used mine for 2 weeks and it will go a few more days and then ill replace.

Taking the tube out is easy, just rip the old foamie off it.

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #1,369 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just use the tubing from old foamies and use a hot nail to bore the hole through the earplug, then just slide it over the tube and you are done...it really is simple and cheap but most importantly, you can "customise" the foamie...eg. I prefer my foamie to be short (like the short complys) so I shop them to about 60% of the original length, excess tubing just sticks out the bottom of the foamie which is no big deal, as long as the top of the tube is slightly shorter than the foamie to prevent it scratching your ear canal.

navmau, could you go into a little more detail regarding your "hot nail" method of boring through the earplug? For instance, what do you use to heat it up, and what size nail are you using?

Feb 29, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #1,370 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
navmau, could you go into a little more detail regarding your "hot nail" method of boring through the earplug? For instance, what do you use to heat it up, and what size nail are you using?

I wonder the same thing. What size? method???

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #1,371 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so just play those 2 and loop them??? above comfortable listening volume, for the pink noise.... how long should i do this for?/

Yes, just loop them. You have 20 minutes of pink noise, and then 2 minutes of digital silence to allow the drivers to "rest" (not sure if this makes a difference). I looped that for probably a total of 60-80 hours and I listened to them in between.

The generally accepted length of burn-in for these is about 100 hours. I noticed the most change around 50-60 hours and from there it seemed pretty much static.

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #1,372 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendrickson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, just loop them. You have 20 minutes of pink noise, and then 2 minutes of digital silence to allow the drivers to "rest" (not sure if this makes a difference). I looped that for probably a total of 60-80 hours and I listened to them in between.

The generally accepted length of burn-in for these is about 100 hours. I noticed the most change around 50-60 hours and from there it seemed pretty much static.

ok thanks. well i get them today so I have the tracks ready for it. So you are saying it will sound better after aburn in of pink noise rather than just listening to music?

I just want to get the best possible sound I can. Anyone have any other burn in tracks/techniques besides tracks 58 (20min pink) and 59 (2min silence)???

tHANKS

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #1,374 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you are saying it will sound better after aburn in of pink noise rather than just listening to music?

No, most likely not. It's all the same - pink noise might be "faster", but the end result should be the same. However, with brutal burn-in you might take the chance of damaging the drivers, which won't happen with normal listening.

I once did a little experiment, with two identical fresh phones: one I listened to normally, the other one I let burn in with pink noise. Pink noise (maybe) settled the drivers down faster (of course, when it runs 24/7), but the one I listened to normally seemed to have more clarity afterwards. It might have been a difference in the manufacturing margins though, since both phones were MylarOne X3i, which aren't famed for good build quality.

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #1,375 of 2,359
^i decided to not do pink noise. it sounds amazing as is. I will have to post pictures and make a new thread today.

QUESTION: How will the futuresonic m5/m8 do with an amp? is it worth it to get an amp??

I have $150 i could either get another pair of headphones for $300 or get an Amp + LOD for my ipod...

What should i do?

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #1,376 of 2,359
I like the portability of just a DAP and the Future Sonics ... but that runs against much of the Head-Fi philosophy. Even with "just" an iPod Nano, the Atrios are that good, IMO. With EQ'able players, you can reach bass overkill, if that's what you want.

Atrio owners who use amps report an improvement in sound, if that's what you're wondering.

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #1,378 of 2,359
Any amp will improve the bass and crosstalk for the Atrios - since most portable players don't work well with low-impedance phones. So amps don't actually improve the phones, but the crappy players.

If you have a powerful portable player (like the 74mW Cowon D2 or something similar) an impedance adapter might give the same results as an amp.

RightMark Audio Analyzer test: comparison
RightMark Audio Analyzer test: comparison

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #1,379 of 2,359
^so in my position an amp wouldn't really be worth it/.? well what should I invest in then? $150, a pair of atrio m8, and a 30gb ipod 5th gen

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #1,380 of 2,359
Damn you all..... I didn't want to spend this much on a set again.

My last pair - Shure E2's I bought when I registered here 2 years ago. I didn't believe in paying more than $15 for anything to listen to music on a portable player until a guy at work let me try these goofy looking things that I later found out to be Grado SR-60's.

That changed everything. I had to have something that sounded good and was more portable than those great sounding, but not so fashion concious things.

Here I am 2 years later and my trusty shure's have gone missing....something about teenage kids and mp3 players.....

Anyway I was looking for some more Shure's (was debating E3c's or E4c's or the Superfi 5 Pro) and stumbled back over here for reviews and other options.

Then I stumble upon this thread and after reading through almost every post, finding as much info as I can I decided to go with the Atrio's here.

Anyway, they arrive next Monday and I am looking forward to them as much as I anticipated the Shure's arrival.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back