Futuresonics Atrio M5
Oct 11, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #857 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But yes, the FS1 one is/was MADE by Future Sonics, and marketed by XtremeMac. I'm sure their fine, and I'd take them over any Shure or Etymotics IEMs any day (I find those other brands too fatiguing and bright), but I really do prefer the Atrio in every respect. The Atrio is all I use now.

I'd like to have some $$ to spend for the purpose of trying myself those Ety and Shure iems considered on the same level as the Atrio or even "superior". But it's not a priority and per the reviews, I do not miss much!
evil_smiley.gif

I too only use the Atrio presently. The only music that I have found not appropriate for iems is Opeth growls! I purchased some closed headphone specially for that.
orphsmile.gif

regards,

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #858 of 2,359
You're kidding. Opeth sounds great to me on the Atrio (one of my favorite bands, BTW). What exactly do you find lacking? I wonder if your source might be a contributing factor as well, as my Cowon A2 can't touch the quality and depth of my Monica 2 DAC with the Tomahawk.

Now, with regards to other IEMs, I've personally tried the Etymotics ER-6 and the Shure E500. The former I owned and hated, and were what originally prompted me to buy the Future Sonics EM3, which I immediately loved (again, the Atrio pimp-slaps the EM3, so my praise for them is saying something).

The Shure E500 belonged to another Head-Fi user (Laxx) that I used to work with. The build quality of the E500 is definitely better. I LOVE the casing and detachable cable sections on the E500. Gorgeous. But I prefer the sound of the Atrio. The E500 is harsh in comparison; more fatiguing due to brighter highs. I find the Atrio just as detailed, or at least enough for my taste, without the fatiguing highs. The soundstage is about the same, as is the low-end. I'd honestly say that the trade-off with the sound difference is that the E500 might be a LITTLE more detailed, but you get that at the expense of greater fatigue. I listen comfortably for hours with the Atrio, something I really couldn't do with the E500. Ah well, saved me double the cost, yes?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #859 of 2,359
Opeth's Damnation is very fine with the M8. Blackwater on the other hand tended to twist my ear canals!
wink.gif
Imagine what Morningrise and ...Hearse will do.
basshead.gif
I just discoverd Opeth through a friend and I am happily surprise with what I hear. I listened to DVD Lamentation and it's the "picture" I had of this progressive group.
Somehow it was a missing piece in my musical bag.

I guess everyone has his own preferences when it comes to listening.

I am sure my D2 is correct as source. It drives very well the M8.In addition I am also using the Atrio with the Cowon X5 line-out connected to the Go Vibe7 amp and I like it alot!
tongue.gif
It is very good with the Atrio. They handle well the expanded sound the amp delivers.
Even if they do not need an amp to work very well.

Regards,

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #860 of 2,359
I started out here at head-fi last year with shures - I bought e2, e3, e4, then e5 (never got the e500's). I've always been a fan of IEMs too, i like the phones being in my ear and good isolation is key. I've had the m5's for about two weeks and I am completely in love. When I first tried them - like everyone else - I thought the bass was out of control. But, after I let the burn in for about a day I was hooked from there on out. Absolutely amazing. Anyone still thinking about buying them just do it and you'll like em. Thanks OP for creating this thread 43 pages ago!!

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #861 of 2,359
Does anyone know good foamies or flanages for these things besides the stock ones? They seem great but I'm afraid after a while I might either loose them or they destoryed lol! I just got these yesterday and the large flanages makes a great seal, burned them in for hours and this thing is sounding beautiful!

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #866 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And don't forget the inverted olive, whereby you put them on the Atrios "upside down" for an even better fit. Works for me and others on Head-Fi.

I agree with this. I didn't have much luck with the olives normally installed on the Atrios, but based on the recommendations here I put them on backwards and it was MUCH better!

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #868 of 2,359
I think that, inverted, the Shures fit more like the stock Future Sonics foamies (which are "squared off," not tapered, at the ends). I've "un-inverted" mine for now, though. Still experimenting with size ... the larges are so large that inverting them seems like overkill ... I might order a set of mediums.

aznsniper911 -- because the large Shure black foamies are so large, unless you have cavernous ears, maybe the mediums would be a good place to start.

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #869 of 2,359
I bought some med olives and have been using them about a week. At first they were so comfy, but now are starting to hurt, I use they all day (student). Does anyone want to swap some mediums for some smalls? PM me if you would like to trade.

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #870 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aznsniper911 -- because the large Shure black foamies are so large, unless you have cavernous ears, maybe the mediums would be a good place to start.

Do you know if the Shure medium are bigger then then those that came with the M5? Because it seems the large is a bit too big and the medium is too smal, need something a bit in the middle lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back