Futuresonics Atrio M5
Apr 30, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #121 of 2,359
The SofterWear sleeves should work on the EM3, the ExtremeMac FS1, or the Atrio. The same foam and silicon sleeves work fine for all of these, so I see no reason the SofterWear wouldn't as well.

-Packgrog

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #122 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys - you think the M5s sound good? Try them with a pair of Shure's new black foamies! Holy cow! They are not only uber comfy but they give you an amazing seal. And you've all heard me say it more than once - the M5s need a good seal to perform their best. Well, with the Shure tips I just fell in love all over again. I'm listening to a current fav downtempo electronic track and i'm hearing more detail and the bass - whoa! some of the low hits felt like i had subwoofers strapped to my ears! but good deep resonating bass. Not flabby at all. EDIT: Only large left.

My shure black foamies haven't arrived yet.....GRRRRRRR, now I really want them after hearing Warrior's impressions. I'm going to have to contact Earphonesolutions soon if they don't arrive. I ordered them a few days before you did Warrior, how messed up is that? I wonder if they got out of stock right when I ordered, even though their site said in stock. Also expecting delivery of my Kenwood hd10gb7 player; better source should help too.

-Chris.

Monday morning work update: They are here! I just stuffed 'em in my ears, and am going through some of my favorite songs. Luckily the larges are perfect for me. I like how quickly they expand and seal up. Man the isolation is awesome though!!

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #123 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Monday morning work update: They are here! I just stuffed 'em in my ears, and am going through some of my favorite songs. Luckily the larges are perfect for me. I like how quickly they expand and seal up. Man the isolation is awesome though!!

Yeah, they isolate so well I find it a bit disorienting. I mean it is kind of weird when you can barely even hear yourself doing things.
blink.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #124 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys - you think the M5s sound good? Try them with a pair of Shure's new black foamies! Holy cow! They are not only uber comfy but they give you an amazing seal. And you've all heard me say it more than once - the M5s need a good seal to perform their best. Well, with the Shure tips I just fell in love all over again. I'm listening to a current fav downtempo electronic track and i'm hearing more detail and the bass - whoa! some of the low hits felt like i had subwoofers strapped to my ears! but good deep resonating bass. Not flabby at all...EDIT: Only large left.

I agree with warrior. Tries foamies today and m5s sound amazing! Way better than with double flanges that I previously used. I would say that midrange is a bit recessed with them, while bass being much stronger, while highs are about the same.

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #125 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by visia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with warrior. Tries foamies today and m5s sound amazing! Way better than with double flanges that I previously used. I would say that midrange is a bit recessed with them, while bass being much stronger, while highs are about the same.

I think I'm with you both here.... bass is stronger (although I must have had a pretty decent seal with the large flange tips, because it is not as dramatic as Warrior described), and the isolation is ridiculous. But the comfort is what really improved. They feel so secure in my ears without being too tight... perfection fit-wise. These Shure foamies rock.

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #126 of 2,359
I am wondering if the low/mid's have i nice punch to them. not enough to overwhelm but enough to feel?

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #127 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frostychrist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am wondering if the low/mid's have i nice punch to them. not enough to overwhelm but enough to feel?

That's the perfect way to describe it. The lows have real presence, the kind that provides a rock solid underpinning to the music withouth overhwelming it.

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #128 of 2,359
I'm waiting for my Shure foamies to arrive. The M5's continue to amaze me as they continue to burn-in. Iwas happy with my EM3s' but I'm glad I took the plunge for these. Unamped with my iPod they sound phenominal. They sound even better with the MiniBox-D amp (MiniBox-E on the way).

For the pricepoint and quality, I feel Future Sonics are one of the best kept secrets for IEM's. While most people go for the highly advertised (relatively speaking), Future Sonics sneaks under the radar.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #129 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SofterWear sleeves should work on the EM3, the ExtremeMac FS1, or the Atrio. The same foam and silicon sleeves work fine for all of these, so I see no reason the SofterWear wouldn't as well.

-Packgrog

Just found out from FS that my older customer sleeves (before SofterWear) may not work (explanation below), so I may have to go with the Shure black foamies as well (will try some of the foamies I have here first).

Oh well, will have to wait and see when the M5s arrive. I had my custom sleeves made more than two years ago for the EM3s. Doh!

(This came today from FS when I asked about the older customer soft sleeves)

Tom

The old sleeves may or may not fit. Both nozzles are tapered, the nozzle on the Atrio™ series earpieces are slightly shorter. Because this is a taper fit some of the sleeves don’t allow the nozzle to go in far enough to lock in. You would have to try yours, as the nozzle hole on the older sleeves sometimes has changed with aging. The new SofterWear™ sleeves are made from silicone and do not have that issue.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #130 of 2,359
I wonder how you'll like the Atrio, tstarn06, given that you use the Etys. Not sure if the Atrio will be as detailed (though I'd love to hear your opinion on that after they've had enough burn-in). They seem to have VASTLY different approaches to sound reproduction. The Atrio sure is a lot more detailed than the EM3, but who knows how it will stand up to the strong point of a $300 IEM. Please post your impressions when you can!

-Packgrog

Apr 30, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #131 of 2,359
Well this is my 1st post here and I've been lurking for a while...

I bought both the Atrio M5 and the Yuin PK1 and am impressed with both. I do like the sound of the M5, a lot but I just can't get a good comfy fit with either the foam or the other sleeves. The pressure they seem to create just gives me a headache after only a couple of minutes.

I've ordered a pair of the Shure Black Foam in medium so hopefully they'll give me a better more comfortable fit.

Steve

May 1, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #133 of 2,359
Mine have finally arrived. Terrible boomy bass to begin with, but with more burn in it's settling down. Still a bit subdued in the treble though. Will see how they go.

May 1, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #134 of 2,359
Received my black shure foam tips today. Very pleased with the comfort they offer, i thought the foam tips which came with the M5's were comfy, but these are even more comfy. Just like Warrior mentioned they also feel a lot more secure in the ear. The seal and isolation has improved, the tips have a kind of sticky interface and when you put it in your ear you feel it forming tight bond with the skin, so much so that sometimes when you twist the tips you feel it tugging on the skin too.
I've also perfected the over the ear fit today which played a role in improving the comfort and fit.
Well recommend these as they improve the fit and comfort....they also look really good on the end of the M5's
tongue.gif

May 1, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #135 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how you'll like the Atrio, tstarn06, given that you use the Etys. Not sure if the Atrio will be as detailed (though I'd love to hear your opinion on that after they've had enough burn-in). They seem to have VASTLY different approaches to sound reproduction. The Atrio sure is a lot more detailed than the EM3, but who knows how it will stand up to the strong point of a $300 IEM. Please post your impressions when you can!

-Packgrog

Yeah, I am concerned a little,. But I sold off a couple of sets (Vibes, EM3s) to help offset the costs. Plus, as I noted earlier, I found an ebay seller who has them for $130, so I figured why not. If they are not detailed enough, I will sell them used for the price I paid. The PK2s and Ksc75s are great for my "open" portable needs (poker mainly), and the Etys and (hopefully) M5s will handle my portable "closed" needs (trains, planes, etc.). I use my Grado SR-80s for home listening, for the most part. Might have to step up to MS1s, after what I have been reading.

So I will do a comparison between the Etys and the M5s, though I am hardly an "audiophille" type.

Question. For burn-in, do you recommend pink noise or just standard music for the M5s? And how long?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back